The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 10, 2017, 01:00 PM   #1
pgb205

Opinion on these two--my first two AK choices

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/181682
RAS AK-47. Pluses are that it's standard AK. Posting on the internet suggests to
stay away from US manfuctured rifles.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/120926
Non-chromed barrel, non-standard AK, heavy for a pistol.
But good quality and low price. People say these are a lot of fun to shoot.
Old July 10, 2017, 02:34 PM   #2
44caliberkid

I have a Century Zastava PAP rifle, black synthetic stock and forend. Shoots great. I've torture tested it by loading all my AK Mags with RAS 7.62x39, then rapid firing them all as quick as I could. Not a single malfunction. It works with Romanian drum magazines too. I replaced the butstock with an Ace minimalist stock and put a meaner looking muzzle device on it. Also have a Midwest Industries scope mount that is the bomb. Probably the best AK scope mount out there. But I also want an RAS with wood. Waiting for more reviews.
Old July 10, 2017, 07:00 PM   #3
MC 1911

I wouldn't take the RAS for free. Yes I do have experience dealing with them. Do some research on line!! The M92 is a good little gun I turned mine into an SBR which makes it better. That said it is heavy for a pistol & is basically a range toy in that configuration.

Look for a WASR . NPAP or OPAP. & you will be happy!
Old July 10, 2017, 07:22 PM   #4
TXAZ

If you want a real AK that will hold value better than others, save your $'s for a Norinco or Polytec.

.50 BMG: 1 Shot 1 THRILL!
Old July 11, 2017, 08:00 AM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
If you want a real AK that will hold value better than others, save your $'s for a Norinco or Polytec.
But if you want one to use, just get a WASR. Or pony up a little more money and get an Arsenal or VEPR (while you can get them).

Polytechs are basically investments at this point, and using them will just reduce the value. MAK 90s are great rifles if you can find one, but their prices are creeping up as well.

As others have said, avoid the US-made AKs (RAS-47s, IO garbage, etc.). They are no substitute for the much higher-quality imported rifles.
Old July 15, 2017, 04:12 PM   #6
HALL,AUSTIN

Arsenal and old polytech AKs are at an entirely different price point. I've used a buddies RAS and liked it a lot. I had a wasr as a nightstand gun for a while and it was a decent gun aswell.
Old July 16, 2017, 10:33 AM   #7
highpower3006

I would buy A WASR before any other lower priced AK. If I was looking to pay a little more, I would look at a Arsenal 107FM, VEPR. Don't forget to check out the WBP (Polish AK) from Atlantic Firearms.

Now, I always buy used and in that market, in addition to what I mentioned above, I would look for a Saiga, OPAP or MAK90.
Old July 16, 2017, 11:09 AM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
Now, I always buy used and in that market, in addition to what I mentioned above, I would look for a Saiga, OPAP or MAK90.
Wise choices. But finding those rifles at a reasonable price point (with the exception of the OPAP) is definitely getting more and more difficult.

I personally am a big fan of Saiga rifles.

And you can save a little money if you don't need the traditional AK look (honestly, the Saiga handguard works as well or better than the AK handguards on a semi-auto rifle). Basic Saiga pistol grip conversions are still out there for decent prices if you look very hard.
Old July 17, 2017, 09:18 AM   #9
HistoryJunky

I'd go with an N-PAP. I have had one for a couple years now and maybe 1000 rounds later no issues. Pretty accurate too.

Century was just running a deal where you could get one for about 430 after MIR.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old July 17, 2017, 10:49 AM   #10
brian33x51

read through the hendersen defense thread on ak47's to get some idea of what to avoid (that maybe includes the n-pap?).

This page has some highlights and links to the actualy forum thread:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...t-breaks-down/

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I owned 3 saigas at one point when they were seriously cheap. I still have 2 of them (sold the shotgun to a buddy) and converted the other 2.

Last edited by brian33x51; July 18, 2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old July 17, 2017, 04:10 PM   #11
HistoryJunky

I didn't read the full thread, just what you linked. It didn't seem to tell at what round count the receivers failed. Just the different degrees.

I don't think an average person would shoot one enough to make the receiver fail.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old July 17, 2017, 04:10 PM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
I'd go with an N-PAP. I have had one for a couple years now and maybe 1000 rounds later no issues. Pretty accurate too.
Be wary that some NPAPs have been observed with soft receivers, cracking of receivers, and other issues (see Rob Ski's well-done reviews).

This does not appear to be an issue with the more robust OPAPs.
Old July 18, 2017, 12:00 AM   #13
Ignition Override

Fishbed77:

Despite the probability that most Saiga conversions were done correctly, it would be interesting to know which fraction have operating issues. There are quite a number available on Armslist.

To be very clear, I am Not in the market.
My .223 Saiga remains all-original (literally), because I paid a high post-ban price, and have none of the experience required for the work. And it's 100% reliable.
Old July 18, 2017, 02:42 PM   #14
Bennett

I have 2 Saigas, {converted}very happy with them, I think you would be also
Old July 18, 2017, 07:47 PM   #15
pturner67

I have a RAS47 with the Magpul furniture. Others may have had different experiences but mine has been flawless. I even had it out last weekend shooting 12" steel plates at 300 yards using a red dot.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=2119257
Old July 19, 2017, 04:34 AM   #16
noonesshowmonkey

When buying at the lower price points for AKs, the WASR is sort of the 1-stop-shop. It is an AKM pattern, has the chrome lined hammer forged barrel, and is no frills. There really isn't much in the competitive range. There are enough horror stories about the RAS47 available in an even cursory internet search that to say 'buyer beware' is a kind of understatement.

Between an NPAP and an RAS47, again, I'd shy away from the RAS and head towards the NPAP.

Even then, for a few sheckles more, you can get a WASR.

Buy from a reputable dealer, such as Atlantic Firearms or Classic Firearms. AKs require a lot more hands-on reviewing than an AR, as many of the problems on an AR can be fixed in a few minutes and with a few tools, while some AK problems require a hydraulic press, etc.
Old July 19, 2017, 05:11 AM   #17
R_P_K_

Stay away from American AK's. Buy a straight WASR 10. The new versions are good to go. Furniture isn't great, but the rifle is built with proper heat treated steel and a chrome lined cold hammer forged barrel. It will take a pounding and keep on running. Go visit ak files forum. Great resource. Bunch of asshats, but knowledgeable.
Old July 19, 2017, 09:05 AM   #18
DJarvis

I built my AK. Don't have a lot of money in it and it shoots really good. If you are thinking about building one or just need parts. Childers guns is a good place to contact.