The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 11, 2011, 10:06 AM   #26
Hardcase

Quote:
I am always amazed at what Hollywood would like us to believe the west was like, and the honest truth. Comparing the polite letters to say the Deadwood series. Now I am not saying there weren't sewer mouths back then..but I don't think it was so blatent, and certanly not in mixed company.
Deadwood is kind of a funny thing. I read an interview with the producers of the show in which they said that the language in the old towns and camps was pretty rough, but nothing like today's standard of rough. Back then, words like "damn" and "crap" were considered pretty foul, so the producers decided that in order to convey the sense of "foulness", they would have to ratchet up the profanity to our current standard. I guess that when they tried out the old style of cursing, it actually came across as amusing, which was not what they were after.

Unfortunately, at least for me, it turned what I thought was a great show into something that I couldn't enjoy with my father in law (one of the world's greatest Western aficionados) because he can't stomach the language.
Old January 11, 2011, 11:33 AM   #27
Hardcase

This is a letter to my great-great-great-great grandfather Christopher Cooper and his wife Jennett. This isn't the same "Chris Cooper" as in the first letter in this thread - my family, bless their hearts, had a string of Christophers: Christopher Charles Cooper, then Charles Christopher Cooper, then Christopher Cooper (again). They did the same thing with Jennetts. It makes genealogy a little bit harder.

Christopher and Jennett came to Baltimore in 1817 from Merthyr, Carmarthenshire, Wales (which still exists as a church and a few buildings.) Christopher was an ironworker and Jennett, I'm sad to say, was a shrew - they separated in 1839 (which, I guess would make Jennett a "grass widow", as Rooster Cogburn mentioned in the book and movies). Ironwork and farming appear to have not suited her when compared to her siblings' success in the tonier New York City (I believe that another brother was a lawyer).

Jacob Davies was Jennett's brother and a currier, or leather dresser in New York City.

The letter was addressed:

Mr. Christopher Cooper
Ellicots Iron Mills
Near Baltimore

New York October 5 1819

Dear Brother & Sister

I judge from your reluctance in writing to me that you will acknowledge this an early answer to yours of 5th Feby. However I should be pleased to exchange letters with you oftener. Tho' we may have nothing particular to communicate it will appear friendly.

I received a letter dated 30th July from my Mother last Monday which states that the family were well & that Vaughan have never paid, but she intends to prosecute & see if anything can be recovered, which is all the news it contained only that our Brother Joseph has been at home ill for four months & but lately returned

Page 2

back to his situation. She rec'd a letter from you in April. Twenty months since, I commenced business in New York and have done as well as could be expected according to times it has been here & the opportunity I had to begin to turn. I have made many bad debts in all about twelve hudnred Dollars which plays the mischief with a many profits still I have not as yet been put about to meet my payments and promise myself if I live I will better success this year. I married July 2, 1818 and have a Daughter now five months old & all doing well and two apprentices I have taken, one of them I have had now Eighteen months, so you perceive my family is tolerably

Page 3

respectable. I shall be glad if you will write to us in few days as I long to hear whether the fever rages any in your neighborhood, it has nearly destroyed business here for present.

I hope this will find you & your small family well as it leaves us. I beg my respects to your friend and I remain your affectionate

Jacob Davies

J.D.
Currier
Frankport St.
or Dwelling house
20 Rose St

Last edited by Hardcase; January 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old January 11, 2011, 10:55 PM   #28
Hardcase

During the midst of the Civil War, my great-great-great grandfather's brother, Henry Cooper, moved from Sailor Diggins to Idaho City. Eventually, his brothers (including my great-great grandfather) joined him there, where Frank and Henry operated a stage stop between Idaho City and Boise at Minnehaha Ranch. Henry is writing to his brother (my great-great-great grandfather) Chris Cooper, the one who is in the very first letter of this thread.

Minnehaha Ranch May 26th 68
Boise Co. Idaho Territory

Dear Brother Chris & Family

This is my first attempt to write a letter for several years as I have been living with Frank so long he gets all the letters and I trust to his answering them. That is the reason I have not wrote for so long. I read a j oint letter to me & Frank from you dated March 22nd, also two yesterday one for me the other for Frank date May 3rd. We are all well & join me in sending their love.

