The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 14, 2017, 09:29 AM   #1
SonOfScubaDiver

Taurus Model 94!

Well, I went and bought another revolver! See, what had happened was......I went to the gun store to buy some wadcutters to get mah reloading on. While I there I heard a faint cry coming from the revolver case, so I had to investigate the situation. When I got there, there it was---a lonely Taurus Model 94, the blued version. It was so lonely that it was crying, so I picked it up, just to comfort it ya know. The next thing I knew, it was hugging me and telling me it loved me, and that it wanted me to adopt it. So I filled out the paperwork, got delayed by the *&^%$# guvmint, and was finally able to bring it home this mornin. Oh yeahya! I have adopted a nice lookin M94 for not a lot of moolah. Happy Ho Ho to me!
Old December 14, 2017, 09:55 AM   #2
SonOfScubaDiver

20171214_083127.jpg
Old December 14, 2017, 10:43 AM   #3
JERRYS.

the Taurus revolvers made in the early 90s before the hammer lock seemed to be of a different design, fit and finish than those of today. I mean that in a good way about the old ones.
Old December 14, 2017, 12:26 PM   #4
arcwarden

Thats a good looking taurus you got there. Have you tried it already?
Old December 14, 2017, 12:34 PM   #5
Ricklin

2 men and a boy....

That's what it takes to shoot it double action.

That said it's the nature of the beast according to my research. Small framed .22 equals heavy trigger pull.

The single action pull is reasonably good. Mine is quite accurate.

I really like mine, enjoy your little 9 shooter.
Old December 14, 2017, 05:59 PM   #6
SonOfScubaDiver

It definitely has a heavy trigger pull in DA. Still, I managed to figure out how to stage the trigger, so it probly won't be too much of an issue. I have to wait until Saturday to take it to the range and try it out. I'm just happy to finally have something other than my Ruger 10/22 that shoots 22.
Old December 14, 2017, 08:14 PM   #7
Ricklin

Snap caps

The little polyethylene plastic wall anchors make excellent .22 snap caps. They can be rotated in the chamber should the portion under the firing pin get chewed up.
About a million rounds of killing the bad guys on TV will smooth up that trigger and lighten the trigger pull.

Well either that or your trigger finger gets a lot stronger.....Either way is a win in my book.

I'm very happy with my 94. It is quite accurate. The trigger does get better with use. My research indicates that trying to change springs to lighten it up is an exercise in futility.

Can't remember the brand but there is a speed loader that works OK. Let me know if you can't easily find one and I will post up the brand and model number.
Old December 14, 2017, 08:49 PM   #8
SonOfScubaDiver

Ok. Thanks.
Old December 14, 2017, 08:56 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Wall anchors do nothing to protect your firing pin-it simply pierces them.
Get real snap caps.
Old December 15, 2017, 10:58 AM   #10
SonOfScubaDiver

So..I managed to find two spent casings that I used as makeshift snap caps. Basically, I wanted to see how much of an indentation the firing pin would make on them. The casings were originally shot out of my 10/22. The Taurus left deeper and more pronounced marks, so that's a good sign. I wish I would have more than just two though. I'm itchin to dry fire this thing and don't have any snap caps yet. I wish I would have thought of it while I was at the gun shop. Oh well, I'll have plenty of spent casings come Saturday.
Old December 15, 2017, 11:07 AM   #11
Ricklin

No they don't

I had seen before where folks claimed the wall anchors would be penetrated by the firing pin.
That has not been my experience. I have looked really close with high magnification after using them for a while.
I have also carefully inspected the edges of each chamber after many many thousands of dry fires.

Not even a hint of damage to either the anchors or the edges of the chambers.

The wall anchors are made from Polyethylene plastic. The rim is thick enough on the wall anchors to absorb the energy of the firing pin.

