The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 20, 2019, 10:02 PM   #1
Mackie244Bud

Sig Releasing a P365XL

Saw this today at Osage County Guns:

Sig Sauer P365XL

Features:

* XSeries P365 Grip Module with Integrated Carry Magwell and Extended Beavertail
* Flat Trigger with a 90 Degree Break
* Optic Ready Slide Compatible with Romeo Zero and RMSc Optics
* XRay3 Day/Night Sights
* 3.7” Barrel for Increased Accuracy While Retaining Concealability.
* (2) 12rd Steel Magazines

Link to Story:

https://www.osagecountyguns.com/blog...sauer-p365-xl/

Sig Sauer P365XL.jpg

I was going to buy a P365 MS but now I will have to take a serious look at the P365XL
Old May 21, 2019, 06:34 AM   #2
TxFlyFish

Uh I was just joking in the other thread...I guess Sig did go down this route. Great looking gun but the “XL” is major turn off. Maybe just name it 365L like p30l.

XS sights on XL gun

Last edited by TxFlyFish; May 21, 2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old May 21, 2019, 07:45 AM   #3
USNRet93

kinda like a glock 45..only more expensive...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old May 21, 2019, 01:29 PM   #4
fastbolt

Of course they did. Have to try and keep up with S&W's new PC-tuned 4" Shield 9 that's optics-ready.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...l-optics-ready
Old May 21, 2019, 02:33 PM   #5
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93:
kinda like a glock 45..only more expensive...
Kinda like a Glock 48 only more expensive - LOL
Old May 21, 2019, 03:35 PM   #6
FishinLuke

@fastbolt "Of course they did. Have to try and keep up with S&W's new PC-tuned 4" Shield 9 that's optics-ready.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...l-optics-ready"

Except it'll have 4 extra rounds on board with the same size as the PC Shield. I'm on board with this, seems like the perfect size. And 15 round extended magazines coming out for range use.
Old May 21, 2019, 03:45 PM   #7
Mackie244Bud

M&P Shield is max 8 round mag

The P365XL will have a Flush Fit 12 Round Magazine..

As far as price at this point it's MSRP is the same as the P365 $599.99 which of course street price is $499.99
I am surprised at that MSRP.
..with a longer Slide & Barrel, Flat Trigger, Optics Cut, 12 round Flush fit Mag that it would have a higher MSRP than the original P365.
We will just have to see what it actually ends up costing...but a $599.99 MSRP is encouraging..That's a lot more Bang for the same price!

As far as being like the Glock 45 only more expensive..
I do not think that the P365XL is anything at all like the Glock 45..
The Glock 45 is the G19X in Black with a few variations..
.as far as price on GunBroker the Glock 45 is averaging $540.00
If the MSRP holds for the P365XL it may be selling for less than the G45 or even to.
We will just have to wait and see..
I think that the G45 is a Bad comparison.
Either the G43 or G48 are better comparisons on paper with the P365XL in my opinion better than them both.
BUT
We are getting ahead of ourselves as the gun is not here yet, so we will just have to wait for results and comparisons.
I do want to See IT, Hold IT and if possible Shoot IT fer sure.

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; May 21, 2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old May 21, 2019, 03:59 PM   #8
FishinLuke

You can preorder them from Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore for $579.99
Old May 21, 2019, 04:37 PM   #9
Mackie244Bud

Thanks for the Info:

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/219944

Like the P365's I expect the price to be high at first.

It took quite awhile before the P365's were selling consistently for $499.99
I'm not sure that I can wait that long. LOL!

I purchased my P365 in April of 2018 and paid $525.00 which at the time wasn't bad.
They started out on GunBroker 3 months earlier at $700 to $800.00 it was Crazy!
If it's $579.00 now it may get near the 500 mark we'll have to see.
Old May 22, 2019, 06:13 AM   #10
OhioGuy

Oh...man...

So it looks like these magazines will be their own thing -- flush fitting 12 rounders?

