The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 4, 2021, 06:39 PM   #1
9mmsnoopy

Should i sell some ammo?

If you had a stockpile of enough ammo to last you three lifetimes would you be willing to sell some of it now at these ridiculous prices that ammo is fetching? $40 bucks for a freaking box of Tula 9mm, you have got to be kidding! My only consideration on not selling some is that it looks like it might be impossible to acquire more in the future and sadly i feel like someday things are really going to go sideways and a stockpile of ammo would be a good thing to have.
Bushmaster AR15
Old February 4, 2021, 08:49 PM   #2
STORM2

A lifetime supply for some folks is a carton of 500, others would define it as needing a forklift rented for the day and a 52 ft trailer. If I had a truckload, I would sell some. Anything under 50,000 rounds, I would keep.
Old February 4, 2021, 10:22 PM   #3
ocharry

Simple

NO
Old February 4, 2021, 10:53 PM   #4
5whiskey

Right now I would hold enough to feed my shooting habit for at least 3 years. Any excess over that I would sell, put the funds in savings, and use that to replenish as things normalize. That arbitrary 3 year number comes from me believing it will take a full 2 years for ammo supplies to largely be at least close to normal, and the 1 year extra is for an emergency poop hits the fan scenario OP talks about. In true long term survival situations I hope to not be shooting firearms much at all. If things are that dire, the report will draw a lot of attention. Hunting with bow/arrow will rule the day at that point. Firearm for SD only. Those types of survival situations are usually fanciful thoughts anyway. Yes it could happen, but the chance at this point is 1 in a million.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old February 4, 2021, 11:06 PM   #5
rc

With the democrat proposals that include extremely high taxes on guns and ammo, I would make a decision if you intend to shoot much the rest of your life? If the answer is no, sell away. If the answer is yes, why risk running out? It may be cheaper in a few years..... but only if you can find it for sale!
Old February 4, 2021, 11:46 PM   #6
MarkCO

I have sold off a lot of ammo, components, presses and even guns that have stacked up and I really don't want. But, I am changing those for (gun related) things I do want. I hardly ever shoot factory ammo anyway. But the stuff I actually shoot and use, nope, not going to liquidate that to have to buy later at a possibly higher price.
Old February 4, 2021, 11:53 PM   #7
kenny53

A stock pile of ammo is a good thing. 3 life times is a arbitrary number. If you sell it you can't replace it (right now). If things get real stupid you can use it to barter or sell and there is the self defense thing. My problem is if I had any ammo and I were to sell it I could not or would not charge $40 for commie 9 mm ammo or $90 for a brick of 22. It's just not right. So I don't sell and I don't have any ammo.
Old February 5, 2021, 08:34 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Should i sell some ammo?
If you had a stockpile of enough ammo to last you three lifetimes would you be willing to sell some of it now at these ridiculous prices that ammo is fetching?
Not sure of your pronoun use, but if you want to sell ammo, sell ammo.
Old February 5, 2021, 11:42 AM   #9
Rockrivr1

I'm not against the thought of selling, but I'd hold off a bit. Wait until Biden proposes his ammo/gun grab legislation. If you think prices are high now, hold onto your beer for when that happens. Then you can sell if you want too.
Old February 5, 2021, 12:43 PM   #10
reinert

No, don't sell. And, how old are you?
Old February 5, 2021, 04:18 PM   #11
rc

I disagree that one who sells off ammo today should not ask the going rate for ammo. You can certainly be a sucker and someone else will give you a sob story and then turn around and flip the ammo and pocket the difference. I don't think there is a moral dilemma selling ammo for $90 a brick if that's what someone would charge you today to replace it. If you want to do a family or close friend a favor and sell it for what you got in it that's different. We really have no idea what "new normal" will be when this panic is over. We may see the largest tax increase on ammo in history with the current admin and increased regulation on the 2A so what if you sell 500 rounds of 22 for $40 today and then need some in two years and have to pay $100 for the same product? You are going to be crying about it for years to come.
Old February 5, 2021, 04:57 PM   #12
hub1home

NO!
Old February 5, 2021, 06:40 PM   #13
Ignition Override

Seriously? Approx. three lifetimes’ worth?

If most of the ammo could bring in about $4000.....quite frankly, Yes---Sell 2/3rds of it...... Not kidding one bit.

That fraction might help pay for what --Then-- would be my next gun. Check the true seasoned gun evaluators on Youtube if you doubt their quality.
"Sig 551 A1, The Swiss AK-47". Or read comments by "encyclodediac-knowledge" "Mishaco".

Last edited by Ignition Override; February 5, 2021 at 07:44 PM.
Old February 5, 2021, 11:49 PM   #14
jmhyer

I'd only sell if I needed the money. Otherwise I'd hold on to it. I have long said that ammo may well be suitable for trade/barter in the future. And what I don't use in my lifetime, will pass to my kids for their future use.
Old February 5, 2021, 11:53 PM   #15
JohnKSa
Staff

If I really had enough for 3 lifetimes, I would certainly be willing to sell 2/3 of it at the current prices.

I would also sell the warehouse(s) where I was storing it.

Then I would retire with the money.
Old February 6, 2021, 03:31 AM   #16
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Not sure I have enough for 3 lifetimes, but I have plenty for my lifetime and will not sell, not now.

Maybe when I'm so old I can't enjoy shooting I would sell some, but most likely will leave it for my kids & grand kids to enjoy.

I lived through a period (many years ago) when there was no ammo & my inventory was not adequate. That will not happen to me again!

