The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 13, 2009, 02:35 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Having traveled a bit in my youth....

I have found the polite way to pronounce names is the way the people living there, or the person pronounces it.

Sock-o is a rifle
Say-ko is a watch

Worchester MA is "Wuster" MA
Old December 13, 2009, 05:39 PM   #27
CraigC

Quote:
I've known the correct pronunciation is "sock-o" for years, but I've never been able to break the habit of pronouncing it "say-ko".
Me too!
Old December 13, 2009, 05:45 PM   #28
sammyh312

yep, it's "Sock-o", and by the way it's "Loo-poled" scopes not "Leah-poled", and it's "Heckler & Coke" not "Heckler & Kotch"
Old December 13, 2009, 05:50 PM   #29
Relentless Pursuit

A phonetic Crash Course and the pun is intended.

Link...........
Old December 14, 2009, 08:48 PM   #30
ARDogman

Listen to the manufacturer.

Audi...OW-DEE
Leupold...Looo-pold
Sako...Socko
Old December 15, 2009, 06:26 AM   #31
Picher

Well now, we Mainers don't like to be told how to say anything. So, if you come to Maine, you may want to go to "Soco" to look at "Say-Koos", or "Oddies" at "Kaliss", and glance at a "Leeopold" at L.L. Bean.

However you'd be celebrated if you went to Saco to buy an Audi, or picked up a Leupold at Kittery Trading post.

Most of us really don't care how you say anything, just as long as you buy it here. Keep Maine Green...Spend money! :-)
Old December 17, 2009, 01:57 PM   #32
Major Dave (retired)

Having listened to Tom Gresham interviews

on his "Gun Talk" radio show, his interviews with the rifle makers and scope makers representatives....

Socko, the rifles

Lou poe (silent "d" at the end, rhymes with "toe"), the scopes
Old December 17, 2009, 02:01 PM   #33
skidooman603

+1 on Sammy312. Thats how the Sock-O rep pronounces it. Would Guess he knows. Now how about Garand...Oh crap let's not open that bag of worms
Old December 17, 2009, 05:32 PM   #34
PetahW

[How do you pronounce "Sako"?

"Bahnk Lown"

Old December 17, 2009, 05:50 PM   #35
Chipperman

Quote:
Worchester MA is "Wuster" MA
There's no "H" in Worcester. I went to High School there. Don't miss it. :barf:

Quote:
Here's something ... why is Houston (TX) pronounced Hyooston? Here in Georgia, Houston County is pronounced House-ton.
Or Houston St in Manhattan (also pronounced "house-ton").
Old December 17, 2009, 05:58 PM   #36
Skyyr

Quote:
Here's something ... why is Houston (TX) pronounced Hyooston? Here in Georgia, Houston County is pronounced House-ton.
Because when you're talking about a state that takes pride in the fact it beat an entire country on its on (not to mention everyone and their dog there own a gun), you pronounce it the way they want you to.
Old April 25, 2019, 12:04 AM   #37
Ralphoz

This will answer the question accurately

https://youtu.be/3Fi6vXaNWEA
Old April 25, 2019, 12:28 AM   #38
math teacher

We can get in a big argument about how to pronounce Garand. I have yet to hear anyone pronounce Swarovski correctly. I believe it is pronounced Svar-off-ski by the folks who make it. And how in the heck do you pronounce Coues deer?
Old April 25, 2019, 01:32 AM   #39
ms6852

I hate to say this but I truly wouldn't care how it was pronounced , prenounced, or pernounced as long as I owned one.
Old April 25, 2019, 01:33 AM   #40
JohnKSa
Staff

I know it's 'socko' but I say 'sayko' because no one will know what I'm talking about otherwise. Same reason I say 'gah-rand' even though I know it's really 'gehrund', 'vokeswagin' when I know it's really 'fokesvahgon', 'mikyoulik' when I know it's really 'mishulak' and 'wahl-ther' when I really know it's 'vaulter'.

I'm not even going to start on the awful things Texans do to the foreign names of many of the cities in this fine state or lament my conformity which is done in the name of effective communication...