Now I wonder whether this supposed 15 rounder will be only for one model or the other, or have optional grip sleeves so you can choose?

Optics ready. Damn you Sig, where was this gun when I got my PPS with the red dot?

Maybe I'll keep the dot off my Walther, sell the gun at a massive loss for like $250, buy this P365XL for almost $600, pick up a 15 round magazine for $50, install my red dot that I really never needed in the first place but bought because I like it and...lie to myself that it was all worth the price!!!

It's such a stupid but strangely appealing idea
Old May 22, 2019, 06:31 AM   #11
USNRet93

Quote:
I do not think that the P365XL is anything at all like the Glock 45.
Probably not...no quick trips back to the factory for 'upgrades' to make it work OK..Note->

Geez, this forum should be renamed...'luvmeasigforever'....

"Tools not Trophies”
Old May 22, 2019, 06:41 AM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
Probably not...no quick trips back to the factory for 'upgrades' to make it work OK..Note->

Geez, this forum should be renamed...'luvmeasigforever'....
You know Glock Talk is an option if you're feeling left out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; May 22, 2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old May 22, 2019, 07:12 AM   #13
sparkyv

It defeats the purpose of the P365 for me (pocket carry). But there are many to which this appeals, and SIG does good marketing, soooo....
Old May 22, 2019, 07:24 AM   #14
Bartholomew Roberts

I’m not sure why SIG wants to introduce a pistol that is going to compete with its own P320C; but it is nice to have choices I guess.

For me the major attraction to the 365 was full-size features crammed into such a tiny package at a solid price. And even then, I didn’t really find the incremental improvement worth the cost.
Old May 22, 2019, 07:50 AM   #15
Siggy-06

Maybe the XL grip module will actually fit my medium hands unlike the current P365.
Old May 22, 2019, 07:52 AM   #16
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
You know Glock Talk is an option if you're feeling left out.

Nope, I have fun on the glock forums as well as this 'sig' forum...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old May 22, 2019, 10:36 AM   #17
jmhyer

What bothers me about the way Sig is doing their optics ready pistols is that, once the optic is installed, there is no rear sight. I don't understand that. Does anyone else?
Old May 22, 2019, 11:03 AM   #18
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhyer View Post
What bothers me about the way Sig is doing their optics ready pistols is that, once the optic is installed, there is no rear sight. I don't understand that. Does anyone else?
So actually their new micro red dot, if you look at the link from Osage and scroll down, actually has a rear sight built into it. But otherwise I agree.

I think the reason is their optics placed for the M17 was designed around the Leupold Deltapoint Pro, which has a rear sight built into the red dot.

Last edited by TunnelRat; May 22, 2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:06 AM   #19
davidsog

Quote:
For me the major attraction to the 365 was full-size features crammed into such a tiny package at a solid price.
Exactly and the entire point of the P365, LOL.

Quote:
And even then, I didn’t really find the incremental improvement worth the cost.
Trying to think of the reasoning behind it myself....

Job justification for SIG USA? Giving the engineer on staff who graduated with a "C" average a project? Something for all the ShockWave owners...obviously there is a market?

Old May 22, 2019, 11:18 AM   #20
TunnelRat

When we have people buying Glock 43x/48, I don't think this is that unusual of a product. Is it necessary? Idk. What some people buy others don't.

Old May 22, 2019, 11:42 AM   #21
sigarms228

Good for SIG and they will sell a whole lot of the P365XL and I will be interested in trying one out. I expect we will see more of the same design from other manufacturers this year.
Old May 22, 2019, 08:38 PM   #22
wild cat mccane

Sig loving website?

9 out of 10 posts from me is Walther has the best firearm in the PPQ/P99.

Can we all take a step back and think for a moment. Let's think about...I don't know...Kahr.

CM9/PM9=P365 is as small and holds nearly double the rounds with a better trigger and no huge take down lever.

