The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2017, 11:15 AM   #26
g.willikers

And make sure there's no residue dampness in the cases.
Could ruin a reloading session.
Old July 17, 2017, 11:17 AM   #27
F. Guffey

Quote:
Borgli wrote:
Hi. Quick question, are these cases damaged from heat? I tried drying them in the oven at 185f for 30min.
One more time, I do not know why the OP,s cases required drying, cleaning cases in vinegar on the Internet was not a popular ideal in the big inning. Before vinegar I use some stuff that would eat your shoes off in a hurry if not careful and when starting the process I did not have time to answer the phone or door. And when cleaning cast iron the tank looked like the making of a Frankenstein movie.

And then? There is always an 'and then' moment'. Reloaders started using lime shine, lemon juice etc., Leaving the residue on the case is up to the reloader. When I use an acid I choose to rinse it off.

F. Guffey
Old July 17, 2017, 03:42 PM   #28
hdwhit

Quote:
F. Guffey wrote:
One more time, I do not know why the OP,s cases required drying,...
Perhaps because they were wet.

It may not be required that the OP clean cases with acids or detergents or that he tumble them in a wet media, but for whatever reason he did choose to get the cases wet. And once wet, they needed to be dried out.
Old July 17, 2017, 03:55 PM   #29
Metal god

Quote:
One more time, I do not know why the OP,s cases required drying,...
P
Quote:
That right there is funnier then all get out and a perfect example why goofy should crawl back under that rock from which he came .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; July 17, 2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old July 17, 2017, 04:07 PM   #30
F. Guffey

Quote:

That right there if funnier then all get out and a perfect example why goofy should crawl back under that rock from which he came .
Again, it would help to know what liquid and of fluid was used to get them wet. I believe drying cases in the oven is a bad habit and I do not want to leave a residue on the case after drying.

Cleaning cases with an acid is not new, leaving a residue on the case after rinsing is a bad habit. In the old days before Internet reloading cases were cleaned in acid, rinsed in boiling water (twice) and then stored, no one on this forum as ever seen one of the cases; with one exception.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; July 17, 2017 at 04:08 PM. Reason: change w to t
Old July 17, 2017, 06:50 PM   #31
mehavey

Where were we ... ?
Oh yeah,
Quote:
"...drying them in the oven at 185F for 30min...Are these cases ruined?"
ANSWER: No. They are fine.
That is all...
Old July 17, 2017, 08:33 PM   #32
higgite

When are we going to get around to the virtues of feeler gauges and transfers for drying wet brass?.
Old July 18, 2017, 06:31 AM   #33
briandg

A far simpler method of case drying would be to add two pounds of hygroscopic silica to the tumbler, Crystal cat litter would work very well. Close it up, turn it on, let it run for a while. Sift out all of the beads, shake out any sand or silica dust and scrutinise each case for residual dust so you won't be firing powdered rock down the barrel.

I will guarantee that every case will be bone dry, without any trace of staining related to heat, and there will be absolutely no risk of heat damage.

Wow, I don't think that I'm going to recommend this. It sounds really stupid.
Old July 18, 2017, 10:16 AM   #34
F. Guffey

Quote:
A far simpler method of case drying would be to add two pounds of hygroscopic silica to the tumbler,
briandg, for the worst of cases, and then I have to assume he has a tumbler and then? Is he wet tumbling? Without a tumbler I can clean cases in vinegar for 15 minutes then rinse and then start sizing. Problem, it is a bad habit to clean cases in vinegar, size and then load and go for long time storage.

F. Guffey
Old July 18, 2017, 01:35 PM   #35
BBarn

+1 to:

Quote:
ANSWER: No. They are fine.
Old July 19, 2017, 09:53 AM   #36
mikld

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBarn View Post
+1 to:
I agree...
Old July 19, 2017, 10:05 AM   #37
hdwhit

Quote:
F. Guffey wrote:
...no one on this forum as ever seen one of the cases; with one exception.
I think you're being terribly presumptive there.

Some of us have been loading for decades and long before the internet Hornady Handbook #4 was recommending the use of vinegar to clean and shine brass cases. So, not only have many people not only seen cases cleaned with a weak acid solution and rinsed multiple times in hot/boiling water, but some of us are still shooting cases processed in that way and loaded in bulk in the late 1970's and early 1980's.
Old July 20, 2017, 11:09 AM   #38
F. Guffey

Quote:
I think you're being terribly presumptive there.

Some of us have been loading for decades and long before the internet Hornady Handbook #4 was recommending the use of vinegar to clean and shine brass cases. So, not only have many people not only seen cases cleaned with a weak acid solution and rinsed multiple times in hot/boiling water, but some of us are still shooting cases processed in that way and loaded in bulk in the late 1970's and early 1980's.
presumptive? Thank you, I do not get many of those, I have been accused of building booby traps, I have never taken the time to deny the practice because, in my opinion, boobys are too easy to catch.

One day someone will find some cases that have not been seen in 60+ years, once found they will jump on the internet reloading forums and declare they have rediscovered something and include the term "what were they thinking of".