I'm well stocked with ammo & components to enjoy all my favorite shooting sports for many many years.

I keep it properly stored, it will last a very long time & always be worth more than I paid for it.
Old February 6, 2021, 08:22 AM   #17
DaleA

I got a report in from the Scheels in Fargo ND that said the shelves where they normally stock all the different handgun ammo had been completely cleared and restocked with 250 round packs of Remington 115 grain 9mm.

He said it was a sight to behold all that green boxed ammo completely filling the shelves.

It was a bit under $90 per box and he observed a curious phenomenom, folks looking at all that ammo saying, "You know what? I guess I don't need any." and walking away without buying.

He (my friend the marketing genius ) said Scheels would have done better by bumping the price to $150 for the 250 round boxes and only putting out a hundred boxes or so at a time so only a fraction of their shelf space would be filled.
Old February 6, 2021, 08:54 AM   #18
buddyd157

NOOOOO....!!!!!!!!!

never sell off what you have...!

hoard it...hoard it man....!!!!!!!

the day will come, when the zombies will be crashing thru your doors, windows, roof, and you ain't gonna have ANY ammo in easy to reach (to you not them), cuz you sold it off.....

think about yourself, your family, your dang dog or cat, or the goldfish..!!!!!!

fight the zombies, man, fight the zombies, and hold onto your ammo...!!!!!
Old February 6, 2021, 12:48 PM   #19
Pahoo

NO, No and No!!

Quote:
If you had a stockpile of enough ammo to last you three lifetimes would you be willing to sell some of it now
Unless you just got pink-slip from the KeyStone Pipe line project, Abosotively "Not"

Man, are you going to get some PM's, on this thread !!

Be Safe !!!
Old February 7, 2021, 12:46 AM   #20
Kreyzhorse

Selling ammo seems like a terrible idea right now, no matter what you have. Draw your own conclusions from there.
Old February 7, 2021, 02:41 AM   #21
Ignition Override

DaleA:

Despite storing 7.62x39 in 2018-19, it would be good to replace some of it by next summer.

The bulk price has come down on Tula and Wolf since Nov/Dec.

It was $620 for 1,000 rds. of fmj Tula, at either AiMsurplus or JGSales.
Now down to $499 for 1,000 of Wolf.

On Ammoseek, Several distributors have it in bulk at a similar price/ round.
This really surprised me.
Possibly people are fed up with the previous, recent prices, Then adding Sales Tax plus shipping?

Whenever we begin to see a fairly similar decrease for either Russian .223 or basic, 9x19 mm “range ammo”, it could produce the first nervousness among the serial retail ammo flippers.

If I had two lifetimes of ammo, instead of my depicted, mega-pricey Sig 551, it would be smarter to buy a (Second) Czechpoint VZ-58 now, for $1,800, or an SAR-3 (or Norinco) in .223.

Last edited by Ignition Override; February 7, 2021 at 02:47 AM.
Old February 7, 2021, 06:55 PM   #22
Shadow9mm

first of all, you have to define a lifetime supply....

For me, that's a lot of 9mm
100rnds every other week
216.6rnds a month (because weeks vs months)
2600rnds per year

If I live and get to keep shooting until I am 70

that is 91,000rnds, 3 lifetimes supply would be 273,000 rounds....

That not including my wife who only shoots a couple time per year, and my kids who are getting older and wanting to go shooting more frequently....

That also does not include a few hundred rounds to break in and familiarize with a new firearm. I know most new guns don't NEED it. But for my own sake I like to fire 200 rounds through every new go to make sure it is functioning properly, and I am familiar with the gun and its operation.

In short I need every round I can get my hands on right now. It have a LOT of stacking it deep to do to get to 91,000rnds....

Last edited by Shadow9mm; February 7, 2021 at 07:10 PM.
Old February 7, 2021, 10:54 PM   #23
kenny53

"If I live and get to keep shooting until I am 70"

You mean I only have two years left of shooting. My heart is breaking.
Old February 8, 2021, 02:23 AM   #24
Philellis2710

I have a lot of ammo and I do a lot of shooting at the range. I never really intended to accumulate it for any serious stock-piling reasons, but I always picked up several boxes everytime I went into my local gun stores to visit with my friends. If I went through the gun department at a big box, I would pick up a couple of boxes of some new brand I had never shot.

Wow, it really can build up fast. I like guns and I like ammo. So, buying it was fun for me. I have cut my range visits down to once a week, and I no longer just blast away like I once did. But I keep buying. Last week, I bought 8 boxes of 45 Long Colt and when I got home, I remembered that I no longer have a gun that shoots it!

I have been helping friends who have been red-pilled and decided to buy guns. They appreciate the help. They are new and are accustomed to getting what they want when they want it. They are learning that the liberal notion that assault weapons and cannon balls don't just fall out of trees. Shooting and guns, in these times, are not easy. But, they are friends andI love them.....so I help them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old February 8, 2021, 09:50 AM   #25
Carl the Floor Walker

Sort of like the stock market. Right now the product in in huge demand. As you say Tula 9mm went from $6.00 a box of 50 to around $40.00 - $50.00. and that was just in one year. Not to mention very scarce. Now what will be the price in one more year? Two more or 4 more years? You could sell now but the price is going to go up considerably. However eventually the Product will be Illegal to own. So you could loose everything. Unless of course you sell it on the street like any other illegal contraband.
Now consider what the US will look like at the end of 4 years. It is going to be a total mess, and you might wish you never sold a single round of ammo.