The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old February 14, 2011, 01:15 AM   #1
beex215

motion sensor alarm buying

this might be the right place to ask.

im thinking about buying a motion sensor alarm but i have no clue on what to get from brands to features. can anyone help?

yes this is to alert you so you can blast the bad people away.
Old February 14, 2011, 04:39 AM   #2
Davey

I'm in the process of installing my alarm system in my house and I'm learning a lot along the way. I have it up and running with future plans in mind.

Are you looking for just a motion sensor? Motion sensors can be inconvenient if you, children, or pets, need to walk around the house. I have a motion sensor but am having second thoughts of putting it in my basement where I originally planned.

I would much rather use door and window sensors instead. That way the alarm is tripped before an intruder even steps foot inside. With a motion sensor the bad guy would have to be already INSIDE the house. That's too late in my opinion.

My alarm isn't monitored at the moment. For the time being it is more to let me know that something is going on and I or my fiancee need to grab the gun.

I've bought all my gear from homesecuritystore.com. It's a legit shop with good tech support if needed.

I'm using a Vista 20P with three door sensors and eight more ready to be installed.

If you're looking for something stand alone they may still have something for you. They have a lot of stuff on their site.
Old February 14, 2011, 08:45 AM   #3
Scout

Check out the Dakota Alert. It's great if you have a long driveway. We even use it to alert of hogs on the feeder because it's fairly sensitive.
Old February 14, 2011, 09:29 AM   #4
beex215

il check them out. thanks
Old February 14, 2011, 09:55 AM   #5
mrgoodwrench76

I'm with Davey that the door and window sensors are the way to go. I used to install these systems and the motion sensors caught more family pets and mom using the bathroom in the middle of the night than anything else. Glass break detectors are a good idea. If someone were to break the window instead of opening it, then the window sensor would be useless. And if you get a system with a dialer, even if you choose not to pay the monitoring fees, you can make it call your cell or work phone.
Old February 14, 2011, 09:56 AM   #6
mrgoodwrench76

In order to better protect your firearms of course. This is a firearm forum afterall.
Old February 14, 2011, 11:26 AM   #7
CWKahrFan

If you want to try cheap... Those little Doberman stand-alone units that you can buy at Home Depot work well. I've had 5 of them for a year with the same batteries and they've been reliable and as-advertised... Easy to install and simple to operate.
Old February 14, 2011, 03:37 PM   #8
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
In order to better protect your firearms of course. This is a firearm forum afterall.
Yep, and while Tactics & Training does occasionally allow for some deviation from that, the central focus still remains on guns.

This is focused only on alarms and wanders just a wee bit too far off topic.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread