The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 19, 2019, 02:40 AM   #1
NHSHOOTER

Model 70

I am going to check out a model 70 in 243 at a LGS. I dont know any particulars until I get there, my 1 concern is, does it have a adjustable trigger? I have never owned a winchester, are they generally MOA accurate?
Old May 19, 2019, 06:39 AM   #2
10-96

Could you make out what generation the rifle is? That might draw some more responses. My Model 70 is from around 1978 or so, and it had a horrible trigger that got replaced with a Rifle-Basix trigger. And I hate to stick my neck out there, but I don't believe I've ever heard of adjustable triggers on 70's, but then, I don't know much atall about these new ones.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 19, 2019, 07:13 AM   #3
NHSHOOTER

I only know its a model 70, havent even seen it yet, the LGS posts its used guns on its website. Only saying model and condition..I am looking at the winchester 70 or a Tikka hunter..both in 243..
Old May 19, 2019, 07:21 AM   #4
mikejonestkd

As 10-96 mentioned- the generation is important. Quality and workmanship range from average, to poor, to excellent - all depending on who made it and when.

For example - A newer model 70 made by FN is regarded as very good to excellent, some of the last ditch new Haven guns were poor.
Newer ones have an adj trigger- its called the MOA trigger.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/suppor...er-system.html
Old May 19, 2019, 07:25 AM   #5
NHSHOOTER

I am going to check them out tomorrow, will keep you all informed..thanks for the heads up..
Old May 19, 2019, 08:19 AM   #6
Picher

I'm a fan of the Tikka and have a couple, one being a Tikka Lite in .243 Win. It's very accurate and easy to carry. The magazine feeds very well. It's taken several deer and a few coyotes, including a nice buck for me.

When I'm scouting or hauling my portable blind a mile or so, I take the Tikka. Once, while setting up the blind in our permanent ground blind, I saw the buck in the woods road, about 200 yards away. I grabbed the rifle while hiding behind the blind, stood up slowly, and bracing my left pinkie on top of the blind, nailed it in the boiler room. It served me well.

Not a fan of the older "controlled round feed" of the older Winchester 70s, but they were excellent rifles and they shot really well "out of the box". I don't have any experience with the foreign-made 70's of today.
Old May 19, 2019, 08:23 AM   #7
jmr40

Winchester has been all over the place. The new FN built rifles made in South Carolina or Portugal have adjustable triggers and as a rule are as accurate as anything made. But that applies only to rifles made 2008-present.

The Winchester "Classics" which were the CRF rifles reintroduced in 1992-2006 can be very well made rifles. The ones made prior to 2000 are especially good. They will be made in New Haven and have 6 digit or less serial numbers. The ones with 7 digit serial numbers are when quality started to slide. Most made in the early 2000's are pretty good, but the closer you get to a 2006 manufacture date the greater the odds of a lemon.

I wouldn't risk the push feed rifles made in the 1960s or 1970's. Quality is spotty. Some are good, some are not.

Winchester was actually purchased by a group of investors in 1979. The 1980's and 1990's pushfeed rifles are generally pretty good. The "Classics" were brought back in 1992 and was Winchester top end rifle until they closed in 2006. But they continued to make their budget rifles on the pushfeed action until 2006. Just like the Classics, the ones made prior to 2000 are well made guns.

As a rule any of the pushfeed Winchesters made from 1980-1999 are pretty good rifles and are often sold at bargain prices.

Winston Churchill
Old May 19, 2019, 08:32 AM   #8
std7mag

While i do admire a Model 70, i've only had the opportunity to shoot one, once.
I have yet to own one. The "right rifle at the right price" and i have as yet to cross paths.

Now the Tikka....
Again, right rifle, right price. Hence i don't own one yet.
But after handling many, and being able to shoot a few. Is at the top of my short list to get.

Perhaps after i'm done paying on the Forbes, and get my new Mauser built.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old May 19, 2019, 10:06 AM   #9
Don Fischer

I've got a featherweight I got new about 2006. Adjustable trigger on it. Only Winchester bolt gun I ever owned. Shoot's very well but wouldn't call it a tack driver!
Old May 19, 2019, 10:16 AM   #10
LineStretcher

The newer rifles may have an adjustable trigger but try to remember that the Model 70 is a hunting rifle and the triggers are heavier than a match grade rifle. Keep it in perspective and you'll be fine. The .243 is a great little cartridge and a lot of fun too shoot.

