The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 19, 2019, 05:04 AM   #26
silvermane_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
This is basically their Patriot model revolver, but in 7 shot for 32 H&R in a 3" barrel instead of the 327 6 shot in a 2 1/2" barrel. This small framed revolver (in the Patriot series) can't take the full 327's in steady use, so they had to chamber their new one for something milder. They also couldn't call it a Patriot, because that model name was in 327.
I have a Patriot and it's a handful in 327. I can see that firing full factory 327's would have a toll on it. I practice with Longs & 32 H&R's (I reload both) and I'm fine with a nice stout factory 32 H&R+P for carry.
It's a little larger than a J-frame and smaller the a K. Perfect size.
One less round, but if I do decide to carry with 327's, a few rounds out of it won't harm it. Just not for regular range use.
I really like mine and Charter stepped up quality.
Found a really nice old Bianchi holster for it.
Here's a pic of it.
ViperR, what kind of ballistic #s are getting from your 32 H&R Mag +P?
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old May 23, 2019, 08:44 AM   #27
ViperR

Well, I reload a 100 gr hard cast poly coated using FMJ data max listed. I don't have a chronograph, so I don't know velocity. The chart does show 1,000 fps, though. And both my 327's handle it great.
Old June 15, 2019, 04:23 PM   #28
Nathan

I can see myself buying this revolver. What is not to like? 3” barrel; small frame; 32 H&R mag; seems like a real nice carry revolver.

Hopefully the triggers are better!
Old June 15, 2019, 05:16 PM   #29
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I can see myself buying this revolver. What is not to like? 3” barrel; small frame; 32 H&R mag; seems like a real nice carry revolver.

Hopefully the triggers are better!
To most, the only thing not to like is it's not a .38 or .357.

I'm with you tho, I can see myself buying one and I do hope the triggers are improved vs standard Charter revolvers. They're gonna have to be as the LCR triggers are so good they've taken a huge chunk of the market away from the J frame S&W.
Old June 15, 2019, 09:46 PM   #30
Cosmodragoon

That's a pretty picture. If it was a .327 Federal, I'd buy it on the spot. I'm down to one revolver in .32 H&R magnum and I honestly never use it. It's become a fancy paperweight.

Don't get me wrong. I like .32 H&R magnum. Part of me wishes that there was an LCR chambered for it on the lighter .38 special frame. I just don't have much use for it in a larger or heavier gun. If I want to shoot something lighter, I will sometimes break out the old target revolver in .32 S&W Long. Otherwise, I just use .327 Federal in any of the different guns I have chambered for it.

For my next revolver purchase, I'm waiting to see if Ruger releases a 3" LCRX in .327 Federal. They've got the .357 version out now so I'm hoping it won't be too long.
Old June 15, 2019, 11:03 PM   #31
HighValleyRanch

I was over at my LGS (70 miles away over the mountain!LOL) and they STILL HAD the Smith 331 6 shot scandium 12 ounce J frame in .32 H&R in the consignment case after two months. I heard that they were very rare and going for 1300.00 on Gunbroker. The shop wants 650.00 for it.

But as in post 29, I'm not interested it because it's only a .32. If I'm carrying a revolver I want it for the woods too, so even .327 is not enough.
Old June 18, 2019, 09:06 PM   #32
Grizzly2

I can't image the da trigger being any better than any other CA Bulldog revolver. If they had re designed it, we'd all have heard about it in their first advertisement.

Does a small pistol primer take less force to ignite than a large pistol primer? I don't know, but I doubt it. I'd think the springs will be the same, but would love to be surprised. If they could lighten it, the women would love it. So would I.

What would be a welcome addition would be if that front sight were drift adjustable. So many are off a little this way or that.
Old July 2, 2019, 08:45 PM   #33
JERRYS.

well, its been several months.... where has all the hype gone? one on-line video, a few articles a few months old.....
Old July 3, 2019, 12:53 AM   #34
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
well, its been several months.... where has all the hype gone? one on-line video, a few articles a few months old.....
There not in stock anywhere online, so can't buy them unless you know an FFL real well who has got one.

I see Charter has a $25 rebate on any new revolver until the end of August, so that's 8 weeks from now. Color me shocked if the Professionals wind up in stock everywhere on September 1st.
Old July 3, 2019, 05:44 AM   #35
Carmady

Quote:
Does a small pistol primer take less force to ignite than a large pistol primer? I don't know, but I doubt it. I'd think the springs will be the same...
I don't know either, but I do know that as of a year or two ago CA had three color coded springs for their revolvers. Here's a general outline.

blue: lightest; for center fire guns on the Undercover frame
green: medium; for the rim fire guns
red: heaviest; for center fire guns on the Bulldog frame

I had a pre-owned Undercover that had a red spring, and called CS and asked about the springs. The lady said it should have a blue spring and sent me one. Another time I was getting light strikes in da with a very early .22 and she sent me a green spring.

