The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 1, 2002, 06:57 AM   #1
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Cabin Fever antidotes....

Like many hunters out there,I go through withdrawal this time of year. In years past, The depression,restlessness and irritability can been reduced by doing various projects, and often this in the only time of year when time allows. So, here's a few ideas of some shotgun related activities to pass the time until good fishing sets in and the spring leagues take shape.

First, tear down those shotguns and deep clean them. For the auto folks, this is a good time to replace any O rings, friction rings, springs etc.

It's also a slow time for gunsmiths, so maybe this is the best time to get Ol' Betsy in for that trigger job, Forcing cone job, rechoke, and so on.

And there's home projects too, including one I just might get into, a stock refinish. I wouldn't recommend redoing your Perazzi as a first project, but prettying up your pumpgun may be within your abilities. Sandpaper, 4/0 steel wool, and a large helping of patience are required, and your choice of finishes, like Tru Oil, Urethane, etc. Suggestion, when doing this, use the sealer on the end grain also to minimize hydration changes and corrosion.

And, your results can oft imitate a professional job, depending on your skills and creativity. I ran across one trapshooter who used aniline dyes to make his Model 12 stock look very much like his 60s Gibson Les Paul Deluxe with the Cherry Sunburst finish.Even to traditional minded me, it looked good.

Next, you might want to slip into the polypro, add a few layers of wool/down/fleece and hit the range. Great time for patterning,stock adjustments and zeroing.

And, there's getting ready for spring turkey, predator hunting, late snow goose season, and more than one might think of this time of year.

Another idea, learn to reload. New equipment is oft marked down post holiday, and used stuff pops up on range BB and in the want ads. Save money, or shoot more for the same money, and get better ammo to boot.

OK, folks, there's my ideas for fighting the Shack Nasties. How about yours?....
Old February 1, 2002, 01:15 PM   #2
Adamantium

The thought of stoping shooting never even occured to me . Yesterday me and my shooting friend shot in the rain and 6 inches of slush and melting snow. You've just got to look at things positively. Sure the strong crosswind might blow rain in your face, but it makes shooting pigeons all the more unpredictable and funner. Plus snow can add adventures of it's own, we also put my car into (more like over actually) a large snow bank, it took us 30 minutes just to dig the thing out of it enough to rock it out of there. But then again we are young and strong and stupid, some older people don't like to think of spending as much time gettig there and back as they do shooting.

But if this is the off season for you, you could always invest in a hunting computer game. Cabela's Big Game Hunter III is my favorite. And Doom never goes out of style for the self-defense guru's either, Dark Forces is a nice game also and can be probably had for $10.

This also might be a good time to run by the library and pick up those last few shotgun books that you haven't read yet.

Sincerely,
Adam
Old February 1, 2002, 03:54 PM   #3
KSFreeman

I'm in northern Indiana; the weather is always nasty--hot & humid in the summer and cold & windy in the winter with rain in between. But this why we have dry fire practice.

1/2 hour (as a good TFLer, I watch the Simpsons) in front of TV, curls, reverse curls, lats, situps and bench presses. Shoot at the ads. I have those orange snap cap things that help with reloading/unloading drills.

Safety first--coffee can and verbal declaration! (It also helps to live alone--ahhh, the quiet).
Old February 1, 2002, 07:21 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

It was 82 degrees here in Columbia.

Coyotes and squirrels are still in season. Hogs too......

Giz
Old February 2, 2002, 07:12 AM   #5
PJR

Two winter trap leagues are keeping my time occupied on weekends. I've found the nastier the weather, the better my scores get in comparison to the competition. I'm not sure why but maybe it's the challenge of shooting during a freezing rain storm and wiping ice off the rib as you change stations.

But if you dress properly for the weather, winter shooting is no problem at all.

Paul
Old February 2, 2002, 08:13 AM   #6
Chuck Graber

Shack Nasties

Dave,
I am still shooting between 50 and 150 clay targets a week and working ahead on my reloading. In a couple of weeks i should have every hulll I have reloaded.

I am also a fly fisherman so this is the prime time of year for refilling the fly boxes and making sure that all of my gear is ready to go this spring.

Chuck Graber
Old February 2, 2002, 01:50 PM   #7
johnbt

Virtual Benchrest II

It's a long download, but it's fun to try and outguess the wind. And it's free.

www.kcmultimedia.com/vbr/

Yeah, I know it's not shotgun related

John
Old February 3, 2002, 08:15 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for the input, folks.

While I'm still shooting some trap, I'm also researching some loads. I'll do a bit of patterning today, and shoot a round since I'll be there anyway.