The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 31, 2004, 09:59 PM   #1
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Choosing gun for 200-yard NRA Highpower competition?

Hey, all, I was just sitting here wondering what I should shoot in my first Highpower match at a 200 yard range, and I thought to myself, "Self, you moderate a competition shooting forum at one of the best shooting forums on the entire world wide web, so what are you doing asking yourself these questions? You don't know anything about this stuff."

I've got a K31 and a sporterized Swedish Mauser. Dad's got a fairly nice Garand, and the club has loaner Garands, but those aren't my rifles. What do you think?

No advice to buy a rifle, please. If that were an option I'd just buy a metric FAL and be done with it. No yo tengo dinero!
Old June 1, 2004, 09:02 AM   #2
ACP230

I'd borrow the Garand.
I started out using a 1917 Enfield in .30-06. It thumped me pretty well, and was slow on the reload for me.

After just a few matches I started borrowing a club Garand.
Shortly, I owned a "Blue Sky" Garand, bought from Woolworths.
I used that old veteran happily until the M1A bug bit me.
I still have the Garand, and don't plan to ever get rid of it.

The Highpower matches appear to have links to World War II era marksmanship training. Another reason why the M1 would be a good idea.
Old June 5, 2004, 09:51 AM   #3
ACP230

I'm surprised no one else chimed in here.
I guess I just overwhelmed them with my flawless logic!

I'm curious: what rifle did you use?
Old June 5, 2004, 05:09 PM   #4
Major Kong

Option: Sell everything and buy a Bushmaster AR competition model.

Or use the Garand, they are not competitive anymore, but that won't matter until you master the use of the sling.
Old June 7, 2004, 01:01 PM   #5
ebrackenbury

Highpower Competition Rifle

I would have to concur with Major Kong on the off-the-shelf CMP Bushmaster. Although there are modifications from this basic rifle that you might want to do at some point this gun, with some nice handloads does extremely well right out of the box. The first match that I shot with it was the WA state service rifle champs and I scored a 455 in the EIC match. The WA state HP champs were this last weekend and I shot another 455. Both not the greatest of scores but very respectable for a out of the box rifle. I would suggest a jewell trigger set, which I have not yet done, and add some handguard lead.

Ethan
Old June 8, 2004, 12:22 AM   #6
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Quote:
Option: Sell everything and buy a Bushmaster AR competition model.
Homey don't sell guns.

I appreciate the well-meaning advice, but I'm not going to go out and buy another gun right now. I have much better places to spend my money at the moment. I also don't need a fancy trigger set or a specialized competition rifle, nor do I know what "handguard lead" means. This is because I am a complete beginner. It sounds like the consensus given those parameters is the Garand, so I'll have to steal dad's.

I haven't shot a match yet. I'll let you know when I do, no matter how ugly it is.
Old June 8, 2004, 05:05 AM   #7
Major Kong

You may want to read Tubb's new book. It's pretty good. I'd also take the Garand to the range and make sure it will group. I've seen Garands shoot groups that look like a shotgun pattern.

See if someone at the range will let you shoot their AR. If you get serious about match shooting, it's where you'll need to go anyway.
Old June 8, 2004, 09:35 AM   #8
ebrackenbury

Highpower Match

Let me know what you think of it when you do shoot a match. I hope that you do well and continue shooting, it is great fun.

Ethan
Old June 24, 2004, 10:07 PM   #9
trapperready

Use the Garand. Shoot in as many matches as you can. Get hooked.

Then, scrape together the bucks to get a competition upper from White Oak Precision (now selling under White Oak Armaments). They're put together by John Holliger and some of the best available... and they're in Illinois. Mate that with the lower of your choice and a decent trigger and you're set.

Oh yeah, then you'll need/want the spotting scope, stand, Ray-Vin sight blacker, shooting coat, matt, cart, stool, glove, Les-Tam sling, reloading equipment, match-grade reloading components, ballistics software, 20 rd magazines, enough land to set up your very own 600 yard range, etc...

Yup... shoot a few for fun. Then it starts getting almost as expensive as golf.

BTW, not selling guns is VERY wise.
Old August 9, 2004, 10:49 PM   #10
houndawg

Don, where are you shooting Highpower? I can't find any matches down here in my area.
Old August 14, 2004, 12:59 AM   #11
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I STILL haven't shot a match, but I shoot at Abe Lincoln Gun Club just outside Springfield. I know the Taylorville Rifle and Pistol Club has highpower matches, too.

What part of Illinois do you roam?
Old August 14, 2004, 01:01 AM   #12
houndawg

Don,

Same place I lived last time you asked.

Carbondale
Old August 16, 2004, 08:45 PM   #13
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Uhhhhh . . . oh, yeah.
Old August 18, 2004, 02:05 PM   #14
Handy

Don,

If you have the ammo and strippers, I'd be tempted to take advantage of the excellent accuracy and trigger on that K-31.

BUT, if it is a windy day, the Garand's windage adjustable sight might be appreciated. If you use a Garand the old hands will have an easier job coaching you since they know that rifle's sights and sling.
Old August 18, 2004, 06:15 PM   #15
Barry in IN

Garand.
If you need any help- from initial sight setting, to how many clicks of wind to use, to forgetting your ammo, to needing a spare part- you will have the help before you can ask.
My guess is that most shooters there have shot at least one match, if not a lot of matches with one.

I just returned to HighPower after about a four-year hiatus. It looked to me like the Garand is experiencing a little bit of a comeback- at least around here.