The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 2, 2015, 08:37 PM   #1
mark clausen

K22 grips

I am wondering about the grips on this gun. I am researching some family guns for a friend. I believe it to be a K22 Outdoorsman, 1930s vintage. The medallion on the grips has no S&W logo on them. Not a trace as in worn off. I took the grips off and found no identifying marks on the inside whatsoever. No serial no. nothing. I'm thinking maybe replacement grips? They look correct but with no logo it doesn't seem right. Also am i right about K22 Outdoorsman? Thanks for any help. BTW that is grease on the gun, it is in amazing shape.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old August 4, 2015, 09:33 AM   #2
highpower3006

It looks to me like those may have been a set of S&W stocks that were sanded down some and the checkering recut. Hard to tell from just one picture, but I think I can see the ghost of the center diamond around the screw escutcheon. Original stocks would have been numbered to the gun, so even if they are "real" S&W stocks, they are most certainly not off of that gun.

The prices of pre-war Smith and Wesson stocks have gone through the roof in recent years, but I think I would be on the lookout for a nice set of Magnas for that beauty.

Forgot to add. that is indeed a K22 Outdoorsman. A serial number would tell us when it was made.

For God's sake, take it out of that holster and store it in a better manner, You can clearly see where the brass snap has left verdigris on the gun's frame.
Old August 4, 2015, 10:40 PM   #3
mark clausen

Thanks highpower. I don't have a better answer for these grips. The gun is in amazing shape so the odd grips just don't make sense. About the holster. it is full of cosmoline or something. when you pull the gun out it has all this grease on it. does not seemed to have harmed the original gun blue. It has been addressed. Thanks for the info.
Old August 4, 2015, 11:13 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

That gun originally came with the old style stocks; when the Magnum stocks came out first on the .357 Magnum, they were much desired by others both for appearance and for easier handling of recoil. But, IIRC, S&W would not sell them separate, so after-market makers responded to the demand. IMHO, those stocks are contemporary with the gun and I would not change them even if you did find a set of the original type stocks.

P.S. If they are factory (which as I said above, I doubt) the right hand one will have the serial number stamped or inked on the back.

Jim