The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 6, 2018, 03:21 PM   #1
Kvon2

I FINALLY won something on Gunbroker

Well it was bound to happen some day. I regularly put bids on gun broker that I think are reasonable and have never won a thing.

Well the other day I was thinking about how much I want something in 17hmr and how badly I want a rolling block replica.

Of course, a seller on GB had the exact combo new in box. I just got.the email that I won! Pictures will follow assuming my fiancee doesn't kill me.

Anyone have any experience with these rifles? The pictures are Beautiful.
Old April 6, 2018, 07:03 PM   #2
lamarw

I am not familiar with the rifle you are referring to but congrats on the win and your new rifle.

I do have a nice .17 HMR and it is a fun rifle to shoot. There is an interesting story behind my win on GB for the rifle, but I will not hijack the thread. It involved winning two auction to end up with one rifle.
Old April 6, 2018, 07:24 PM   #3
TXAZ

Congratulations. I have a buddy with a .17HMR and loves it.

I once heard that the problem of winning on gunbroker.com "the vast majority of the time" is:

* You'll bid higher than those guys who want the new rifle for a ridiculously low price. This happens on most every auction with a low starting price.
* You'll 'go back and forth' with other knowledgeable bidders for a fair market bid price and you will sometimes win. This happens in most auctions with a lot of bidding, but if there are 50 knowledgable bidders, you chance of winning is real low.
* You don't stand a chance to win against the guy who has contracted auction fever and wants it at any cost.
While the last one doesn't happen that often, I am amazed that people will pay 10%+ over what a straight up purchase from a non-discounting online retailer (such as Cabelas) would cost.

Congrats again!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 7, 2018, 07:47 AM   #4
Kvon2

Here's a link to it:
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/761185350

Quote:
You don't stand a chance to win against the guy who has contracted auction fever and wants it at any cost.
this has been my experience too. To my surprise, I was the only bid in the rifle. I got it for $550 and I'll admit I don't know what they're really worth but I do see .22wmr versions going for over $600.

Either way, I got the rifle I wanted and I am pumped!
Old April 7, 2018, 01:46 PM   #5
TruthTellers

You can win something on gunbroker if it's not a common gun or are brands that people designate as "junk" because they're not a Ruger, Smith, Colt, Walther, etc or are chambered for obscure cartridges.

I was recently surprised by a Snider rifle in .577 that was in pristine condition. The bid the eventual winner was likely going to get it for was $650 or something and then I made some bids and stopped around $900. The point is that antique single shot black powder cartridge guns that are chambered for European cartridges like .577 can be got for a good price.
Old April 7, 2018, 10:36 PM   #6
ThomasT

Quote:
Pictures will follow assuming my fiancee doesn't kill me.
If she doesn't like you buying guns now just wait till you get married. It sounds like you better buy all you can while you are still able.
Old April 7, 2018, 11:16 PM   #7
MagnumWill

Yeah, my latest gunbroker purchase was an M1 Garand. Talk about patience and competing with knowledgeable bidders...
Old April 8, 2018, 07:24 AM   #8
Kvon2

Quote:
If she doesn't like you buying guns now just wait till you get married. It sounds like you better buy all you can while you are still able.
we've lived together for a while now, she knows what she's getting in to. I find myself saying "hey, at least its not drugs" to her pretty often .

I gave her dad the bug too, the future mother in law hasn't forgiven me yet.
Old April 8, 2018, 08:41 AM   #9
fourbore

You will dramatically improve your chances on gun broker if you can control your enthusiasm and bid as late as possible. Because if you bid early and bid a fair price then all some one else has to do I bid $5 more. Either you loose or you go back and get into some idiotic bidding war.
Old April 8, 2018, 12:04 PM   #10
RC20

The great thing about gun broker for a seller is that you reach a wide audience.

Whats funny is I see common rifles like Savage listed for $600, you can get at Cabellas on sale and a discount for less than $300.

Everything I have sold went to a knowing buyer. Some were one shot bids (buy now) , but they knew it was worth it.

Sometimes if you keep an eye out you can pick up a real winner. I sold a Luger for a decent price, but the guy was a collector and willing to take a chance. He was the only one that asked for the backup pictures I had available. He got something of a bargain but he can sell it as an established collector and I can't.

Some of the stuff does go wild. I saw a really nice Model of 1917 go for 3 grand. I would have called it $1500, no more than 1800. I have seen nice version go for under $1000.

Best advice I got was figure out what you are willing to pay and go no more. Yes you loose some but you also do not get bit.

The good part for both parties is if there was a bad listing, GB will get involved.

I had one that a guy pulled some garbage, all I had to do was mention contacting GB and he corrected it immediately.
Old April 8, 2018, 08:27 PM   #11
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
The good part for both parties is if there was a bad listing, GB will get involved.
lol. No they won't. If there's a dispute over the condition, gunbroker won't do jack about it.
Old April 8, 2018, 08:43 PM   #12
Ledslnger

I would like one of these in .17 WSM.