The green and/or blue springs might work on the Bulldog sized guns, maybe just part-time.
Old July 4, 2019, 07:07 PM   #36
Super Sneaky Steve

I emailed CA about when this gun would be available and they haven't gotten back to me yet. Usually they are good about that. Very odd.
Old July 4, 2019, 09:52 PM   #37
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I emailed CA about when this gun would be available and they haven't gotten back to me yet. Usually they are good about that. Very odd.
When did you send the email? Most manufacturing companies shut down the first week of July.
Old July 5, 2019, 02:26 PM   #38
Super Sneaky Steve

I just tried calling. Looks like they have been shut down for a while and won't reopen until the 8th.
Old July 11, 2019, 06:45 PM   #39
Super Sneaky Steve

The reply directly from CA.

Quote:
Good Morning Steven,
It is in production as we speak. Have your dealers contact one of the distributors he uses and put an order in for you.
Have a Great Week,
Donna
Who wants to be the first to buy one and review it? I'd be curious to see what the barrel size and throats measure out to be.
Old July 12, 2019, 10:02 PM   #40
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
The reply directly from CA.

Who wants to be the first to buy one and review it? I'd be curious to see what the barrel size and throats measure out to be.
Me, but I want to see what the size of these are in comparison to an SP101 is first. If it's roughly the same size, but has that 7th shot and doesn't have hallway sized throats, I'm more than down.

If these are the size of the .44/.45 Bulldogs, eh... that makes me lose a lot of interest. I have an objection to drastically increasing a revolver's size & weight for a mere extra round in the cylinder.
Old July 13, 2019, 06:55 PM   #41
Buckeye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
This is basically their Patriot model revolver, but in 7 shot for 32 H&R in a 3" barrel instead of the 327 6 shot in a 2 1/2" barrel. This small framed revolver (in the Patriot series) can't take the full 327's in steady use, so they had to chamber their new one for something milder. They also couldn't call it a Patriot, because that model name was in 327.
I have a Patriot and it's a handful in 327. I can see that firing full factory 327's would have a toll on it. I practice with Longs & 32 H&R's (I reload both) and I'm fine with a nice stout factory 32 H&R+P for carry.
It's a little larger than a J-frame and smaller the a K. Perfect size.
One less round, but if I do decide to carry with 327's, a few rounds out of it won't harm it. Just not for regular range use.
I really like mine and Charter stepped up quality.
Found a really nice old Bianchi holster for it.
Here's a pic of it.

The Charter Arms Bulldog frame size is closer to a Colt D size frame .. But lighter even though it is a steel frame

This is one of my posts comparing the Charter Bulldog frame size

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...#post-10996039
Old July 19, 2019, 12:59 PM   #42
JERRYS.

still no real reviews and very little press about this gun.
Old July 20, 2019, 08:09 AM   #43
SATRP

I'd rather have 5 .44 Special rounds outta da Bulldog.
Old July 20, 2019, 02:42 PM   #44
OneFreeTexan

I’m in the camp that loves 32 H&R Magnum,,,have several and going to add more as soon as Charter Arms gets this one out...I have picked up many over the years on Gunbroker, and have a couple dealers watching for me...they are eager to sell them to me, they please a seller by ‘taking it off their hands’ and know I will take it off their hands, so win-win deal all around.

I have had no problem with CA triggers,,, have dis-assembled one down to ‘just parts’ , studied it and figured out what to do to make it better. Very pleased

Also have some New England revolvers in 32 H&R,,, very please with those also.
Old August 3, 2019, 02:52 AM   #45
TruthTellers

There's been a number of complaints on these revolvers shooting low and I'm going to post the pictures of someone else's revolver from another forum to highlight the issue.

Stock photo:

Owner photo:

As you can see the shroud that this owner has is too thick and it has raised the front sight, which causes the POA to be higher than the POI.

Last edited by TruthTellers; August 3, 2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old August 3, 2019, 07:14 AM   #46
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
There's been a number of complaints on these revolvers shooting low and I'm going to post the pictures of someone else's revolver from another forum to highlight the issue.

Stock photo:

Owner photo:

As you can see the shroud that this owner has is too thick and it has raised the front sight, which causes the POA to be higher than the POI.
your pictures didn't come through, but a short front sight will make a gun shoot high.
Old August 3, 2019, 01:28 PM   #47
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
your pictures didn't come through, but a short front sight will make a gun shoot high.
Sight is not too tall, the shroud the sight is attached to is too high causing the gun to shoot low.

I'll see if I can fix the pics.