The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 17, 2019, 03:25 AM   #1
simonrichter

Chassis for bolt action rifles

A friend of mine wants to upgrade his rimfire bolt action to more "tacticool" and turned to me as the firearms expert in residence. Yet, shame on me, I was not aware of the concept of what apparently is called a "chassis", meaning a tactical upgrade stock.

Any ideas if something lightweight, maybe more polymer than aluminium, might be available for a Savage 93g?
Old May 17, 2019, 07:03 AM   #2
precision_shooter

Finding a “tacticool” stock for a rim fire might be a challenge...
Choate Machine and Tool or maybe Magpul would likely be you’re best bet if you’re wanting polymer. Most true chassis are metal, usually aluminum, with some steel where it’s needed and quite expensive. I don’t know of any, off the top of my head, for rimfire rifles though.

Choate website:
https://www.riflestock.com/
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Last edited by precision_shooter; May 17, 2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old May 17, 2019, 07:20 AM   #3
Mobuck

Add on "tacti-cool" stocks often add bulk and weight that doesn't improve anything but does change the "look" of the rim fire.
For only a moderate increase in cost, "friend" can simply buy a Ruger Precision Rimfire. Then he can have a heavy, unwieldy, clumsy to shoot (other than from a bench) rim fire rifle w/o the hassle of finding, buying, and changing his stock.
Old May 17, 2019, 09:37 AM   #4
bedlamite

https://mdttac.com/us_en/lss-rimfire...is-system.html

https://shop.mcreesprecision.net/G10...I-E-MKII-E.htm
Old May 17, 2019, 09:41 AM   #5
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonrichter View Post
A friend of mine wants to upgrade his rimfire bolt action to more "tacticool" and turned to me as the firearms expert in residence. Yet, shame on me, I was not aware of the concept of what apparently is called a "chassis", meaning a tactical upgrade stock.

Any ideas if something lightweight, maybe more polymer than aluminium, might be available for a Savage 93g?

I don’t see the advantage he’s going to gain.

I just did a google search and there are a multitude available only limited by his wallet.

As a curiosity I did a Bullpup search and came up empty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old May 17, 2019, 03:01 PM   #6
jmr40

Buying the Ruger is the most efficient way to go. Maybe the only way to go. There are several options for chassis stocks on major center fire bolt guns. Not so much with rimfire.

Winston Churchill
Old May 18, 2019, 12:57 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

There's very little aftermarket stuff for any bolt action .22. If there was your buddy would be making a $100ish rifle into a $100ish rifle with an expensive stock. Wouldn't shoot any better. $750.00 for that McRees stock.
Like jmr40 says, a Ruger 10/22 is a different critter. Match grade rifles have been built out of 'em. Not inexpensively though. A Tapco Intrafuse Stock runs $100 from Brownell's. That stuff adds up in a hurry.
Old May 20, 2019, 08:19 AM   #8
Areoflyer09

The availability of options is limited by the rimfire action you have and your ability to google. The Savage will be more limited than a Ruger, but options exist. You will most likely pay more to upgrade the Savage than repacking it.

If you want the benefit of the chassis system you need to go aluminum. Polymer can be lighter, but the lighter options would be more likely to have flexing issues which defeats the purpose of the chassis. I didn’t find any true chassis options that were polymer. You could probably find a stock that looks like a chassis that is polymer which may be a better fit for it sound like you are asking for.

Chassis systems that can be set up for the Savage MkII action.

https://mdttac.com/us_en/lss-rimfire...is-system.html
https://www.rigidalloy.com/srf_chassis.aspx
http://www.accurateriflesystems.com/...-tactical-prs/
PDC Custom is supposed to have one in the works as well.