The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 19, 2019, 01:59 PM   #1
seanc

Mini CZ 527 7.62x39 range session report

There's many great CZ 527 reviews out there, this is just a supplemental to all of those on a few issues I noticed that weren't covered in the other reviews.

Confirmation:
1. As just about all the other reviews have stated, the darn thing is accurate with either steel or brass cased ammo, maybe even better with steel.
2. The Turkish walnut is beautiful.
3. The trigger pull is perfect. The set trigger is an accident waiting to happen. Good thing the standard trigger is excellent and the set trigger really isn't needed.
4. Just a pleasure to shoot: Accurate, Smooth trigger and bolt, Readily points to aim, Mild recoil, Cheap ammo means you can enjoy it as long as you like.

My observations on this rifle with the youth stock (3/4" shorter LOP than standard stock):
1. The iron sights sit way too low. I beat the crap out of my cheek on the 1st range session. It's a must to scope it or change the irons.
2. These rifles beg to be scoped. After putting on medium height Burris scope rings and a temporary, cheap, POS UTG scope, no more cheek slap and accuracy was confirmed. At 100 yards, had may 3-hole groups (5 rounds) around 1 1/2" with the fat crosshairs on the UTG scope that complete obscured the aimpoint. This rifle has proven itself worthy and will be getting a better scope.
3. Other reviews have mentioned that the thin barrel can walk a little. When I was slow firing at 100 yards from the bench, I found this a little, but not as bad as MAC found. I slow fired to try to keep the barrel as cool as possible and had decent groups, but even when I pushed my rate of fire, group size really didn't grow that much and seemed more my mistakes than the rifles for any bad shots. At 25 yards, we shot as fast as we could reload and the barrel was just shy of smokin and we were getting good offhand groups.
4. All ammo worked well except Winchester which gave me 2 rounds that just wouldn't fire out of 10. That box was at least 10 years old, but so was some of the PPU and Brown Bear I was shooting too, if not older. Golden Tiger gave the best groups closely followed by PPU RNSP, then Hornady SST Black Box tied with Brown Bear. The PPU was also the hottest shooting.

Last night's local 25 yard range session with my son for some offhand shooting was a blast. Mostly 2" groups (offhand, 25 yards...), some smaller but there was always 1 that boogered the 5 shot group that usually looked like 3 shot groups (only 3 holes). Always that last shot dropping below the others.

No pictures, but this did happen. I just got this rifle for my son to hunt with (and me) and it's seen about 200+ rounds in the last 2 weeks. Hopefully this weekend it'll take it's 1st deer (my K31 has dibs).
Old September 19, 2019, 05:35 PM   #2
10-96

Thanks for the rundown. I have one, and, well, it has to work double hard to keep itself residing at my house. I don't know why I was expecting better performance out of it. I'd spent a really long time reading the write-ups and reviews on it.

My problems, it the action is way rougher than a CZ bolt gun ought to be. Sometimes it's a downright chore to get a round chambered. And, the accuracy... I realize the 7.62x39 isn't known for accuracy, but I kind of still expect a CZ rifle of any flavor to be able to group better than 2+" at 100yds. Like yours, mine has about 200rnds through it so far.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 19, 2019, 06:46 PM   #3
Rimfire5

I wouldn't be surprised with 2 in. groups at 100 yards with the kind of ammo that most 7.62x39 shooters use.
The junk steel case ammo is cheap and shoots as you would expect cheap ammo to shoot.
Pull a bullet or two and see if you can identify the stuff in the steel cases as powder. I couldn't. It didn't look like any powder I have used to reload.

When I switched to hand loads with non-steel core bullets and real powder, I reduced my group sizes in half.
Old September 19, 2019, 08:08 PM   #4
10-96

Rimfire, I don't have any steel cased ammo to pull apart. All mine has ever had has been various brass cased except for 5rnds of 154gr round nosed soft point stuff a friend gave me, not even sure of who made it. Kinda looked cool though. Anyway, it shot and fed about the same as the brass PPU- not great, but not bad.

Old September 20, 2019, 09:20 AM   #5
seanc

10-96:
Quote:
My problems, it the action is way rougher than a CZ bolt gun ought to be. Sometimes it's a downright chore to get a round chambered. And, the accuracy... I realize the 7.62x39 isn't known for accuracy, but I kind of still expect a CZ rifle of any flavor to be able to group better than 2+" at 100yds. Like yours, mine has about 200rnds through it so far.
10-96, that's the kind of response I was looking for. I've seen good reviews and some bad reviews, but no back and forth on those reviews.

Given the reputation of CZ, I rolled the dice and placed my order with Buds and I think I got lucky. If it didn't shoot well, I was prepared to sell it off.

Before my purchase, I was comparing it to a Ruger American, but the RAR's bolt was soo gritty and the machining soo rough, I passed. The RAR's get good reviews on accuracy, but I didn't care for their trigger either. Not a bad trigger, I just didn't like it.

As far as chambering rounds, everything chambered easily except the PPU RNSP which took some force to close the bolt. I chambered and ejected a couple of those rounds and measured them but found no change in OAL, so I'm guessing the shoulder could be a bit long for the chamber.

