The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 14, 1999, 07:13 PM   #1
Mike Baugh

I am looking for a tactical sling along the lines of the Giles for my HBAR II . Is this the one to buy or is there a better choice out there . Thanks , Mike...
Old March 14, 1999, 09:37 PM   #2
Rob Pincus

Mike you really should check out the Chalker Harness system.

It is pretty darn cool. Ambidextrous, youcan't get choked with it, no sling to get tangled up in. You need to grapple, use a knife/tool or go to a sidearm and it just hangs right on your chest. It is pretty neat-o little set-up.

Check it out at the GSGI site, in the links section of TFL.
Old March 15, 1999, 06:51 PM   #3
Jeff White

I've got a tactical sling from "The Tactical Taylor" it's like the Giles sling but it uses wide webbing and has a quick release buckle.
Olympic Arms sells them. Supposedly some units at Ft Lewis WA have purchased them for use with their M4s.

Some people think the wider webbing is more comfortable to wear for long periods, but I find my Giles sling about as comfortable.

I'd like to actually see the Chalker system sometime. I've always been a little leary of buying something I've only seen pictures of. It looks like a great system though.

Jeff
Old March 16, 1999, 07:20 PM   #4
Jeff White

Erik,
Go to http://www.olyarms.com click on the USA side and go to the retail products catalog. Go to Nylon Accessories and click on tactical slings. This will bring up some good photos and drawings of the Tactical Taylor sling. I have two of them on 20 inch ARs. The fastex buckle makes taking them off or putting them on very easy.
Jeff
Old March 20, 1999, 05:46 PM   #5
Hilton

I've been using the Giles for a few years, and find it to be a worthy version of the classic HK sling, adapted to the AR family. It's durable and comfortable, and not so wide as to catch on load bearing equipment. The Tactical Taylor sling has many fans, but I'm still not sure I like the idea of having a Fastex buckle in the middle of the sling -- with my luck, it'll quick detach when I don't want it to.
JFS/Boonie Packer also makes a 3 pt sling of somewhat lighter weight webbing, and it includes a fast release catch that locks the sliding point of the sling in place. This is an interesting feature, though the tradeoff is that this sling does not track freely in the back like the HK/Giles.
The Chalker system is a good one if you need to hump the weapon all day. It does everything that a properly set up HK sling does, but spreads the load over both shoulders with a H harness. The quick release hook makes it quick to remove the weapon, though some have said that it's a little too quick -- their weapon fell off at a bad time. The main downside to the Chalker system is that you must put the harness on, making it a bigger to-do than simply slinging a traditionally slung weapon.