P9/CW9=P365XL is as small and smaller while holding almost double the rounds with a better trigger and no huge take down lever.

Two versions of a P365 just made Kahr features obsolete.

Beretta?
APX Compact/Centurion and PX4c. P365XL holds just as much (only one less than the APXc) while being smaller overall.
Nano/APX Carry. No point. P365 is smaller and about double the round count. Also doesn't have the Nano trigger (dog crap).

See the game?

Full size? Sure. You win. Carry pistols? Everyone is going to have to change.

The PPS, Shields, LC9s, Nanos, CCP, G43...might be good...but...
Old May 22, 2019, 08:43 PM   #23
TunnelRat

I really don't know if everyone is going to have to change. I think that's a bit of hyperbole. People are still buying other pistols (heck people are still buying J frames). The market didn't fall off a cliff when the P365 came out. I don't think it will with this either.

Old May 22, 2019, 09:36 PM   #24
OhioGuy

I think the market is shifting toward higher capacities and red dot carry optics.

Soon, releasing a 9mm single stack that only holds 7 rounds will be like releasing a new car that has window cranks.

Do you NEED power windows? No, but the market will make the old ways obsolete.

Now, as I already have a Walther PPS RMS-C, well I spend hundreds more dollars to get a comparably sized gun that holds more ammunition? no, I love the one that I already have and I can carry 9 rounds plus a reload easily. Thanks to Sig oh, I guess soon I will be able to carry a gun the same size with 16 rounds in it, but I'm making the choice that 9 in a single load is sufficient for me. if I were ever to buy another single stack gun for whatever reason, I can't imagine I would buy anything other than one with more capacity.

Especially if I can move my existing Red Dot optic from one gun to the other
Old May 22, 2019, 10:02 PM   #25
TunnelRat

I don't personally see this as in the same ballpark as crank versus power windows, especially in the context of common usage. While I also think red dots on pistols will become more prominent, we're only just seeing more widespread use of red dots on duty pistols, much less concealed carry pistols. Power windows are practically expected on a car, in most cases you have to ask a dealer to find one without or order one that way. That's not true with red dots on pistols, as manufacturers are just starting to add optic cuts on more options (and I'm not convinced that these additions are because everyone buying such a pistol is immediately mounting a red dot but rather that it becomes a marketing attempt of another feature to differentiate themselves from or keep up with the competition). Red dots on pistols may well be the standard one day, but I don't think that day is what I'd term as "soon".

Quote:
if I were ever to buy another single stack gun for whatever reason, I can't imagine I would buy anything other than one with more capacity.
I think there's an important point to make here. This forum and most of us on it are a subset. We're the enthusiasts. That is not necessarily the majority of the buying market. Why would someone not buy a P365? Well, why can I find them in stock everywhere I look, a local store has them marked down to $450, and a local guy had to throw in extra magazines to sell his stock after the initial buyers? If it's such a leap forward in technology, why aren't they still all sold out? From LGSes I've talked to: price. A lot of the people that buy firearms, even carry pistols, aren't necessarily dedicated shooters. They see a $500 P365 and a $300 Shield and ask why spend more? Yes I know the P365 has night sights and a better trigger and better capacity, but again, my point is I think the people that care about those don't represent the majority of the market. As you yourself said:

Quote:
and I can carry 9 rounds plus a reload easily
For many people they're convinced that Shield or similar is "enough". Now for someone that shoots regularly, even a $200 price difference will disappear in ammo costs in not much time and as such those features are worth the premium. But that's not everyone (and I think the same argument can be applied to red dots on pistols where the optic can be a substantial percentage of the price of the firearm). As long as these high capacity options still remain a substantial price increase, percentage wise, over the competition I think we'll still see those other pistols making sales. Don't forget the market is soft right now and we're seeing record prices just to liquidate inventory. Higher cost is a harder sell than in years past.

Last edited by TunnelRat; May 22, 2019 at 10:52 PM.