The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2007, 03:14 PM   #1
tacoma1

Newbie question on reloading new brass

I just bought a new 100 pack of Winchester unprimed brass in .223 to reload for my ar-15. I have only reloaded brass that has been already used so I always resized the brass on my press when reloading it but do I have to resize the new Winchester brass since it has never been used before? I know this is probably a stupid question but better safe than sorry.
Old October 11, 2007, 03:23 PM   #2
rwilson452

A good question. remember the only dumb question is the one your didn't ask. I full length resize all new brass. Then check for length. new brass can be handled rather roughly before you get it so the case mouth might be out of round. Some don't, I do.
Old October 11, 2007, 04:08 PM   #3
steve4102

I size all new brass. I also chamfer and de-burr the necks.
Old October 12, 2007, 07:33 PM   #4
rrp

new brass

I always full length size and check the length of new brass. I have never used the expensive top of the line brass, but with the brands I have used ,I have always found the lengths to be inconsistant.
Old October 13, 2007, 04:01 PM   #5
FM12

Yeah, go ahead and size and check for 1. proper length and 2. good clean flash hole. Also good time to trim to a consistant length, chamfer the case mouth and ream the flash hole from the inside. This makes for really good brass. You can't shoot any better than your loads are. Your loads can't be any better than your brass.