The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 14, 2019, 09:57 AM   #1
Mal H
Staff

Denis Prisbrey passed away

It is with great sadness that we have to report the death of Denis Prisbrey, known as DPris around here. He was far too young at age 66.

He was one of the most helpful members we have ever had.

RIP Denis

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/de...3586&fhid=4538
Old May 14, 2019, 11:59 AM   #2
reteach

I'm sorry to hear that. I benefited from his knowledge and always enjoyed his sense of humor. Best wishes to Mr. Prisbey's family and friends.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:01 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

That's a shocker! Maybe my sense of time is distorted, but in my mind I think I recall seeing posts by him here fairly recently.

R.I.P DPris.
Old May 14, 2019, 02:01 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

He was a good friend.
I used to go shooting with him when I was a kid, but lost touch in the '90s.
Our paths crossed again, on this very forum.
We were hoping to be meeting for lunch this weekend.

He stayed as active as he could until the very end.
There was a very serious medical issue that he was dealing with, but appeared to be bouncing back as well as could be hoped.
When he had the energy, he was on the computer - posting on forums, emailing industry contacts, and finishing up his last articles.

He was not going to surrender.
Old May 14, 2019, 02:25 PM   #5
DaleA

When I was young, 66 was old.
Now that I'm old, 66 seems to be way too young to pass away.

This is very judgmental on my part and certainly not fair but is suspect EVERYBODY does it, that is they form some kind of opinion of the regular posters on this site.

I always though of DPris as a kind person and knowledgeable about our interest. I do NOT remember him picking on others and I DO remember him as trying to add to the overall knowledge on this site.

I'm sad he is gone. I hope he appreciated how much we appreciated him but I don't see how that would be possible.

P.S. For everyone on the site that has a bucket list, this should be a prod to get to it.
Old May 14, 2019, 03:02 PM   #6
TailGator

I only knew him here, but I valued his knowledge and his willingness to share it. My condolences to his loved ones and his personal friends.
Old May 14, 2019, 04:07 PM   #7
Crankylove

Sad to see him go.

I, like Frankenmauser, knew as a kid, lost touch, and found him again here.

Glad to have known ya Dennis, rest easy.
Old May 14, 2019, 04:38 PM   #8
BarryLee

My condolences to the family, friends and fellow TFL members. I never knew him beyond his Posts on this site, but based on his obituary it sounds like he was a wonderful man.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 14, 2019, 04:58 PM   #9
JERRYS.

very sad, there are no words for this sort of thing.

yes, 66 is really too young.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:49 AM   #10
Sequins

I'm really bummed to hear of his passing. 66, wow, not that old... I too remember seeing his posts what feels like just last week at the latest. He was such an asset to the community.

I'm jealous of those of you who knew him in your youth, I bet that was fun.

RIP DPris, I only knew ye on this forum but even I mourn your passing and will note your absence.
Old May 15, 2019, 03:34 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

I am saddened by this news. RIP, Dpris.
Old May 15, 2019, 04:12 AM   #12
globemaster3

Only knew him from the forum, but he always sounded knowledgeable and seemed like a good guy. His obit reinforces that. Sounds like he went out fighting.

RIP.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old May 15, 2019, 04:54 AM   #13
Sevens

Cannot believe what I've read here. My prayers for Denis and for his family.
Old May 15, 2019, 07:03 PM   #14
Evan Thomas
Staff

This is very sad news. Rest in peace, Denis.
Old May 16, 2019, 07:42 AM   #15
buck460XVR

He was a wealth of information and will be surely missed here and on other gun forums. 66........way too young.
Old May 16, 2019, 08:08 AM   #16
Targa

Sorry to hear this, prayers to his family and friends.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:54 AM   #17
KyJim

Very sad news. I only knew him through a couple of firearms forums, especially this one. He seemed to be one of "the good guys." Condolences to his family and friends.
Old May 16, 2019, 04:50 PM   #18
ratshooter

Well thats two gone recently. Dennis and Terry Murbach. Terry was my all time favorite gunwriter and I have shared a lot of emails with him and was invited to his house to visit. I wish I would have went. He posted here as Wil Terry.

Dennis had excellent post and was a real champion of Henry Rifles. I am sure they will miss him too. One of my favorite uncles died at 62. He was my spare dad but died 9 months after my dad died. Too much death. Too much bad news. Rest in peace Dennis.

I can understand your anger at me, but what could you possibly have against the horse I rode in on?
Old May 16, 2019, 05:37 PM   #19
603Country

Very sad! Way too young.
Old May 16, 2019, 06:58 PM   #20
Nanuk

RIP Denis. Sad news indeed.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:19 PM   #21
FrankenMauser

Denis had an excellent relationship with Henry Rifles, and even Anthony Imperato, himself.
He received no personal compensation for such. He was just a fan.

I'd like to share two chapters of a story that ties Denis Prisbrey's character and Henry Rifles together.
These are from personal email conversations. As such, I've done minor editing for privacy.

Early January, 2019:
Quote:
Saturday before (since you’re such a Henry-Hater) Christmas, went out with a family of friends shooting their Henrys.

Couple days later told Imperato how much fun we’d had with his products, thought he could use some positive feedback.

Mentioned my partially autistic buddy in that family will be getting his Eagle Scout in the Spring & how hard he’s worked for it.

Imperato & I’d worked out a Scout Tribute rifle for ["Josh"] a couple years back, to reward him for keeping on with the program.

Imperato’s immediate response was “I’m gonna build him an EAGLE Tribute Rifle, no charge. Give me his initials and date of birth for the serial number again.”

I offered to pay, he said no.

[Josh] will be over the moon.

I ain’t never been hugged so hard as when I gave him that first rifle. Took him TWO years to get up the courage to shoot it, “It’s too nice!”
Early April, 2019:
Quote:
[In late March, I] made it to my autistic buddy’s Eagle Scout Court Of Honor, was able to do a short speech & present [Josh] with the Eagle Scout Tribute Henry rifle that Imperato had had built just for [Josh].

He couldn’t speak when he opened it up.

Two guys up there in front of 50 people in the audience, bawling our heads off.

When it was [Josh]’s turn to do his own speech, he called three people up for his own special recognition, one at a time.

First was appropriately his Dad, then an uncle (also an Eagle Scout) who’d helped with several of his merit badges.

And then me.

Bob, I got two or three old medals from the AF, three or four citations from the old PD.

Ain’t a one of ‘em worth dog [poop] next to the Scout Mentor pin [Josh] gave me, attached to the note thanking me for my friendship and help over the years.

[Josh]’s late Grandpa had also been in the Air Force, and he was [Josh]’s hero.

[Josh]’s always wanted to join too, but obviously can’t.

Looked silly, I’m sure, a bent-over grey old fart in sweatpants & sandals (all I can wear at the moment) leaning on a cane, but I stood to attention best I could & on behalf of myself, Senior Master Sergeant [redacted for privacy] (late USAF), and the United States Air Force that [Josh] reveres but can never join, I rendered the only formal hand salute I’ve given to any man since leaving the AF over 40 years ago.

Eagle Scout, FFA leadership, 4-H horse-riding competitor, solo pianist, high-school concert orchestra violinist.