The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 10, 2010, 10:50 PM   #1
10-96

Uberti Cylinders

I just ordered the .45ACP cylinder for my Uberti 1875 Remington Outlaw from VT Gunparts. Has anyone ever ordered or fit a new cylinder to a Uberti that didn't come as part of the set package? Anybody ever run into any problems in this area?
Thanks

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 15, 2010, 10:05 PM   #2
grendelbane

Yes, I couldn't resist the .45 ACP cylinder that Midway put on sale for my Uberti SAA .45 Colt clone.

It did require some fitting, but not much. There always seems to be more .45 ACP around here than its bigger brother. Easier to scrounge brass also.

I actually prefer to shoot it with the ACP cylinder. 200 grain semi-wadcutters shoot exactly to point of aim at 25 yards. Thus it uses less powder and less lead, and brass life seems eternal.

If I had to shoot some thing that required a bigger hammer I would use the .45 Colt cylinder. But, if that were the case, I would probably go for some thing a bit more modern anyway.

Gov't model magazines make convenient spare ammunition holders, as do Mauser rifle clips.
Old May 17, 2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Clark

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=347925

For $104, I can keep handloading the 45 Colt brass.

For $50, I would do it.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:42 AM   #4
10-96

It's my unnerstanding that 1873's and 1875's is too different in their critterology to swap those parts.

Old July 11, 2010, 08:05 AM   #5
10-96

Well, I got my cylinder in from VT. Now I can say I have an 1875 with both cylinders. Woo-Hoo for me I guess... I was expecting to be able to shoot with .45AR loads, but that weren't meant to be. The distance between the cylinder face and the shroud is too short, or the distance between the shoulder and the cylinder face is too long. Of course I shoulda known that the .45ACP would headspace on the rim and that they would not have left space consideration for a moon clip in a SA (duh). Anyway, the AR ctg's rims are too thick to allow for rotation.

I only tried Winchester WB ACP loads in the ACP cylinder and the results left much to be desired- 6" + at 10yds! Now the .45Colt cylinder and reloads were amazing! The 1875 handled well, shot to point of aim between 10 and 18yds, all cases ejected well with no stickies or need to exert a lot of pressure on the ejector rod, and the trigger stayed wonderfully light and consistant. I have no idea why I didn't get one of these things years ago!