The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 13, 2012, 10:19 PM   #1
rifleman8

iron sight color

Hey everyone, I'm a proud new owner of a CZ-82. Haven't shot it yet but I already love it. One thing I noticed was that the sights could really benefit from some paint. What is a good, versatile color combo for the front and rear sights? I want to be able to find the front sight quickly, and do so in low light conditions.

I was thinking either white dots in the rear with a red front blade, or light green rear dots with a flourescent orange front sight. I know that regular model paint will work for this, but after looking around I am considering buying a kit from Brightsights.com that has glow in the dark paint.

Does anyone have any experience with this glow in the dark paint? I'm kind of skeptical about it, how well does it glow?

Any help would be great!
Old December 14, 2012, 02:22 AM   #2
DaleA

A search on phosphorescent on TFL will get you some info.

Nitesiters
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...phosphorescent

video showing someone using the paint

sales pitch thread

here's a general discussion of the glow in the dark paint
Old December 14, 2012, 11:44 AM   #3
EdInk

I like white in the front and the back to be either plain black or small white dots.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:49 PM   #4

I've got a dab of phosphorescent paint (looks like day-glo yellow when it's "lit") on the front sight (it is an aftermarget set) of my BUG, a KelTec P11.

It is a simple arrangement that works quite well and doesn't distract from obtaining a good sight picture. The rear sight is left "black".
Old December 14, 2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

There are any number of colors and color combinations you can use, but the idea is that the front sight should be a color that automatically draws the eye to it.
As example you wouldn't paint the front sight black and the rear bright yellow.

Among the colors that attract the eye are fluorescent Red, Yellow, Lime Green, and White, with Lime Green being the most visible color in daylight.
Old December 14, 2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Depends on your eyes and where you do most of your shooting. I'm shooting against woods in bright sun so a dab of Testor's paint in fl pink rose. Indoors I found Fl Chartreuse, the same paint I use on my fishing lures worked better. I'm working with cataracts, near sighted, astigmatism and old age so your mileage may differ. Try a color, next day try another till you find one that works under most conditions.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 15, 2012, 12:54 AM   #7
chris in va

I don't know what dovetail the 82's have, but putting on a hiViz fiber front sight on my P01 made a massive difference in shootability.