The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 29, 2022, 12:25 PM   #26
stagpanther

There's nothing tedious about reloading the 280 AI--in fact it is extremely flexible in just about all respects (bullets, powder, COL, seating etc).

This thread has inspired me--here's some 190 VLDs seated to 3.478"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7875.jpg (152.9 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; September 29, 2022 at 01:57 PM.
Old September 30, 2022, 01:11 PM   #27
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
There's nothing tedious about reloading the 280 AI--in fact it is extremely flexible in just about all respects (bullets, powder, COL, seating etc).

This thread has inspired me--here's some 190 VLDs seated to 3.478"

Purdy
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old October 1, 2022, 04:29 PM   #28
Right to bear arms

According to a recent survey, most deer prefer to be shot with a high BC bullet. This would exclude the .270 winchester. If you have a m an bun a 6.5 creedmore would be perfect!
Old October 2, 2022, 02:33 PM   #29
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right to bear arms View Post
According to a recent survey, most deer prefer to be shot with a high BC bullet. This would exclude the .270 winchester. If you have a m an bun a 6.5 creedmore would be perfect!
Hahahaha, this might just be my favorite comment on this entire thread. Love your sense of humor
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old October 3, 2022, 06:40 AM   #30
stagpanther

Quote:
Not true--manbunnery has come even to .270 with the recent introduction of ultra-high BC bullets and high twist barrels.
Old October 5, 2022, 07:46 AM   #31
Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by amprecon View Post
Personally I'd go 7mm-08
My thoughts exactly.
Old October 5, 2022, 08:02 AM   #32
JustJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by amprecon
Personally I'd go 7mm-08.
Yep. A commonly available cartridge with a field-proven rep.

And no man-bunnery.
Old October 5, 2022, 11:51 AM   #33
hseII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old October 5, 2022, 05:42 PM   #34
stagpanther

Except for the bigger 7mm bullets--they are actually quite hard to find right now much under 168 grs. I had to cough up big bucks for these cutting Edge 130 gr MTH solids, the only ones I could find in that weight. Just loaded some into 7mm-08. Maybe not manbunnery--but definitely semi-quiche.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7913.jpg (117.4 KB, 119 views)
Old October 5, 2022, 06:24 PM   #35
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
Yep. A commonly available cartridge with a field-proven rep.

And no man-bunnery.
I am not sure why people throw around the whole "field proven" ideal. Think about it this way. What difference would being field proven make exactly? Being older somehow makes it better? the 280AI is to the 7mm-08 Rem what the 30-06 Springfield is to the 308 Win.

With the 280AI I can shoot heavier bullets and do so at the same speed the 7mm-08 will launch the lighter bullets. By your logic, instead, we should all be shooting the 30-06, or 7x57. Let us not forget that Ackley was shooting the 280 AI and nearly generating 7mm Remington magnum velocities before Remington introduced the 7mm Remington magnum in 1962.

The idea here is that I do not want a 7mm-08. I want to shoot heavier bullets faster than the 7mm-08 is capable of doing. And I want to do it without using a belted case, and using less powder than the 7mm Remington magnum. See what you think is a bad choice, is a choice I made after carefully considering what I wanted, and how best to get it.

Also, how about the fact that the 280 Rem, 280AI, and the 7mm Remington magnum all predate the 7mm-08. Even though the 280 AI was not standardized until 2007.
– St. Augustine
Old October 6, 2022, 07:28 AM   #36
Shadow9mm

Honestly, seems like you have your bases covered pretty well. Based on what you have it seems to be splitting hairs with the 280ai.

If you want it, get it. But "need".... imho no.
Old October 6, 2022, 12:41 PM   #37
kilotanker22

I guess the word "need" may have been an exaggeration.
– St. Augustine
Old October 6, 2022, 01:16 PM   #38
MarkCO

Yeah!

It is a great cartridge. I got sick and tired of suggesting it as a slightly elevated option to the .30-06 and .270 that I went ahead and put one together for myself.

Defiant action, TT Diamond trigger, 24" barrel, KRG stock, Burris XTRIII in Hawkins Hybrids. I'll probably still hunt Elk with the .338-06, but use this for Deer and Pronghorn and a rare ELR match and the 2K challenge. Expecting surgery in a few weeks (neck issues and a lot of pain) so I might not get the loading done for it, but I am very happy with the build.

Handing down my .30-06 to my oldest and the .270 to the youngest really did make me "need" this, and I had sold off my 7mm Mags.
Old October 6, 2022, 06:24 PM   #39
std7mag

Too bad, i would have made you a heck of a deal on a Mauser in 284 Win.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old October 7, 2022, 04:56 AM   #40
stagpanther

Quote:
Too bad, i would have made you a heck of a deal on a Mauser in 284 Win
Didn't you have that made not long ago? I thought you liked it?
Old October 7, 2022, 07:02 AM   #41
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag
Too bad, i would have made you a heck of a deal on a Mauser in 284 Win

Tired of lugging it around!

.280 AI is one I havent played with, but I have played with a similar wildcat .280 GNR. Also played with the 7-08mm, .280 Rem, and 7mm Rem Mag all I can say is it's just a different way to skin a cat. You're not going to notice much of a difference between that and your .30-06.

If you want some with less recoil than your 06, you'll probably find yourself still gravitating to your 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting and the range. It will still be a good cartridge to have fun with so I'm all for it. I myself might be getting a 7-08 in the future since I have a suppressor now or a .277 Fury if I want to buy a Sig Cross. I'm into short barrels and using suppressor so my cartridge choices are changing.
Old October 7, 2022, 07:27 AM   #42
stagpanther

Quote:
Tired of lugging it around!

.280 AI is one I havent played with, but I have played with a similar wildcat .280 GNR. Also played with the 7-08mm, .280 Rem, and 7mm Rem Mag all I can say is it's just a different way to skin a cat. You're not going to notice much of a difference between that and your .30-06.

If you want some with less recoil than your 06, you'll probably find yourself still gravitating to your 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting and the range. It will still be a good cartridge to have fun with so I'm all for it. I myself might be getting a 7-08 in the future since I have a suppressor now or a .277 Fury if I want to buy a Sig Cross. I'm into short barrels and using suppressor so my cartridge choices are changing.
The beauty of the 280 AI--who's recoil I don't find to be anywhere near that of a 30-06 but then my rifle is pretty heavy--is that it can typically be loaded to any length with any bullet since it's typically fitted to a long action+ action. Get a fast twist barrel and you can load any 7mm bullet, though bullets like the berger 190 gr vld are bumping at the limit. All of the short action flavors are going to be problematic in your choice of bullets (except maybe the fatty short magnums--but good luck with finding brass).
Old October 7, 2022, 09:35 AM   #43
taylorce1

It's just a matter of physics. The same weight rifle, bullet, and powder charge the recoil will be very similar regardless of bullet diameter. The .284 Win makes more sense to me in a long action than the .280 AI. You'll have a similar powder capacity and plenty of room to seat long bullets.
Old October 7, 2022, 10:12 AM   #44
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
It's just a matter of physics. The same weight rifle, bullet, and powder charge the recoil will be very similar regardless of bullet diameter. The .284 Win makes more sense to me in a long action than the .280 AI. You'll have a similar powder capacity and plenty of room to seat long bullets.
.284 Win is one that I considered heavily. However, there are not many rifles chambered for it from the factory.
– St. Augustine
Old October 7, 2022, 10:37 AM   #45
stagpanther

Quote:
The .284 Win makes more sense to me in a long action than the .280 AI
I'd agree with that--even a 284 AI or Shehane with faster twist. But the 284 win I have is made for SA.
Old October 7, 2022, 12:01 PM   #46
old roper

stagpanther, I have both and one problem for my 284 it's a wildcat.
NRA Life Member
Old October 7, 2022, 02:26 PM   #47
stagpanther

Quote:
stagpanther, I have both and one problem for my 284 it's a wildcat.
You mean you have both the 280 AI and Shehane? My understanding is you can redo a 284 win for both/either.
Old October 7, 2022, 07:30 PM   #48
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
The .284 Win makes more sense to me in a long action than the .280 AI. You'll have a similar powder capacity and plenty of room to seat long bullets.
As a reloader, the beauty of the .280AI over the .284 Win and the 7mm Mag is significant. I have two batches of 100 cases for mine. Those will last for a lot longer than the barrel will.
Old October 8, 2022, 07:15 AM   #49
std7mag

I built the rifle 3 or so years ago.

I do like the rifle.
But as mentioned, i HATE lugging it around!
A 10lb rifle doesn't suit my hunting style.

I have plans on another 284Win, but much lighter!

Has maybe 200-250 rounds down the tube.

That & i'm trying to get my new Mark V in 7mm WBY Magnum up & running by bear season.
Been a busy year so far getting loads worked up for new to me rifles i hadn't planned on, and one i had planned.

Savage 111 in 257 Roberts AI. This was my planned on rifle from last year.
Loads worked up for 115gr Berger VLD & 120gr Partition.

Took the 250 Savage barrel off of my Stevens 200, and put a 7mm-08 barrel from a Savage Axis II back on. After reaming it to "AI", of course.

250 Savage barrel is now on an Axis II action. Looking at stocks for it now.

Browning A Bolt in 25 WSSM.
Have loads worked out for 115gr Berger VLD & 115gr Ballistic Tip.

Ruger 77 MKII in 25-06. Put Wolfe spring kit in.
Loads worked up for 120gr Sierra HPBT GameKings & 115gr Berger VLD.

Along with 2 new pistols & work ups for those.

H&K VP9 shooting 125gr Sig V Crowns over Alliant Be 86.
Walther PPQ M2 in 45ACP with 185gr Sierra JHP over Be 86.

And with the new Mark V Weathermark LT & 7mm WBY cartridge, i just haven't had much time for the 284 Win.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old October 8, 2022, 11:56 AM   #50
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag
Ruger 77 MKII in 25-06. Put Wolfe spring kit in.
Loads worked up for 120gr Sierra HPBT GameKings & 115gr Berger VLD.
Do tell….what does the Wolfe spring kit do?