When I left California I left every thing with Frank & Bill except what would bring me up here. I have been broke ever since. I have been living with Frank the last four years trying to give him a start and get something to start with myself. I have had a good deal of sockness rheumetism in my hands and rists then broke my arm then the arysilus neuraligia. Get well of one then taken with the other. I am in very good health at present. We are making a good living & that is all, there is no chance to save anything. I don't know where to go or what to do to better my self. We are keeping a stage station on the road between

Page 2

Idaho City and Boise City 36 miles a part, doing the best business on the Road out of 6 houses & that is only a living. We have 2 horses 2 cows 4 hogs 2 geese 2 ducks 100 hens, that comprises our capital in stock. We have 6 or 7 acres of garden which I attend to mostly, between gardning choping wood hunting cows & horses building fence and the other nessasory employment about a place of this kind I am kept very busy. Frank has quite an interesting boy 3 years old last Nov. His name is Charles Finnegan Cooper. He is known by every body in the county. George Finegan is in Idaho City 12 miles from here tending sawmill engine, Andy Cadady was here about two weeks ago flat broke. He looks worse of the wear, you mentioned in your letter of March 22nd of making a propposition to by the farm. As for my self you are welcome to my intrest to do the best or what ever you please with it. Frank was speaking to me sometime ago about sending you a Deed to the place, I believe you will have to sind me a platt or set of instructions as to the locality amount of land situation and xoxo so that I can get an attorny to draw out the Deed in propper shape.

Page 3

This is the poorest part of gods creation for a poor man. The harder he works the more preservering & energetic he is. 9 chances out of 10 the worse his is at the end. Everything is over done. Chinaman is aboutto take this county. they live on the cheapest trade amongst themselves work for half what white men work for, consequently poor what men dont get mutch to do, besides we have from 4 to 5 months that men have to idle on account of cold weather & snow. I have taken up a timber claim here & have fenced it in. Have been watching it for three years. About the time I get tired & give it up then it will become valuable but I am not able to do anything with it. Its a good mill site. The nearest and best timber to Boise valley. All the timber neerer to Boise valley is pretty nearly used up.

Tell Frank Baldwin John Harness & all the rest of my old acquantances to write & let me know some thing about the suffering caused by the war for during the war letters from the Atlantic states were not alowed to rreach this coast that contained anything that didn't suit Abolitionism. Consequently I know nothing about what has transpired in that part

Page 4

I have written all that I can think of inerest and as Frank writes mostly he will give you all the particulars. George gets letters from home once in a while. I don't know of his getting any lately.

I haven't heard from Ed or George for over six month tho, so I will come to a close. Excuse the short and blundering writing. With my love to you all hoping these few lines may find you all enjoying good health. Give also my best wishes to Frank Baldwin John Harness and all the rest of my acquantances that are still there.

My love to all XOXO Yours XO

H.A. Cooper

Address HA Cooper in care of George
T. Finegan Idaho City Idaho Teritory

A word about the Minnehaha Ranch: An article in the Idaho World (still published in Idaho City and advertised as the oldest continuously published paper in Idaho) of June 22, 1867 says this:

"A full load of passengers made the heart of the driver glad, and he took care to give a touch of the inspiration to his team which sped along over the road in splendid style and with high speed. A delightful day was vouchsafed, and everything was favorable. At Cooper's Minnehaha Ranch we stopped to water the horses, and the moment's stay gave opportunity for a brief but pleasing survey of the pretty place Mr. Cooper has there built up in the lap of wilderness. An air of charming cleanliness and neatness everywhere pervades the house and grounds, and the sweet music of the bubbling, rippling waters of the Minnehaha as they leap and frisk over the pebbly, rocky bed, adds its cheery influence to the scene."

Also, just to give a bit of perspective to things, at this time, the population of Idaho City proper was about 7,000, making it the largest city in the Northwest - larger, even, than Portland.

Last edited by Hardcase; January 11, 2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old January 11, 2011, 11:22 PM   #29
Hardcase

Here's a photo of a typical mine near Idaho City, Idaho. It was probably taken in the mid 1890s, maybe a little earlier. There was a mix of hard rock, placer and hydraulic mining in the area. This was either a fair sized placer operation or maybe a hard rock mine. I'm pretty sure that it's not a hydraulic mine.

My folks on the McNeil side (whom you haven't met yet) were mostly miners and were involved in all three types of mining. The Coopers figured out after California that mining was a hell of a lot of work for the money.

This may be one of the McNeil boys - unfortunately, the photo is only marked "Idaho City Mine".

Old January 13, 2011, 06:05 PM   #30
Hardcase

Here's another jump in time - sorry for the disorganized manner of posting; it's the fault of my awful filing system (which is to say, completely disorganized). I really need to sit down over the course of a weekend and get these papers put in some kind of decent order.

