The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 21, 2016, 09:56 AM   #51
FITASC

Kinda hard to shoot doubles with a single shot

Skeet is the actual name of a particular shotgun game involving clay targets, a regulation field, etc. Backyard or "pasture" clays with a handthrower or small portable trap is something altogether different. That said, as long as folks are safe and have fun, have at it................
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 21, 2016, 07:57 PM   #52
jstert

Talk me into a .410....

i shoot 410 out of a bond arms 410/45lc derringer, savage m42 22wmr/410 o/u, h&r single and khan folding single. my b.a. is an edc, loaded with handgun specific defense ammo. the khan folder is a nifty trunk gun, unobtrusive in a gym bag, useful in handgun-unfriendly locales. ammo is light, weight is light, recoil is light (in a long gun). 410 is the 22lr of shotguns for protection: easy to shoot, bigger rounds are better stoppers, but nobody will volunteer to stand in front of either a 410 or 22.
Old March 22, 2016, 06:07 AM   #53
darkgael

I have been shooting an inexpensive .410 O/U for a couple of weeks now. Just a round at the Trap range after shooting a few with the BT-99.
I don't hit many.
One of the fellows mentioned that "we break'em all the time when we shoot upstate in the back." Aha! Backyard clays....I break'em all the time there too.
In the yard, with a hand thrower or a foot thrower, I am picking up the birds at about 10 to 15 yards. and they aren't moving very fast. On the Trap range, they start at 16 yards (at 40+mph) and are probably at 30 or more by the time I shoot.
It is helpful to see folk differentiating between the generic use of "skeet" and "Trap" and the real thing.
Pete
Old March 22, 2016, 06:34 AM   #54
FITASC

You're correct in that many do not understand that "trap" and "skeet" are the names of specific clay target games and not a generic name for shooting clay targets.

For newer folks, the Remington brochures do a good job of explaining the games and covering the basics:
https://support.remington.com/Genera...ntals_Handbook

https://support.remington.com/Genera...ntals_Handbook
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 23, 2016, 06:19 AM   #55
B.L.E.

It's not even unusual to hear people call clay birds "skeets". Especially people who don't shoot shotguns. Most pasture clay bird shooting = low house seven in skeet.
Not all card games are poker.
Not all small dogs are Chihuahuas.
Not all personal watercraft are JetSki's®.
And not all clay bird shooting is Skeet.

Last edited by B.L.E.; March 23, 2016 at 06:27 AM.
Closed Thread