The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2017, 10:37 AM   #26
Bucksnort1

Ok, I think I'm on the right track.

My load data came from the Sierra V. 8.

There is this little thing called, "operator error". Condor, I won the battle with the die. It was operator error on my part. I don't know exactly what was going on but there was a slight misalignment with the case at the mouth of the die. I jiggled (now there's a sophisticated engineering term) it a bit and was able to seat the bullet nicely. I seated to 1.155". I am using my Lee turret press as a single stage unit for this bunch of cartridges. I should have moved the die over to my Rock Chucker to see if the problem existed there. All is well now.

I attached a photo of the bullet.

"Alcohol never solved any problems but then, neither has milk".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0901 - Copy.JPG (127.6 KB, 19 views)
Old May 20, 2017, 10:54 AM   #27
74A95

To determine what the proper OAL might need to be, you might need to do the plunk test, described here: http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloadi...he-plunk-test/

In simple terms, the bullet shoulder should protrude slightly past the case mouth. See post #7 here: https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=463109
Old May 20, 2017, 11:30 AM   #28
condor bravo

Good, I knew you would get the best of it.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:40 AM   #29
condor bravo

44 AMP
I've beaten the hell out of a Lyman orange hammer to no avail. But perhaps breaking the seal will do the trick. In the meantime I found some moon clips stashed away that seem to be for the 10mm revolver. So will follow up on that first before going to the frustration of again trying to pull bullets (after breaking the seal first).
Old May 20, 2017, 03:10 PM   #30
Bucksnort1

I forgot to add this. I loaded some 185 grain JPHs to 1.275" then test fired them. The Taurus 45 ACP had no problem cycling and I did not test them in my 1911 or my 45 ACP AMT Backup.
Old May 21, 2017, 04:41 PM   #31
condor bravo

Digressing to posts 22, 23, 24 and 29 that relates to .40 S&W overloads with HP-38 powder and what to do with the remaining rounds:

The heavy Smith revolver 10mm mdl 610 using moon clips did short work on the .40 overloads, contrary to the way they performed in the Springfield semi. Upon firing they felt like .38s and the primers did not appear flattened as fired in the Springfield.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:30 PM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
contrary to the way they performed in the Springfield semi....
Every gun & ammo combination has different limits. Even consecutive serial # guns can have pressure limits different enough to notice.

The difference between what is a hot load, max load, over max load or just a regular load can be the gun, and the gun alone.

This is why we carefully work up our personal max loads specific to a SINGLE GUN, and drop back to "ground zero" starting point and work up again, when we change to a different gun.
Old May 22, 2017, 01:03 PM   #33
Reloadron

Quote:
I have a handful of Hornady, .451", 185 grain target bullets. These bullets have full metal jackets except for a small amount of lead exposed at the flat surface. There is no lead protruding above the jacket. The bullet is conical in shape. I'm assuming I load them as a regular jacketed bullet. Is this correct?

Also, the bullets are only .515" (approx.) long. If I seat them so the C.O.A.L. is .1275", the bullet will fall out of the case.

What is my C.O.A.L. for this bullet? I have no load data for them.

I have been loading 185 grain JHP bullets with 5.2 grains of HP-38 powder. May I use this recipe with this bullet or any recipe for a 185 grain JHP or FMJ?
The bullet you describe sounds to me like the Hornady 185 grain SWC (Semi Wad Cutter) Target, Hornady #45137. The Hornady 9th Edition will give a suggested C.O.L of 1.135". The only other Hornady manufactured bullet in a .451 diameter at 185 grains for .45 ACP would be the 185 grain HP XTP which your description does not come close to fitting. The Hornady Test Gun was a Springfield 1911 having a 5.0" barrel.

I would load to 1.135" if you want to run with the Hornady data for their bullet.

Ron