For accuracy, I was happy with what I saw considering the crosshairs obscured my targets and I had 10-18 mph crosswinds that day. I do consider under 2" good for the caliber, especially for store bought, cheap ammo. I don't know if I'm motivated to reload for this caliber, so 1.5" groups have me happy. My K31 is my 1MOA rifle for reloads, GP11 and commercial. The only loads for that rifle not MOA are some of my own reloads!
Old September 21, 2019, 05:10 AM   #6
armoredman

My 527M has been around me for years. Handy dandy accurate little rifle. Got a one of a kind stock for it just because my buddy decided to take me up on the challenge. The bolt was rough at the beginning but has worn in beautifully. It's my favorite bolt action carbine. One of the fun things I'll do with it is hit the CG range when Tommy tactical is flinging lead from his souped up tacticool rifle at a 50 yard target, prone, scoped, etc, and I'll be ringing my steel at 150-200 yards standing with iron sights.
Oh, that was one change I made - I replaced the rear sight with a Marbles adjustable silver soldered on by the same guy. Much better.
Old September 21, 2019, 02:02 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The set trigger is an accident waiting to happen.
It's only supposed to be used immediately before firing. Muzzle on target, ready to fire, set the trigger, fire the gun.

I agree that setting the trigger any sooner than immediately before firing would be a bad idea.
Old September 21, 2019, 11:22 PM   #8
fourbore

The set trigger pull can be adjusted heavier than the factory setting. The set trigger can be used on paper. Its use is optional. I dont think the American hunter cares so much and these old school European type rifles seem to be disappearing from the cz line up. The 453 rimfire is gone. The 550 standard length is gone. Both replaced with simple push feed guns with simple triggers for the american taste. I on the other hand, am un-american and took the opportunity to stock up on the old model cz rifles. Including the 527 which is no doubt the next gun to get replaced.
Old September 22, 2019, 02:56 AM   #9
armoredman

I like the set trigger myself. Don't BREATHE too hard...
Old September 22, 2019, 01:44 PM   #10
Areoflyer09

I’ve truly enjoyed my x39 527 Carbine.

The small amount of roughness my bolt has smoothed out in 2-300 rounds. 1.5-2” groups have been pretty common for me running steel case ammo, which is what I use 99% of the time. I’ve tried brass PPU, but it didn’t run as smoothly as the steel ammo does.
Old September 23, 2019, 05:48 PM   #11
precision_shooter

CZ actually recommends steel cased ammo, and says the rifle will function better with it than brass cased ammo.
My 527 was good for 1-1.5” groups at 100 yds when I did my part. Actually just sold it today.
If CZ would make this same rifle in 6.5 Grendel, I’d order one tomorrow!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old September 23, 2019, 08:24 PM   #12
Areoflyer09

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision_shooter View Post
CZ actually recommends steel cased ammo, and says the rifle will function better with it than brass cased ammo.
My 527 was good for 1-1.5” groups at 100 yds when I did my part. Actually just sold it today.
If CZ would make this same rifle in 6.5 Grendel, I’d order one tomorrow!
The 527 American comes in the Grendel. I’ve not quite figured out how CZ picks which models get which calibers.
Old September 23, 2019, 09:16 PM   #13
AgedWarrior

I have a 527 American in 6.5 Grendel. It is becoming one of my favorites to shoot. The bolt was a little stiff chambering at first, but is pretty smooth now...actually, very smooth. The set trigger is pretty sweet if you are perforating paper on the range, but, as has been pointed out, the trigger is quite nice without the set function. I have been getting pretty good accuracy with Hornady 123 SST’s and CFE 223; consistently under 1” at 100. Still playing with loads to see if it likes another combo better.
Old September 24, 2019, 12:33 PM   #14
precision_shooter

Yes, but they don’t make the “same rifle” being the Carbine in the Grendel. If I wanted a rifle like the American in 6.5 I would have just kept my Tikka in 6.5 Creed...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old September 24, 2019, 07:42 PM   #15
Archie

I have the carbine version. 7.62x39mm caliber. I bought it as a hunting rifle. The Tula 154 grain load is rather demure in recoil and groups (I forget exactly) well enough for deer hunting.

It functions well, I haven't noted any of the roughness reported by others. It has a controlled feed bolt, so round have to be fed from the magazine. As it holds five rounds, I do not foresee the need of an instant reload. I like the factory iron sights and have no problem with finding them. But I'm getting older so I may mount a low power scope to help my eyes.

I did work up a load with a 150 grain .303 British bullet. Time is about 150 fps faster than the factory loading.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old September 25, 2019, 01:05 AM   #16
bamaranger

x39mm bolt rifle

I have posted many times that a tidy bolt rifle in 7.62x39mm is one handy item and will do maybe 75% or more of what most of us need a rifle to do. I don't have a CZ, but have a x39mm bolt rifle from a US maker and it is one of my favorite whitetail rigs.

I too bought the little rifle for bamaboy, who hunted it very little before jumping to larger calibers. I hunt the x39mm bolt a bit every season, sometimes a great deal. My two largest rifle killed whitetails have both dropped to the x39mm.

Regards loads, for quite a few years I shot the .30 cal Sierra 135 gr SSP bullet, purchasing several hundred upon learning they were discontinued. Accuracy was exceptable, and performance on deer yielded dead critters when hit properly. Those slugs are all but gone, and some experimenting has led me to the Hornady 125 gr SST. Velocity and expansion seem superior to the SSP Sierra. Accuracy seemed so-so till I started seating the bullets out as far as the mag well would allow. Apparently my rifle has a very generous throat.My tailored x39 loads will not fit in a Mini or AK mag, but turn my bolt rifle into a real tack driver.
Old September 28, 2019, 08:09 PM   #17
gray1

front sight

Have any of you needed a lower front sight?
Old September 28, 2019, 09:32 PM   #18
10-96

Lower front sight? Nope, got a scope on mine.