Anyway, this letter is from my great-great-great-great grandmother's sister who lived in Wales. It filled with the usual complaints of illness - I guess that outside of the usual daily routine, the only other thing on peoples' minds was whether or not they or somebody near them was going to die.

Pontypool Monmouthshire
May 24th 1819

My Dear Christr and Jennett,

I've to acknowledge the receipt of yours dated Feby 5th and I assure you it affords me inexpressible pleasure to hear of your well doing and that you enjoy such good health & prespects. The reason why I have not answer'd your letter sooner has been solely in consequence of my ill health and that of your sister Mary who has been confined & who has had a very bad time of it. Indeed so much so that I am now here the second time since her confinement of 9th Apl. She was put to bed and was taken very ill on the Wednesday after. She partly recover'd and was taken ill the second time on last Friday week. However she is now in a fair way of recovery and I find myself

Page 2

considerably better than I have been for some time back. The same cause as prevents my writing to you has prevented my writing and sending the money to your mother to Birmingham. However I have done so now & this letter and that of your mothers are put in the office at the same time. Joseph has been poorly for upwards of fourteen months, but is now recovered. He was with me at home between 3 or 4 months & return sometime in March & in the last letter I had from him he expressed himself in a way that makes me rather apprehensive that Liverpool will not agree long with him. He said he was particularly sorry that his sister left without his seeing her & further says that if he could find out some sort of speculation that would turn out to his advantage he would do so and come over. Benj'n is still in the same situation and is well. William is with Mr. Merick at Merthyr and doing as well as I can reasonably expect.

Your syster Ann and family are all well and are

Page 3

in the same situation as they did prior to your leaving here. I enjoy my health at present much the same as formerly. However I have been very indifferent and am induced to think that the place I reside does not any means agree with me and am recommend by all means to remove to some more likely place to suit my health. Batten and your system Mary still in the same situation and I rather suppose Mary will write herself to you soon. I have nothing particular to add only withing you to have in mind that I constantly pray to God for your prosperity both temporal and spiritual & although I dont expect to meet you in this world yet recognize there is an hereafter where we are sure to meet & if [illegible] enough to be of the happy few we shall meet never to part again. I forgot to inform you that Marys last is a little girl & a very fine one it is.

Your friends join in their best respects to you all. I will now conclude by wishing you all prosperity.

Am yours affectionately

Ann Davies

The last page of the letter was made a bit confusing because written across the left side, perpendicular to the text, was another message:

My best respects to your and also to my sister Jane and children. Please to direct the Merthyr Post Office. I would wish to know your address. Pray write soon.

I remain ever yours & best
wishes Wm. Davies
Old January 13, 2011, 06:26 PM   #31
bighead46

Those letters remind me about some of my own great grandparents. It seems to me that the people then were not that different from today. An awful lot of contemporary Movie Westerns, etc depict the people back then as illeterate bumpkins, sort of.....
"Wall, i says to ol Jeb, go get one of them thar bufflas and we gonna has ourselves a good feed on em."

I'm sure there were people that spoke that way- there are street people around today that speak that way, but I think a lot of today's movies would be vastly imroved if they knocked off the hillbilly stuff. IMHO. A lot of the old letters indicate that's NOT how a lot of people were. If I have noticed anything in the letters it may be sort of short, choppy sentences and maybe an occasional grammer error but that's about it.
What say some of the rest of you that have read any letters from that day???
Old January 13, 2011, 08:05 PM   #32
Model-P

Quote:
What say some of the rest of you that have read any letters from that day???
The letters I have read almost always exhibit a degree of gammatical correctness not commonly found today. That last letter Hardcase posted is a good example.

However, to be honest, after having read most of Hardcase's other letter posts, I found myself eating crow with regard to my comment in the "True Grit" thread that grammar is worse today than before. Many of the grammatical errors I pointed out as being prevalent today were found in those letters. I'm sure that it is all relative, and there has always been a range of grammatical "correctness" depending to some degree on the amount of education available to which the writer was able to avail himself at that place and time in history.

Many of that period either did not have opportunity or the means to obtain a high degree of education. A lack of education was excusable during those hard times when lads were isolated or had to go to work as soon as they were physically able. With today's universal forced education through High School in America, I find the poor grammar of today's youth absolutely inexcusable, especially when we are all having to foot the bill for their so-called education.

(And, "Spell-check" is a horrible tool, largely responsible for people who can't spell worth spit today without it!)

