The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 16, 2010, 08:25 AM   #26
MTT TL

I do. The commercial ones that you get at the drug store or wherever tend to have lower quality products in them.

Whenever we get back from a deployment we dump out all the old medical kits. Then they are turned them into trainers or tossed. By going through the junk I have found many supplies that were still intact with their packages unbreached. Through this I have collected several trauma kits. Each contains: modern tourniquet, several compression bandages, airway, Quick Clot, gauze, tape, band aids, triple antibiotic cream, burn bandage. Placed in the vehicles, bathrooms and kitchen one is always nearby.
Old January 16, 2010, 09:07 AM   #27
FredD

Excellent thread,
I have a kit in each vehicle and one I carry in my pack while hiking. This got me to thinking though that I should check each one out, I havent really used them or inventoried them in some time.

I believe I'll also look for a good one for the house.

FredD
Old January 16, 2010, 09:17 AM   #28
m&p45acp10+1

Being a paramedic I have several of them. In the truck I have a jump kit, and a foding SRD with head blocks, spiderstraps, and 3 adjustable, disposable C collars. (I have had some real bad car wrecks happen right in fromt of me before, it has come in handy when those happened.) . At home I have 2 for me. One for my dog. I have quick clot in mine, for Ranger's kit (my dog) I keep a bag of flower for helping to clot any cuts he could possibly get in the field. He has once had a pretty bad one that I had to stich up when he hung up in a busted fence herding cows.
I keep in my personal woods kit. 10 4inx4in gauze pads,2 rolls of 3 inch wide gauze, 1 roll of waterproof tape, 2 oclusive dressings, 1 roll of medic's shears, 1 pair of McGill forceps, 1 pair of hemostats(#3), a box of bandaids, one pocket mask with one way valve for cpr, 1 disposable scalpel, 1 suture kit, 4 sealed packets of pain releaver(2 of tylenol, 2 of advil), 2 triangular bandages, 1 form-a-splint. There are a few other odds and ends but that is the real nitty gritty stuff. Total weight of the kit is is a whopping 3 pounds on the money.
Old January 16, 2010, 09:37 AM   #29
Dannyl

Where you can get stuff for free...

Hi,
to all of you who live close to a port, you acn go to companies that service life-rafts. all life-rafts have a comprehensive medical kit and every two years they replace them and THROW AWAY the old kits. All you hve to do is ask nicely. there are some tablets that you should dispose off, but other than that there is a lot of useful stuff, and it's free.

That is where I get most of my stuff, including a very comprehensive kit that we put for the range of my shooting club.

Brgds,

Danny
Old January 25, 2010, 03:45 AM   #30
Ian0351

One in the rig and one in my hiking pack. Anywhere I carry a loaded firearm carrying a combat first aid kit makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
Two things in my kit: A box of whiskey for snake bite and a box of snakes!!
Awesome.

Semper Fidelis
Old January 25, 2010, 04:20 AM   #31
jborushko

yep one in every car i have and in every backpack i own! course on my gear when outside the wire!
Old January 25, 2010, 04:47 AM   #32
rogelk

I have a decent one in my range bag. Never know...gun malfunction etc.
Old January 25, 2010, 05:03 AM   #33
BillCA

My old web gear has a 30-round mag pouch that doubles as a first-aid kit. That thing has a triangular bandage, two compress pad bandages, gauze 3x3's, gauze roll, tape, anitbiotic ointment, tweezers, a triangular razor blade and a wire saw (for splint making).

The big car-kit is an M-3 Medic's bag with a lot of additional supplies including Kelley forceps, scalpels and suture needles.

Now... with this said pointed out... in the aftermath of a shooting situation, it is unlikely that I will use the kit to treat the person(s) who just threatened my life. This is especially true if I need the kit to treat myself, loved ones or those who were with me.

Circumstances may also dictate that I'm too busy trying to keep my head, preserve the scene & evidence, etc. to render aid. Which means I may let someone else use the kit to render 1st aid if practical.
Old January 25, 2010, 04:39 PM   #34
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

1 each in car, shop and house.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 25, 2010, 04:46 PM   #35
zombie237

One of the most complete kits i've seen thus far is the Marine 3000. Having used an aid bag or two militarily, i did some research into first aid bags (well, ok, it's a little more than first aid but i've been doing this a little while) and the Marine 3000 is pretty well stocked. yes it is rather expensive, but i personally think it's very well stocked organized and easy to use.

just my $0.02.
Old January 25, 2010, 08:44 PM   #36
crisco

I keep one in the truck, right out in the open in a BRIGHT red bag with a nice white "X" on it. Anyone who looks in could see it easily.

I have never needed it. Long as I carry it I won't.....