The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 28, 1999, 11:07 AM   #1
Little-e

Back in my uneducated days I made a mistake that I'm still not sure how to correct. I have a stainless Govt. Model that I put a laser on and the mount was glued to the frame. Discovering I didn't like lasers much, I took everything off execpt for the glue, which I couldn't get off and years later is still on there. Is there any way to get it off other than refinishing the frame?
Old May 28, 1999, 03:50 PM   #2
Ken Cook

Do you remember what kind of glue you used?
Try using MEK (methyl Ethyl Ketone) to remove it
Detail disassemble the pistol and make sure not to get this stuff ANYWHERE near your grips, if they are lacquerred at all, MEK will knock it off the grips in seconds.
Also, MEK will strip ALL lubrication from anything it touches, so be sure to immediately oil all the surfaces that the MEK contacts.
If this doesn't work, try dipping the stripped frame in boiling water for a few seconds. Heat will often break the bond of the glue and it will not damage your finish or the heat treat of the frame.
Hope this helps!

------------------
Your mind is your primary weapon.
USE IT!
Old May 29, 1999, 08:57 AM   #3
longhair

if MEK doesn't loosen it up, it must be some bad glue.you'll need to soak a rag pretty good w/ it as it evaporates really quick, also, highly flammable, so be careful. like Ken said, keep it away from anything plastic, it'll melt it down. and if you happen to get any in your eye(not fun), just try and hold your eye open for a few seconds and it'll evaporate and quit burnin'. good luck!

------------------
fiat justitia