The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 04:28 PM   #76
tipoc

Not so...

"Everything else" was the critical part. That the fella did not know how to use a Glock in a panic friendly atmosphere is just a part of a picture of lack of foresight and elementary awareness. That the piece was left in condition 3 is inside a backpack 5-10 yards away ain't exactly "minutia".

Your up to your elbows in blood and guts, in the bears kitchen, with no gun on you, extra bear spray in another back pack, and the gun in a separate backpack. The problem wasn't what condition the gun was in.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old May 6, 2019, 04:58 PM   #77
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoc View Post
That the piece was left in condition 3 is inside a backpack 5-10 yards away ain't exactly "minutia".
Quote:
The problem wasn't what condition the gun was in.

tipoc
Ah, those are contradictory statements.

However that aside, you obviously are bent on believing what you want to believe, and I don't have a dog in this anyway, so have at it.
Old May 6, 2019, 04:58 PM   #78
Double Naught Spy

But even not knowing anything more than he knew, had the gun NOT been in condition 3, it would have fired when he pulled the trigger to shoot the bear. So that was a very real problem that occurred at the time.

He pulled the trigger and it did not go BANG. It did not go BANG because it was in condition 3.
Old May 6, 2019, 08:57 PM   #79
tipoc

As I said and the facts show, it did not matter what condition the gun was in. By the time they needed it, and the bowhunter got to it, a man was the walking dead. That was not due to the condition of the gun but to their lack of preparation for what they were doing and the dangers involved.

They made a decision not the have the gun ready at hand and with a round in the chamber, ready to shoot. But instead to leave it in a backpack 5-10 yards away. They made a decision that the only gun they had only one man was familiar with and not the man who grabbed it. That was a part of their errors.

A string of errors led to the death of a man. The condition of the gun was only a part of that, and a small part.

The official reports on the guides death mentioned some of this and other aspects of the tragedy.

That some don't get that...means something.

tipoc
Old May 6, 2019, 09:09 PM   #80
TunnelRat

Quote:
As I said and the facts show, it did not matter what condition the gun was in.

A string of errors led to the death of a man. The condition of the gun was only a part of that, and a small part.
So then it did matter. If it was a part of it then it did matter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 7, 2019, 10:43 AM   #81
tipoc

Ya got me, though I said it earlier that it was a part of it. But folks are splitting hairs. It did make a difference but not the main difference. It was down the line of a string of errors.

It made a bigger a difference that they had only one gun between them and it was a handgun, not a long gun, and it was kept in the backpack and the guide did not show the bowhunter how to use it.

It made more of a difference that they rang the dinner bell for the bears and did not prepare for them showing up.

To focus on condition 3 as the main reason for the death you have to ignore everything else which was actually more important. Folks don't see that I can't help.

tipoc
Old May 7, 2019, 11:45 AM   #82
Glenn E. Meyer

Enough with bear, please.

Anything new to be said?
Old May 8, 2019, 03:49 AM   #83
kozak6

Honestly, no. These sorts of threads don't usually make it past 3-4 pages, which is exactly where we are.

The "two empty chambers in a revolver" was new to me. I've never seen that before.
Old May 8, 2019, 07:23 AM   #84
agtman

Quote:
Honestly, no. These sorts of threads don't usually make it past 3-4 pages, which is exactly where we are.
Yes, hence the anagramic phrase, 'IBTL.'

Quote:
The "two empty chambers in a revolver" was new to me. I've never seen that before.
That's because no advocates for that carry-method who actually got into a gunfight survived.

They've long since been buried; however, rest assured that if they were so blessed as to get a 're-do' (ala 'Ground Hog Day'), they'd be carrying their wheelgun with ALL cylinders loaded.
Old May 8, 2019, 04:48 PM   #85
DaleA

Quote:
Yeah. Me neither.

At that point why not just Barney Fife it and carry your one round in your left front shirt pocket. Maybe we could call that the "Mayberry Carry" and discuss it at length.

(I'm guessing this post will be enough to get this thread closed.)
Old May 8, 2019, 04:50 PM   #86
Glenn E. Meyer

A winner !

Mayberry Carry.

Definition - law enforcement thinks you are too much of a klutz to have a loaded gun and more than one round.

A great place to close!!