Back to the worst of cases, again, I use vinegar for the worst of cases to save time when tumbling. There was that time I came home with a 5 gallon bucket of 30/06 once fired cases. Problem; there was a 30 caliber dirt dobber in each one of them. I waited for them to hatch, when my wife opened the barrage door she claimed it looked like a black sinister cloud leaving through the open door. For me? Not a problem, the black dirt dobber 'almost always' includes black widow spider in the 30 caliber case for its young.

A few days ago I got bit by something three times or I was bitten by three different spiders about the time I decided I needed to see a doctor I got over it.

F. Guffey

And my wife hollered: "There is a spider!!!" And then? I had to ask: "WHERE!" It was crawling down my back and then? I had to ask inside of my shirt or outside of my shirt? I took off my shirt and then ask: "Where is it now?". I stored slabs of pecan in a barn to dry, while carrying them out of the barn my friend on the other end of the blab hollered "SNAKE!!" and I had to ask "What kind?", I knew where it was because it was looking into my left ear hole. I decided it was one of those snakes he needed in his barn.

Rattle snake hunting was different.

Last edited by F. Guffey; July 20, 2017 at 04:17 PM. Reason: change a bunch of 'o's to i's after that there was practice
Old July 20, 2017, 03:28 PM   #39
Lucas McCain

Is this thread for real. It sounds like a metallurgical discussion from the Bill Nye show.
Old July 20, 2017, 03:29 PM   #40
mkl

Quote:
Hi. Quick question, are these cases damaged from heat? I tried drying them in the oven at 185f for 30min.
Answer: No.

One of the more entertaining threads. Just to add to the confusion, I'll add this:

Wait until your wife is out of the house. Place your wet brass in one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Mesh-...sh+laundry+bag

Pitch the bag (they come in all sizes, so get the one appropriate to the amount of brass you need to dry) and put into your clothes dryer with a couple of damp face towels.

Set dryer on "high."

Close all doors between you and clothes dryer to keep noise slightly below living next to an airport.

Run dryer until face towels are dry. Your brass will be also.

Remove quickly to make sure wife does not find any evidence in dryer!

Last edited by mkl; July 20, 2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old July 20, 2017, 06:49 PM   #41
crankyoldlady

Why is everyone in such a rush?

I wash my brass in soapy (Dawn) water. Rinse a time or three. Toss into a strainer. Shake. Shake again. Set in a sunny spot for a day or two. Done.
Old July 20, 2017, 07:19 PM   #42
Metal god

Sometimes that's the only brass you have clean and you plan to shoot tomorrow morning . It happens you know , you think you have brass ready to go or even ammo for the next day only to realize you shot up your ammo and had not cleaned any in awhile .

That happen to me last year . Thought i had plenty of ammo to shoot the next morning . How ever when i went to get everything ready i only had 40rds of a cartridge I'd likely need 2 or 3 hundred . That was the night I realized I only like reloading when i want to reload . It really sucked because it was to late to buy from the store so I had to spend 2hrs that night reloading when i really did not feel like it . I dry tumbled that night .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 20, 2017, 07:40 PM   #43
Stats Shooter

Quote:

That happen to me last year . Thought i had plenty of ammo to shoot the next morning . How ever when i went to get everything ready i only had 40rds of a cartridge I'd likely need 2 or 3 hundred . That was the night I realized I only like reloading when i want to reload . It really sucked because it was to late to buy from the store so I had to spend 2hrs that night reloading when i really did not feel like it . I dry tumbled that night .
That happened to me this year. I had to decap, tumble, dry, body size, neck size, anneal, prime, and load 80 .300wm rounds for a 1k yard match the next morning. Couldn't do it the week before because I was out of town at an unexpected funeral. It happens.
Old July 20, 2017, 08:34 PM   #44
F. Guffey

Quote:
Sometimes that's the only brass you have clean and you plan to shoot tomorrow morning . It happens you know
I suggest you shooters back away from the key board and start putting some cases away, I do not get desperate until we start talking about 1,000 cases.

I have the #45 tumble meaning the capacity is 1,000 30/06 cases or 45 pounds, which ever comes first; meaning I tumble cases before loading.

F. Guffey
Old July 21, 2017, 11:22 AM   #45
mikld

If I needed some brass tomorrow, I'd just wipe my cases with a solvent dampened rag and reload as usual. I did this for 12 years before I got a tumbler (I didn't need to impress anyone with shiny brass at the range). I knew a few reloaders that didn't fall for the "shiny brass shoots better" BS and just like them I let my target do my talkin', (but for me shooting is a solo sport so I didn't ave anyone to justify my reloads to). And no, I didn't ruin any dies or scratch any chambers and yes, I could spot any defects in the cases...
Old July 21, 2017, 02:12 PM   #46
Metal god

Quote:
If I needed some brass tomorrow, I'd just wipe my cases with a solvent dampened rag and reload as usual.
I've done that too , Not very often buts you got to do what's you gots to do sometimes

Old July 22, 2017, 10:41 AM   #47
mikld

Because I have much more time for reloading than I have for shooting, I usually have a couple hundred or so prepped and ready to charge/seat on hand for the calibers I reload. Most of the time out of boredom, or just wanting to do something "reloading" I'll prep some brass; clean, size, trim rifle brass and prime, then store in plastic "tupperware".Just the ther day I did 200, 9mm cases and they are waiting for a spot in my ammo can...
Old July 22, 2017, 12:45 PM   #48
briandg

No, your brass is not ruined.