The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 22, 2019, 10:38 PM   #176
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNS
A goodly portion of mass shootings and crime against persons in general happen outside of GFZs.
It's almost impossible to quantify how much crime in general occurs in gun-free zones as opposed to outside. Since much of the discussion has been about responding to mass shootings, and those are easier to quantify, lets look at that. How far back do you want to go?

Over the past ten years, according to statistics I have compiled from reports on mass shootings, there have been 102 school or mass shootings in the United States. Of those, 64 were in gun-free zones, 27 were in known non-gun-free zones, and the remaining 11 were in places I have not been able to determine the status of. Even if we assume that all of the undetermined locations were not gun-free zones, the incidents in gun-free zones would still outnumber those outside gun-free zones by a ratio of almost 2:1.
Jeepaholic
Old September 24, 2019, 04:14 AM   #177
MTT TL

Many of the shootings are school shooting that are executed by students and former students.

I don't think they are targeting the school because it is gun free. Many schools actually have an armed guard. They target the school because that is where there demented, drug addled minds perceive their enemies. They really don't have anywhere else to take out their angst other than school.
Old September 24, 2019, 07:10 PM   #178
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Many of the shootings are school shooting that are executed by students and former students.

I don't think they are targeting the school because it is gun free.
This is a good point. In some cases, a mass shooter may just want to kill a lot of people. In that kind of scenario, they might look around to find a gun free zone. I don't know that they do, more likely they just look around to find a target-rich environment and then go for it.

BUT, if they're targeting specific persons, or groups of persons, that focus likely takes priority over other aspects of the venue selection.

For example, a person who is irrationally furious with coworkers is unlikely to pick a venue other than their workplace regardless of whether it's a gun free zone or not.
Old December 3, 2019, 04:58 PM   #179
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottycoyote View Post
.... Even on vacation at the beach, had a sling pack with a pistol in it on my towel while im swimming in the ocean.......im to the point now i immediately notice and feel odd those few times i somehow end up out and about and dont have a gun.
Would you go into more detail about how you carry at the beach?

I don't carry when I go there because my only reason for visiting the beach is to swim, and that would mean to leave the gun unattended.

I struggle with the same dilemma when going to the gym or pool, although there I can put the gun in a locker. Again, if I put it in my gym bag while I work out at the weight machine or when I am actually in the pool swimming, it would mean leaving the gun unattended.
Old December 5, 2019, 03:11 AM   #180
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
It Does No Good To Have A Permit and NOT Carry
Up until a recent gun control law having a CHL still did me some good when I wasn't carrying. It allowed me to purchase a handgun and bypass my state's waiting period.

They took that away from us with the latest background check law passed in my state. NOW, it doesn't matter if you have a CHL or not, you still have to wait.
Old December 5, 2019, 07:24 AM   #181
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Up until a recent gun control law having a CHL still did me some good when I wasn't carrying. It allowed me to purchase a handgun and bypass my state's waiting period.

They took that away from us with the latest background check law passed in my state. NOW, it doesn't matter if you have a CHL or not, you still have to wait.
How long is the waiting period?..just curious.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 5, 2019, 11:53 AM   #182
OneFreeTexan

For me, in Michigan, with a CPL, the average wait is less than five minutes.
Old December 5, 2019, 01:21 PM   #183
Don Fischer

I don't have to wait long but I'd think with a CDL you wouldn't need to wait at all!
Old December 5, 2019, 06:59 PM   #184
Ricklin

In Washington

It's when the locals get around to approving your purchase.

Your local PD must send a proceed back to the seller. My last one took about two weeks. There was a hoiiday in there.
Old December 6, 2019, 12:12 AM   #185
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
How long is the waiting period?..just curious.
Long, Long ago (in a galaxy right here) it was 3 business days.
And, if the store didn't get a "thou shalt not" from the police in those 3 days they could hand over the gun.
Unless you had a CHL. Then there was no wait.

Now, under the current law, there is no specified time period, the seller cannot turn over the gun until they get an approval from the local chief law enforcement agent, IN WRITING. And they don't give a snit if you have a CHL, or not.

EVERY TIME you purchase a pistol. And, there is now a specified 10 day wait *(along with additional restrictions) in order to purchase a "semiautomatic assault rifle"...

Which, as defined by the current law, is EVERY SEMI AUTO RIFLE in the state!!! (not kidding, every single one, no matter what caliber, age, or features).
Old December 7, 2019, 11:09 AM   #186
Ricklin

.44 AMP

Hi,
I get a feeling we are residents of the same state. That state where when we get away from the major metro areas on the West side, is quite conservative.

We did our best in the last election, the hysteria mongers had more money, a lot more money.
Old December 8, 2019, 06:34 AM   #187
Brit

When I am in my home State, I carry always (be home on the 9th, tomorrow)
just about always, we are out of the house we are together, my wife and I of 26 years.
My decision to become involved would be based, on what is safer for my wife.
sneak out the back entrance, and on the cell phone 911?

Small children in danger? There goes another dimension, yes?

An attack against us two! Shots fired. Right sharpest. Nearly always. Instantly.

Last edited by Brit; December 8, 2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old December 9, 2019, 10:20 PM   #188
Brit

Arrived 15 mins ago, all fine. 43X next to my head! No more CA Orlando forever.
Old December 10, 2019, 03:09 PM   #189
OldMarksman
Staff

Eight pages, veering to different subjects, and just about exhausted.
Closed Thread