I appreciate letters such as these that Hardcase has posted for the actual historical perspective from which we can learn so much. What may have seemed mundane and common to them at the time can be very interesting and enlightening to us today.
Old January 14, 2011, 03:41 AM   #33
Model-P

Hardcase, rereading through some of your lettes, it really struck me that in a few short years some of them will be two-hundred years old! What is the oldest family letter you have? Might be time to get some cotton gloves. I hope you are scanning them to preserve them digitally as well.
Old January 14, 2011, 09:38 AM   #34
Hardcase

Model-P, the oldest letter that I have is from early 1819. I'm acutely aware of their age, so I handle them as little as possible.

Four or five years ago my wife started volunteering at a small historical museum and showed the curator a few of the letters. We got a very stern lecture on how to properly preserve old paper and photo artifacts. It was stern because, until then, they'd been stored in a couple of boxes with everything sort of piled upon each other.

Now each letter and photo is in a special archival plastic sleeve and those sleeves are stored in archival boxes. The only problem is that when I archived them, I didn't create any sort of organized filing system - I just put papers in sleeves and put sleeves in boxes. So, now I'm organizing them by date and as I organize them, I scan each one.

And, most definitely, I have several pairs of cotton gloves. That was also part of the stern lecture. My wife still volunteers at the museum and the curator is much happier
Old January 14, 2011, 11:33 AM   #35
Hardcase

In the 1850s, mail from California was a little spendy and potentially unreliable since it either went 'round the tip of South America or across the isthmus in Panama (the Pony Express didn't exist and overland mail was virtually unthinkable). Packet service was well established between New Orleans and San Francisco or Sacramento, so several companies created their own mail services to get letters, packages and gold dust from California back to the states. One of them was Gregory's Express of San Francisco. They sold a small notebook with very fine paper, about 20 pages, that was the same size and weight as a regular folded letter. A person could send quite a long letter from the mines back to his family and not break the bank. Of course, all the other dangers of sending a letter via ocean and isthmus were still there, but at least it was affordable.

Here are a few images of the book that Henry Cooper wrote in.

Port Wine
July the 25th 1852

Dear Mother

I take this opportunity of writing a few lines hopeing they may find you all well. I received a letter from Anne afew[?] days ago and one from you yesterday which informs me that Frank is coming to California. I sent a Letter to

Page 2

Frank and one to Bill and to Anne. But I have not heard from Bill for six months. I dont know where to direct his letters. Its very un certain about getting Letters here. I will write to them again soon and as soon as I hear from them, I will write home. I have had very good health cince I came to California. You seemed to be distressed about excepting of some of Frank money before he started. You need not let that trouble you. He will get along some way or other. He will have no use for it on the plains and he can get some here. I shall be glad see him here. He will have a great deal better chance to make something here than he had in the States. I would advise

Page 3

sell or give away every thing that is no use to you such as young Cattle, poor hogs and sheep. The are more expence than profeit. Keep 1 good yoak of oxen and 2 good big work horses and enough of milch cows for your own se and George and Edward can raze enough to feed them with out much trouble. If they keep a lot of cattle they cant raze enough to feed them. I wouldnt plant more than they can attend to, or else they wont have any in the fall. There is no use in keeping Horses that will jump the fences, hogs that will get in the field. They will destroy more in one night than they are worth.

Page 4

Do not fret your self to death about things out of the House. The Boys know what ought to be done as well as you can tell them. Dont be uneasy about any thing for every thing appears to trouble you a thousand times worce than any body else. Write to me when you get this. Who all has got home from California? Tell me something about all the neighbors and especialy Eli Katts about his trip Home and his health on the way and after he got Home. Willson and Fuller, the Kile boys and Ben Arnold and whether Arnold is coming back the this Country or not. Dr. Grears son was here about a week

Page 5

ago. He is the first that I have seen since I have been here. I do not know when I shall go Home, but I think next spring. I want to get enough here to give me a good start in the States. Business is very dull here now but it will be better in the fall. When Frank gets here we will be of some advantage to onanother. If I can get anough of money ahead I will go home this fall and come back again and leave Frank in my place. I dont know whether I shall go home to the states or not to stay as Bill and Frank has come out here. If we do well we will soon be in the states. As I have wrote to Anne you will see

Page 6

letter. It aint nessesary for me to write much this time. I will write afew lines to George and Edward. No more at present but remain your effectionate son

Henry Cooper

Next, Henry writes a letter to his brothers George and Edward.

Dear Brothers

I now write a few lines of advice to you and at the same time hoping that you will take my advice. That is not to give mother any occaision to be vexed and troubled about things out side of the House. Be industrious through the week and you will be better satisfied at the

Page 7

end of the week. Keep no more than 2 or 3 horses and feed them well and try to keep them fat and fit. Don't let the saddle cut there backs and the color [collar] make their shoulder sore. Keep all your tools in good order. Don't use one of those wooden ploughs. Use a diamond plough. Keep up with your work and dont let it drive you. Dont give mother any occasion to trouble her self about your business.