Personally, I would probably lean towards the Tikka or maybe look for a Weatherby Vanguard. Both those rifles are in about the same class and shoot very well. I have a Tikka T3x lite Stainless in 22-250 and it shoots very well. I had a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 30-06 and it shot well but wasn't comfortable to shoot. I had a Vanguard in .243 that I setup for my neighbors wife and she loves it. The alternative would be to step over all three and look for a Browning X-Bolt. They seem to get more attention from Browning then the Winchesters. I had one in 300WSM and it was a tack driver with a very nice trigger.
Old May 19, 2019, 05:03 PM   #11
NHSHOOTER

The LGS I am going to tomorrow has a vanguard but with a synthetic stock, a Tikka with a wood stock (never fired) and the Model 70, I own a Tikka in 223 that is a tack driver, and a Vanguard in 243, 7-08 and 22-250 That are all tack drivers but this rifle is for my daughter and the vanguards are a tad heavier than the Tikka. In my mind right now I am thinking Tikka, adjustable trigger, walnut stock and light enough for her..I will post tomorrow eve after the sale. Again I really appreciate all the feedback!!!
Old May 19, 2019, 05:05 PM   #12
Pathfinder45

The original trigger system on the model 70 is adjustable Why the change to the newer M.O.A. trigger is something of a puzzle to me, as I really like the earlier version. That, "horrible trigger", that 10-96 mentioned, may have been defective, but without knowing more, I am inclined to believe that it merely needed a good adjustment. I had one from 1973 when I bought it new. It was a good rifle. I did adjust the trigger to get it down to a crisp 2 pound pull. Accuracy was OK, but not great, until my brother floated the barrel and bedded the receiver, and then, "Wow; this thing really shoots!". Wish I still had it.

My current model 70 is an even better rifle, a Classic Sporter that I got 2nd hand in a trade at a gunshow. I have owned it since 1998 and am not sure how old it actually is. I believe it is the best rifle I will ever own.
here is a good article on the model 70 Classic: https://westernrifleman.wordpress.co...el-70-classic/
Old May 19, 2019, 06:32 PM   #13
Paul B.

I'll take any Model 70 over a Remington 700. One of my favorites is the push feed Featherweight that is extremely accurate.
Paul B.
Old May 19, 2019, 06:45 PM   #14
Pathfinder45

Quote:
I'll take any Model 70 over a Remington 700.
Yes, I concur. As long as it has a Walnut stock, which is mandatory for me.

Last edited by Pathfinder45; May 19, 2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: last sentence added
Old May 20, 2019, 06:30 AM   #15
Picher

Model 70 Trigger Adjustment

The new Winchester 70 trigger adjustments allow adjusting weight and over-travel, but not pre-travel. Surely, that's to prevent most lawsuits, but pre-travel adjustment is part of adjusting for great trigger pull. It's not as important as overtravel or weight, but most people don't want a long, and especially gritty pre-travel. Smooth is where it's at!
Old May 20, 2019, 05:46 PM   #16
BBarn

I'm pretty sure the Model 70 trigger was essentially unchanged for at least 50 years of production, probably through all the New Haven production, and perhaps even until the MOA trigger was introduced.

That long in production original trigger design was a very simple with adjustments for weight and overtravel (but not travel/sear engagement). Not a match grade trigger, but a good trigger entirely suitable for a hunting rifle.

My 1991 production push feed medium weight varmint has that simple trigger and as adjusted it's both reasonably light and crisp.
Old May 20, 2019, 09:42 PM   #17
NHSHOOTER

Went to the LGS to check out the Tikka and the model 70, The Tikka is here at my house. I own a Tikka already in 223 and have shot several hundred rounds thru it without a problem and it is a Tack driver..Lets hope the 243 does the same, which I have no doubt it will..
Old May 21, 2019, 01:01 AM   #18
Scorch

ALL Model 70s ever made have adjustable triggers. All of them. If it's an older one and you don't know how to adjust the trigger, see a gunsmith.
Old May 21, 2019, 07:05 AM   #19
Picher

The older model 70s was adjustable, but not with a screwdriver. It had some nuts on a bolt that was somewhat difficult to adjust and I never had to, but understood how to do it, having read about it.
Old May 21, 2019, 09:23 AM   #20
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picher View Post
The older model 70s was adjustable, but not with a screwdriver. It had some nuts on a bolt that was somewhat difficult to adjust and I never had to, but understood how to do it, having read about it.
Yes...I remember two small hex-nuts. One jammed against the other to prevent moving after adjusting. As I remember, it only adjusted the amount of engagement.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:22 AM   #21
Pathfinder45

I found it completely adjustable. Yeah, it's not as convenient as simply turning a screw, but how can you expect to adjust the pull weight, and over-travel, with just one simple screw? Back in the day we would carefully read instructions and be able to do this. Now, you've got Youtube, and it's getting harder to find a late-model pick-up truck without an automatic transmission.
Old May 21, 2019, 02:09 PM   #22
T. O'Heir

"...does it have a adjustable trigger?..." It should, but it doesn't really matter as there are all kinds of aftermarket triggers for M70's.
"...not as convenient as simply turning a screw..." It's a nut and easy to do but still not exactly convenient. Lotta trial and error fiddling involved.
Like Scorch says, "if you don't know how to adjust the trigger, see a gunsmith."
Old May 21, 2019, 04:15 PM   #23
Scorch

Quote:
As I remember, it only adjusted the amount of engagement.
No, the screw and jam nuts adjust weight of pull and overtravel. Engagement was never adjustable.
Quote:
Yeah, it's not as convenient as simply turning a screw, but how can you expect to adjust the pull weight, and over-travel, with just one simple screw?
The original Winchester Model 70 trigger was recognized as one of the best hunting rifle triggers on the market. You could adjust weight of pull and overtravel. If you know how, you can adjust engagement as well, but it is a bit more permanent, so don't try if you don't know how.