The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 15, 2019, 05:03 PM   #1
Prof Young

New grips on the mini.

I've had an NAA Black Widow for a couple of months now. It's mostly just for range fun, but I've carried it around town a couple of times.

It came with the big rubberized grip and I wondered what difference a smaller grip would make. I suspected I would not shoot it as well. So I got a nice looking wood grip and installed it. (See pics below). The little dude looks a lot more cool and I was surprised that the new grips did not make much difference in how well I shot the thing.

Fun stuff.

Life is Good
Prof Young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.JPG (97.5 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg after.JPG (101.5 KB, 99 views)
Old May 15, 2019, 05:16 PM   #2
JERRYS.

those are some well made guns, I loved the ones I owned in the past. what's surprising is going to the minimalist grip and still being as shootable as when the larger grips were on it; I never had such luck.
Old May 15, 2019, 07:23 PM   #3
Auto5

I have a Sheriff with the boot grip. I also tried the birdhead magnum grip. Nice looking and lower profile.
Old May 15, 2019, 08:37 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Much, much better looking. I've never understood the desire to turn a cool looking little mini into a butt ugly "midi".
For a range toy the fun is in seeing how well you can shoot the tiny little guns.
For carry, you can get a smaller in all dimentions, lighter, more powerful, and almost twice the capacity Kel-Tec P32.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 16, 2019, 09:43 PM   #5
Prof Young

Yes and . . .

Jerrys - Well the truth is that I didn't shoot it all that well with the big rubber grips so . . . .

Cheapshooter - I have a Ket Tec P3AT that is my other pocket gun.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old May 16, 2019, 10:47 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

I have the miniest of minis. The 22 short. Strictly a fun little range toy, but interestingly I found that in a situation requiring even more discrete concealment than offered by my LCP or P32, the mini tucks right into the watch pocket of jeans.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 17, 2019, 08:52 AM   #7
Armybrat

Some of the new Mini models aren’t so “mini”. I did put a boot grip on my old Spanish Fork made magnum, but it feels twice as bulky now.
A Ranger II is high on my want list, just because they are so neat like fine jewelry.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:04 AM   #8
Bob Wright

When those things first came out, some years ago, a friend of mine won one in some kind of contest/drawing, his the mini .22 Short. First time we ever shot it he had taken it with us on a huntin trip. Coming out of the woods we gave it a try. I held it in traditional revolver manner with thumb extended. Big mistake!

The barrel/cylinder gap burned my thumb and left that gray-green burnt powder coating on my thumb! We found the best grip was to hold the gun by the grip between thumb and forefinger and press the trigger with the off hand!

Bob Wright

P.S. O.K., O.K. ~ the gap didn't burn my thumb, but the flash emitted sure did!

Last edited by Bob Wright; May 18, 2019 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Re-read and corrected poor grammar.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:14 AM   #9
LineStretcher

This is my mini. It's not a revolver but a heck of a lot of fun at the range. When I carry it, I just tell people that I'm a mechanic and this is my portable impact driver.

Just an FYI, this is the highly collectable version B of the real UZI mini pistol. Lots of fakes are out there and they're good enough that you have to really do your research. I have the original case, original UZI mag pouch with the 20 round mag and two 32 round mags. I also have the original Importers barcode label and manual.

Last edited by LineStretcher; May 18, 2019 at 10:21 AM.