Ok--just a nod to the 'doomuss' Demons, the highschool football team in Dumas, TX. Better get that one right even if you can't get any of the others...
Old April 25, 2019, 06:55 AM   #41
darkgael

I lived at 337 Houston Ave in Williston Park, NY when I was a boy. It was pronounced
"yous-ton".
I have lived in NYC for the last 40 years. Worked in an office in Soho.....South of Houston Street.....promounced "house-ton".
Old April 25, 2019, 08:43 AM   #42
Longhorn1986

And I grew up on the west side of Houston (Hew-sten), Texas. If my folks drove NE of town, we'd end up in the town of Humble (Um-bul).

JohnKSa, you mean you don't care for how we pronounce Mexia, Refugio, Bexar, Burnet, Manchaca, the Pedernales River or Kuykendahl Rd?
Old April 25, 2019, 09:58 AM   #43
LineStretcher

If Sako is challenging to pronounce correctly try Lapua.
Old April 25, 2019, 10:31 AM   #44
jmr40

Isn't Lapua supposed to be pronounced Lap-wa.

Nothing unusual about different pronunciations, it depends on where you live. Here in Ga we speak 2 distinctly different languages depending on whether you live north, or south of Macon.

Winston Churchill
Old April 25, 2019, 10:36 AM   #45
LineStretcher

If you go to Lapua's website you can listen to a Fin say it in one of their Video's. I can't spell it phonetically in English because it still comes out sounding like Spanish. It is fun to say it correctly when in a store and asking for their products. Clerks have no idea what you're talking about. LOL..
Old April 25, 2019, 11:59 AM   #46
T. O'Heir

OP is old enough to vote.
"...I say 'sayko'..." That'd be The Queen's English. Vowels separated by a consonant are pronounced long. As in 'say' vs 'saw'.
Grew up in Etobicoke. West end of Toronto. That'd be E toe be co. And Tor on to. Saying Etobecokee is not permitted. Saying Ta raw na is only permitted if you grew up there.
Old April 25, 2019, 12:46 PM   #47
44 AMP
Staff

Didn't we settle this almost 10 years ago???

Quote:
...I say 'sayko'..." That'd be The Queen's English.
And so would I, IF it were an English word. It's not.

Quote:
Vowels separated by a consonant are pronounced long. As in 'say' vs 'saw'.
This confuses me. First, lets agree on long and short. For "a" the long sound is "aaayyy" and the short is "aahhh" agreed??

If vowels separated by consonants are long, then why isn't it Sayvayge instead of Savage?? Why isn't it "Reemyngtoon, not Remington?? or Weencheesteer?

The rule given doesn't make sense to me, with all the examples I can think of, but being English, there are tons and tons of exceptions to the rules.

You can pronounce anything any way you want to. The correct way to pronounce a word is the way the originator(s) pronounce it. Meaning, the way the family pronounces their name, the way the people who live there pronounce the name of their place, and if a foreign word, the way it is pronounced in its native language.

Say-ko (Seiko) is a watch.
Sock-o (Sako) is a firearm.

Say it any way you want, don't change on account of what is correct, heavens no, don't do that...

All that changes is if you sound like you know what you are talking about...or not!
Old April 25, 2019, 01:50 PM   #48
an Old Shooter

My friend from Finland says the factory people say Socko.

That is easier than Berlin, Md., with accent on the first syllable, which is Burlin from Burley Inn.
Old April 25, 2019, 01:59 PM   #49
RC20

Some years back we had a Spanish historian that came to Alaska and told us we were pronouncing Valdez all wrong.

Spanish = Val des

Alaskan= Val deeeze

There actually was a move called Valdez is Coming (Spanish pronunciation ) so I knew what was right per Spanish.

However, the geography hounds have determined that local trumps tech correct every which way to Sunday. Too bad for the Spanish guy, but its Valdeeze.

So, go with local and I am amongt them (Say ko) as I don't speak Finish.

And go with the local if you are in Northern Europe and more so Finland and the locals are right there to! Otherwise they will look at you odd.
Old April 25, 2019, 08:15 PM   #50
ms6852

What is worse is that every one can pronounce Fahrvergnügen correctly but murder the bullet brand of "Aguila" which translate to eagle.