YMMV, as for me I shall continue the practice. I would recommend the wall anchors before I would recommend fired cases.
Old December 15, 2017, 11:31 AM   #12
SonOfScubaDiver

I don't have an opinion on the wall anchors. This is the first I've heard of anyone using them for dry fire. The spent cases will only be until I can buy some snap caps. Mah trigger fanger's been itchin' since I left the gun shop yesterday morning! lol
Old December 15, 2017, 11:49 AM   #13
Ricklin

You will like it

I've been very pleased with mine since I got the trigger smoothed up.

If you want to swap grips you may have a very difficult time getting the grip screw out.
On mine the factory used a little blue locktite, not a good thing on rubber grips. I ended up poking a hole through the side with the threaded insert to hold the insert still enough to get the screw to let go.
It was a pain in the backside.

I'd like to get some of the older wood grips for mine.
Old December 15, 2017, 12:52 PM   #14
Onward Allusion

Congrats on you purchase. I have a 94. It's cheap to feed and will shoot pretty much anything in 22LR. I love the fact that it's 9 shots. Almost as good as a S&W 617 for half the cost. The only problem I've run into is that the cylinder binds a little after it gets really hot - like after shooting close to a brick. Loading is easy peasy with pre-loaded speedloaders. Definitely a fun gun.
Old December 15, 2017, 02:42 PM   #15
Bill DeShivs

I didn't say anything about the chamber. I said wall anchors don't protect your firing pin.
Spent cases work well, as long as they are turned to a new spot each time.
Old December 15, 2017, 11:29 PM   #16
tallball

I sold mine because the DA trigger was so bad. I own and have owned some nice Taurus revolvers, but my Model 94 was not one of them. I am happy that the OP got a nice one.

And I very much agree with what one of the other posters said. They made some very nice revolvers in the late 80's and early 90's. I am happy to own several.
Old December 16, 2017, 02:01 PM   #17
Rockhanger

I hope you have better luck with yours than I did with mine.
After about 70 rnds. the transfer bar broke. I sent it back to Taurus about 3 weeks ago. I haven't got it back yet, probably be another month.
My 2nd Taurus and most likely my last
Old December 16, 2017, 03:52 PM   #18
ThomasT

I had one in 22 mag. Shot OK but the cases would stick like crazy even after a fluff and buff on the cylinder walls. I sold it.

Another Taurus 22 I had I truly wish I hadn't sold. It was a model 96 IIRC. It was a 6 shot K-Frame size very similar to a K22. But like a dumb butt I found something and traded it off.

Like this one. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/727220137
Old December 16, 2017, 04:48 PM   #19
Glenn E. Meyer

Many years ago, mine froze its cylinder. I sent it back to get it fixed but then the adjustable sight didn't say adjusted and just flopped around. I ditched it.

Taurus is very spotty.
Old December 16, 2017, 11:05 PM   #20
SonOfScubaDiver

I shot just over 100 rounds with it today without a hitch. It's an accurate shooter for sure. I think I got a good one, but only time will tell.
Old December 17, 2017, 12:22 PM   #21
Onward Allusion

That´s excellent! I have a number of Taurus revolvers and never had any major problems with any of them. Maybe just lucky.
Old December 19, 2017, 08:24 PM   #22
otasan

Cute story in the OP.
Old December 20, 2017, 05:52 PM   #23
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin
2 men and a boy....
That's what it takes to shoot it double action.

That said it's the nature of the beast according to my research. Small framed .22 equals heavy trigger pull.

The single action pull is reasonably good. Mine is quite accurate.
I have one and mine was the same -- two LARGE, BRAWNY men and a pretty husky boy.

The good news is that Wolff Gunsprings has a kit for the small frame Taurus revolvers. It's not listed for the model 94 on their web site, but it the Model 94 is included in the listing in my older, paper catalog. I put the kit in mine and the result brought the trigger pull down from "Are you ****ing kidding me?" to ... tolerable. I will say, though, that mine looks beautiful.