The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2021, 07:34 PM   #1
KentM

RCBS Pocket Swager Problems

Trying to swage the pockets of some military 5.56 casings - some LC, FC and asstd mixed.

My Ballistic Tools Swage Gauge fits easily after swaging, but the primers won't sit until I hand chamfer the hole, no matter how much I adjust the swager. My Lee press primer works fine with civilian .223 casings.

It appears the swager head is widening the hole enough for the swage gauge, but it isn't entering the hole fully enough to create a chamfered edge?

I adjusted the swager according to instructions, then began lowering the die a quarter turn at a time, untilI noticed the press handle was no longer bottoming out. Obviously making contact.

So then I began raising the internal swager rod, figuring it was keeping the swage head from fully entering. Back and forth with these adjustments to no avail. If I have to chamfer each casing anyway, then why do I need the swager? Any suggestions, preferably not involving buying a different swager?
Old March 24, 2021, 08:27 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

RCBS swager worked fine for me. I did not use a gauge. once I set the pin height, I just lowered the die until I could seat a primer without any issues. The gauge is a good thing, but what matters is that the primers fit.

I would just start lowering the die, maybe 1/8 turns until you can seat a primer without any snags... worked for me....

Cool tool but it was a bit time intensive. I generally end up working through larger batches of brass, so using the cutter tool on my case prep station ended up being a lot faster for me.
Old March 26, 2021, 11:42 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Never could get my RCBS primer pocket swager to work worth a damn. Getting the punch in deep enough to swage out the crimp meant the press was locked up super tight (possibly springing) and getting the cases off meant slamming them on the down stroke or running all the way down then striking the press handle up to "pop" them loose. Never liked that, not one bit.

Then I figured out that sticking the nose of the chamfering tool into the primer pocket and a couple of twists took out the GI crimp just fine. Yes, it will cramp your hand if you are doing hundreds at a time, so, don't. Work in batches, take a break in between. You only need to do it once for each case, and once done, my primers seat just fine with a hand tool.
Old March 27, 2021, 11:59 PM   #4
edfardos

same here, i kiss it with a dechampher tool after the swage. extra step, works just fine. both are needed with LC brass imho
Old March 28, 2021, 06:39 PM   #5
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentM View Post
Trying to swage the pockets of some military 5.56 casings - some LC, FC and asstd mixed.

My Ballistic Tools Swage Gauge fits easily after swaging, but the primers won't sit until I hand chamfer the hole, no matter how much I adjust the swager. My Lee press primer works fine with civilian .223 casings.

It appears the swager head is widening the hole enough for the swage gauge, but it isn't entering the hole fully enough to create a chamfered edge?

I adjusted the swager according to instructions, then began lowering the die a quarter turn at a time, untilI noticed the press handle was no longer bottoming out. Obviously making contact.

So then I began raising the internal swager rod, figuring it was keeping the swage head from fully entering. Back and forth with these adjustments to no avail. If I have to chamfer each casing anyway, then why do I need the swager? Any suggestions, preferably not involving buying a different swager?
My RCBS primer pocket Swager does not do an adequate job for me on 5.56 crimped brass either. I have to chamfer the the crimped area also.
Old March 28, 2021, 08:26 PM   #6
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Never could get my RCBS primer pocket swager to work worth a damn. Getting the punch in deep enough to swage out the crimp meant the press was locked up super tight (possibly springing) and getting the cases off meant slamming them on the down stroke or running all the way down then striking the press handle up to "pop" them loose. Never liked that, not one bit.

Then I figured out that sticking the nose of the chamfering tool into the primer pocket and a couple of twists took out the GI crimp just fine. Yes, it will cramp your hand if you are doing hundreds at a time, so, don't. Work in batches, take a break in between. You only need to do it once for each case, and once done, my primers seat just fine with a hand tool.
I had the same problems with my swager set. I ended up buying a military crimp remover from RCBS and chucked it in my drill press. Much faster, easier and does a better job.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 28, 2021, 10:33 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilotanker22 View Post
I had the same problems with my swager set. I ended up buying a military crimp remover from RCBS and chucked it in my drill press. Much faster, easier and does a better job.
No problems with mine primers all seated fine. mixed brass, but there was a fair bit of LC in it. Just adjusted it until primers seated. They did seem to stick pretty bad coming off, which is why I put a dab of sizing lube on the swager every few rounds. Still had to bang the press a couple times to get them off though. Not an easy process....

Right now I am waiting for the swager kit to come in stock for my lee APP press. Heard good things and its wicked fast for processing brass....

Last edited by Shadow9mm; March 28, 2021 at 10:39 PM.
Old March 29, 2021, 05:28 AM   #8
jetinteriorguy

I polished the swaging rod with some jewelers rouge followed by Flitz using a Dremel and fiber pad. I also ground the part that sits on the ram so it’s slightly slanted on the bottom, this way it contacts the case a little off kilter. These two mods made the cases pop loose with about half the effort it took before. But I wound up getting a bench mounted unit for Christmas and it’s still so much better and easier I’ve retired the press mounted version.
Old March 29, 2021, 08:01 AM   #9
edfardos

it needs case lube every 6 rounds or so... i use a qtip with rcbslube fwiw
Old March 29, 2021, 10:08 AM   #10
ballardw

Am I hearing a "wimp factor" here?
My dad had me swaging primer pockets with an RCBS A2 press when I was 8 years old. He never complained about difficulty setting primers in the result. I may have been too enthusiastic and didn't know better but bringing the ram up hard enough to "unstick" cases wasn't an issue, just expected oomph used.
Old March 29, 2021, 03:24 PM   #11
kilotanker22

For me it was more about the time and effort saved.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 29, 2021, 06:15 PM   #12
gwpercle

My experience with swaging the pockets is exactly like yours ... there seems to be a slight amount of "spring back" or something that goes on and it doesn't matter what make the tool is .
I just started doing a three step process

1.) Swage
2.) Hand ream with cutting tool reamer
3.) Use a Primer Pocket Uniformer

When you're done ... they are done forever and the primers all fit !
Gary
Old March 30, 2021, 01:15 AM   #13
rc

There is a primer pocket cutter that in my opinion works quicker but the cases may not last as long. You can swage and chamfer too.
Old March 30, 2021, 07:03 AM   #14
Woody'sDad

For large numbers of crimped primer holes- like 500+- get a Dillon- fast and effective.
I first used the RCBS and after so - so results and bending about 3 rods I spent the money, bought the Dillon and now when I need to do a large batch it is fast and smooth.
Probably only need to "shave" 1 or 2 per batch with the chamfer tool.
YMMV

Gary
Old March 31, 2021, 07:34 PM   #15
KentM

(OP)
After reading the many responses above, I realized that I had only been swaging one head stamp - "Frontier 5.56mm". So I dug around and found some LC mil brass, swaged it, and it primed fine. Probably different types of crimping. So now I'm going to keep track of which mil head stamps swage easily and which don't.