The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 5, 2018, 10:11 PM   #26
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Always two center fire. Don't shoot pistol anymore. Just long guns and I reload on site (benchrest) to conserve components.
Old July 5, 2018, 11:31 PM   #27
Water-Man

From one to three, depending on the firearms.
Old July 6, 2018, 12:00 AM   #28
KY_blkout

I'm trying to downsize how many I usually bring lately. Before it would be 5-7 now I'm trying to not do more than 3 to get better quality practice in instead of feeling rushed to shoot every gun I brought.
Old July 6, 2018, 06:52 AM   #29
thallub

Usually take one gun to the range: Never more than two.
Old July 6, 2018, 09:56 AM   #30
Wag

When we lived in Southern California, the two nearest outdoor ranges were a two-hour drive away from us so we'd take dang nearly everything with us. We always had a ton of fun shooting but the cleaning chores were a deterrent.

Now, I live 15 minutes from the range and I only usually take two or three pistols and a couple of rifles. It just depends on my mood. If I'm helping a new shooter decide what pistols to buy, I'll take most of my handguns. If I'm teaching someone to shoot, I definitely bring a revolver and a couple of large frame pistols as well as a .22LR rifle.

--Wag--
Old July 6, 2018, 03:21 PM   #31
J.G. Terry

Shot in an informal Bullseye course Wednesday-7/4. Carried four handguns. One 45 and a 22 for the match. Fired 9mm after everybody had gone home. Other .22 was not fired. It was a great day.
Old July 7, 2018, 08:14 AM   #32
joe45c

Always at least 2 never more than 3. I don't have a hand gun permit, so don't do hand guns. Don't mind the cleaning part of it. Gives me more time with my guns.
Old July 7, 2018, 11:23 AM   #33
Metal god

So does the saying " I need more guns so I can take less " make sense to anyone ? I have two 9mm , one is a small carry type the other is my SD/HD gun that's set up for that purpose in it's own lock box . I don't like disturbing the SD/HD gun because it's just the way I want it and ready if need be . The little carry gun is good but nothing I want to shoot all day so 9mm is out for me . So that means I'll want to get some time with the carry gun but will likely bring another to plink with the rest of the day . Unless I buy another 9mm lol ????

Then there's the issue of having a new load work up for another hand gun I'm going to test on Monday so now that's 3 handguns I'll be taking . I'll also take at least one rifle , likely two so I'm at 4 or 5 with out even trying .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; July 7, 2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old July 7, 2018, 02:13 PM   #34
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I don't like disturbing the SD/HD gun because it's just the way I want it and ready if need be . The little carry gun is good but nothing I want to shoot all day so 9mm is out for me .
Once I am firmly settled on an SD/HD or carry gun, I start looking for a good deal on a duplicate model. There are a number of reasons why it might be a good idea to have a second copy of a self-defense/"working" gun, including the one you stated.
Old July 8, 2018, 06:41 PM   #35
tlm225

Today my grandson and I took four rifles and two handguns to the range. Usually when I'm shooting, I've taken just enough but once I start cleaning them, I took too many.
Old July 9, 2018, 05:04 PM   #36
m&p45acp10+1

On a typical trip I will take 10. 8 will be handguns that fit into one backpack. The two rifles will fit into on double rifle case. I tend to put the ammo for them into 3 ammo cans. When I get to the range they get the cart with the trailer when they see my truck pull into the parking lot.

I do not always shoot all of the handguns. Though I keep them in the pack for storage so I have the option to shoot them all if I wish to. Also cleaning is done at the range before leaving to go home.
Old July 10, 2018, 01:48 AM   #37
Metal god

I took 7 today and 2 did not get used , 1 because I forgot it was there and I needed to function test it because it was used but new to me . The other I never got to .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 11, 2018, 01:53 AM   #38
Scorch

Went to the range yesterday with friends, 3 rifles and 7 handguns, along with about 300 rounds of ammo. It was a lot of fun. I was going to say it was a blast, but that would be a bad pun, so I won't say that.
Old July 12, 2018, 12:24 PM   #39
tony pasley

Since my range is my front yard I have to say all of them every time
Old July 12, 2018, 03:40 PM   #40
TrueBlue711

I used to bring 5 - 6 guns, so I get most "bang for the buck" with the gun range entry fee. Now that I'm a member at my range and can go as much as I want during the year, I go more often and only bring 1 - 2 guns per trip.
Old July 15, 2018, 08:49 AM   #41
stangbangr

I normally take one pistol. Sometimes I take a long gun too. I’ve found it harder to improve my shooting when switching back and forth between guns. I like to work on a certain timed drill per Range trip. If I’m taking guests I will take an assortment with me.
Old July 15, 2018, 09:12 AM   #42
Jdin8455

1-2
I typically take my SR22 and 100-200 rounds, and a 9mm with a box of 50
Old July 15, 2018, 10:43 AM   #43
montanaoffroader

Typical range trip, 1-4 rifles and 2-6 handguns. Generally 1 or 2 rifles to shoot, and maybe 1 or 2 that need sighting in, function testing, etc. Same with handguns, my carry gun (always on me), 1 or 2 to shoot and maybe few others to test.
Old July 15, 2018, 11:13 AM   #44
craddleshooter

its all about intention, you have an idea of what you want before you get to the Range. i usually like to warm up my handguns and carry guns at the range....i do a lot of Long Range Hunting and shooting so my precision rifles and rimfire get a little action too.
Old July 15, 2018, 12:11 PM   #45
Glenn E. Meyer

To a match - the main comp gun and a similar backup usually. Also a carry gun for after the match or going to it.
Old July 15, 2018, 06:54 PM   #46
jackstrawIII

If heading to the rifle range, I bring 4. I find that to be the right balance of: trips to the truck carrying the things, waiting for barrels to cool, and what my shoulder can handle.

If heading to the pistol range: anywhere from 1 (to force myself to focus on that one) to over a dozen. I bought a small-suitcase sized pistol carrier that has made it much simpler to move that much iron. I shoot pistols on my own property, sometimes by myself, but often with friends. I enjoy sharing my guns with my friends who may not have as many.
Old July 15, 2018, 07:09 PM   #47
pete2

It varies, last time it was 5.
Old August 6, 2018, 04:52 PM   #48
Willcam

I usally take 3 with me a couple of long guns and a handgun, some times 2 hand guns.
Old August 6, 2018, 06:55 PM   #49
grinner

I go weekly to an indoor range. I usually take 2 — the primary I want to focus on, and a second, “just for fun” gun. Right now, I rotate my S&W TRR8 and SIG 1911 as primary and Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Magnum as fun. I find if I shoot more than 100 rounds at a time, I get tired and my accuracy degrades at the end.

Plus, I can’t imagine hauling in a dozen guns!
Old August 6, 2018, 08:40 PM   #50
Jim Watson

Match: One, even though lots of people are doubling up with PCC in IDPA, USPSA, and especially SC.

Practice: Two, .22 and centerfire.

Experimental: Four last time, which was a lot.