The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 29, 2018, 04:56 PM   #1
Maui19

Target practice on public lands in SC

There are no outdoor ranges near me---well actually there is one but it is waaay more than I can afford. Anyway, I am trying to determine if it is legal fire my long guns on public lands here. I have done a bunch of searches, and I find references to target practice in some info published by the state, but there is nothing I can sink my teeth in. I would love to avoid having to call a state office to try to get this information, but that may be what I have to do. Unless you guys can point me in the right direction here.

Thanks for any info or thoughts you may have.
Old December 29, 2018, 06:37 PM   #2
lamarw

How about your local Sheriff's Office?
Old December 29, 2018, 08:02 PM   #3
jmr40

I'd contact the closest National Forest office.

Winston Churchill
Old December 29, 2018, 09:16 PM   #4
FITASC

WHAT public land? Call the folks who manage that land
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 29, 2018, 09:21 PM   #5
Mike38

The SC Department of Natural Resources / Fish & Game may also be able to answer your questions. I have a 1200 acre wildlife area near me owned and operated by the Illinois Dept of Natural Resources. I gave them a call about target practice on occasion. What the heck, all they can do is say no. You guessed it, they said no. But, in Iowa, their DNR has designated areas on some state owned land for target practice. And I think they are open year around except during hunting seasons. It's worth asking.
Old December 30, 2018, 08:33 AM   #6
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui19 View Post
There are no outdoor ranges near me---well actually there is one but it is waaay more than I can afford. Anyway, I am trying to determine if it is legal fire my long guns on public lands here. I have done a bunch of searches, and I find references to target practice in some info published by the state, but there is nothing I can sink my teeth in. I would love to avoid having to call a state office to try to get this information, but that may be what I have to do. Unless you guys can point me in the right direction here.

Thanks for any info or thoughts you may have.
Here in CO, legal to shoot on public lands(National Forest) but not 'Park' land..very few restrictions..100 feet from any road, against hill, pointed away from traffic..BUT contact the Forest Service, as has been mentioned.

https://www.fs.fed.us/

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 30, 2018, 09:18 AM   #7
old roper

We have mix of State and Federal land here in Co. Federal land here can be close to shooting

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/r...STELPRD3836311

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5402898.pdf

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/psicc...id=fsm9_032539
NRA Life Member
Old December 30, 2018, 10:05 AM   #8
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by old roper View Post
Do you know about the 'uncontrolled' shooting area above Lyons? The one in Lefthand was closed mostly because of all the yahoos who shot up there and left their garbage..like old TVs, car batterys(?), assorted junk..

Going to the one above Lyons in about an hour..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 30, 2018, 12:27 PM   #9
old roper

No, I don't know about the ones in Lyons. I lived Black Forest, there enough problems down here going up to Woodland Park. At some pt all front range public land be closed to shooting.
NRA Life Member
Old December 31, 2018, 07:07 AM   #10
USNRet93

Quote:
No, I don't know about the ones in Lyons. I lived Black Forest, there enough problems down here going up to Woodland Park. At some pt all front range public land be closed to shooting.
Why is that? This, Harris shooting Park and another one by Deckers are wide open and widely used..is there some sort of legislation pending?

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 31, 2018, 09:07 AM   #11
old roper

You might want to read this. Does have lanes bet that's real safe.

https://kdvr.com/2018/05/11/forest-s...t-harris-park/
NRA Life Member
Old December 31, 2018, 06:16 PM   #12
dakota.potts

Where in South Carolina are you? When I lived in Greenwood, we would drive to Laurens to shoot at the outdoor public (DNR) range. As I remember, there are also such ranges in Greenville, Spartanburg, and Columbia. I'm less familiar with Eastern South Carolina but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a public range close enough to you to make use of.
Old December 31, 2018, 06:23 PM   #13
Capt Rick Hiott

Im in Summerville,SC ,,,Where are you in the state?

Public range's scare me...…

There is two by me,,,one at Twin Ponds and the other at Boggy Head. Both are north of Charleston close to MtPleasant.

Also check with Palmetto State Armory,,,,they have one somewhere in the state.....
Old January 1, 2019, 07:40 AM   #14
USNRet93

Quote:
You might want to read this. Does have lanes bet that's real safe.

https://kdvr.com/2018/05/11/forest-s...t-harris-park/
That's too bad and why the one up Lefthand canyon was closed..because idiots shot up things like TV, computers and car batterys(?) and left that crap up there. They do have a dumpster at Harris but it's always packed full.

The 2 times I have been there, the people were very conscientious, very polite and altho no lanes..I saw nothing really scary or unsafe. BUT yup, a small percentage of 'range ninjas' will cause it to close.

If you'd like directions to one above Lyons, PM me..it's seldom crowded, would like to keep it that way.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 1, 2019, 08:43 PM   #15
KEYBEAR

In the state of Indiana we have a lot of shooting Ranges . I very nice DNR (state) Range is 12 miles from my home . At this range You have 25 yard-50 yard-100 yard and 200 yard all have good benches three at each yardage . Now the problem this range it in the middle of camp grounds a lot of campers . In the summer people dump the kids off and go back to the camp . The kids some 7/8 years old with guns most from the city . I built my own range years ago and will never go back to the state range .
Old January 2, 2019, 08:21 AM   #16
unclejack37

Try this web site. It covers gun ranges in each county in South Carolina.
http://dnr.sc.gov/shooting/bycounty.html
I have 83 acres in Oconee county, but if you know someone with at least 8 acres and the land is listed as agricultural ask them for permission.
Old January 2, 2019, 10:40 AM   #17
Old 454

Yes state ranges in Indiana are ok. But recently the stopped allowing you to pick up brass that other leave behind.

I go to Jasper Pulaski and to Winamac.
I know a few of the range matters at JP... they jokingly stated that no rifle brass makes it back to there recycling or what ever it is they do with it.