I want you both to write to me as soon as you get this all about the times and neighbors as far as you are acquanted. How Smedley is getting on with the neighbors and if you have heard from John Jonson and where

Page 8

where he is. Let me know who all has got back from California and who all is married and who is likely to be and let me know who has left or come or moved in the neighborhood. Maybe I will go home next fall or spring. If I do I will fetch you out here or put you in a way to do something there but keep your shirts on and dont be too sure of coming till you some further news. As I have wrote so many letters for home I dont know what to write so I will come to a close.

I want you and Edward both to write as soon as you get this and I will wirte as soon as I here from Frank or Bill. Frank aught

Page 9

to be in California in a week or too.

Give my respects to all enquiring friends. Tell them that I am well and gaining a little in riches.

No more at present but remain your effectionate Brother

Henry Cooper

Send my best love and wishes to Anne and family, Chris and family, Joe and family. No more at present.

------------------

At the time, Henry was 24, George was 20 and Edward was 18. Their father, Christopher (my great-great-great-great grandfather) had died five years earlier, so Henry, as the eldest unmarried son (who wasn't in transit somewhere), took on the role of head of household, from a distance anyway. He was rather stern with his brothers because he knew that they couldn't stand farming and wanted more than anything to head out to California and be with their brothers. Eventually, they did, but not until after Jennett died and the farm was sold (in the 1850s).

There was another brother on the farm at the time, Alexander, who was 11 years old. I assume that he didn't get any brotherly advice because his duties would have been a bit more mundane.

Henry mentioned not knowing when he would go home - he never did go back to the farm in Missouri.

All in all, though, I think that Henry's advice in the second letter would be well-taken in just about any age!
Old January 14, 2011, 10:33 PM   #36
Model-P

That pocket letter book is interesting. I learn something new every day if I'm not careful. Thankyou!
Old January 15, 2011, 10:47 PM   #37
Hardcase

In the late 1800s and early 1900s (and perhaps earlier and later than that as well), the analog to today's high school yearbook was the autograph book. Out in my neck of the woods, high school was generally as far as folks went in their education. College was an expensive prospect and the financing opportunities that we have today didn't exist - of course, that also means that the curse of student loans was also absent.

Anyway, I have five of these albums that belonged to various aunts and to my great grandmother when they lived in Idaho City and Centerville, Idaho. Remember, now, these are 16 to 18 year olds writing. While it's easy to be dismissive of today's kids' writing ability, there's definitely a sense here that the children of the late 19th and early 20th centuries had not only a firm grasp on the language, but also a certain sense of pride in its usage. There were no spelling or grammar checkers back then!

Here are a few examples:

To Lydia:

Be always kind hearted
Do Good without end
But never forget
your affectionate friend.

Is the sincere wish of
Miss Fannie M. Magee
Forget me not

Idaho City
Jan 10th 1893

---

Dear Lydia

Forget me not I only ask of you
The simple loan of thee
Let it be an easy task
Sometimes to think of me

From your school-mate
Kathleen OConnor

Idaho City
Jan. 12th 1893

---

To Miss Lydia Cooper
Idaho City
Jan. 12 - 1893

I will not say as so man have
"Forget me not", for I do not think
you will ever forget some of the
tirals of your life in this school
room. But may you remember that
it is my earnest wish to be a
useful and helpful friend to you.

H.P. Pomeroy

---

But the pièce de résistance is this remarkable pen and ink drawing - remember, this wasn't a fountain pen, it was a nib pen and inkwell. Indeed, a budding artist!

FYI, "Lydia" and "Nettie" were my great-great aunts. Unfortunately, both died before I was born, but I was fortunate enough to learn a little bit about them from their sister, my great grandmother and from my grandfather. According to my great grandmother, they were beautiful, all the boys chased them and they were the most popular girls at the frequent dances in Idaho City and Centerville.
Old January 17, 2011, 12:43 PM   #38
Hardcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohill
Great letters. Do they talk about the actual mining in the letters? How about politics and current events?
I finally came up with some answers to the second question: As you probably know, there was a fierce streak of patriotism in the Confederate states - I think to a greater degree than in the North. I never got the impression that my Missouri ancestors were particularly fervent for the Southern cause (although, given that they rented slaves during harvest time, I'm sure that they supported it), but I believe that they had to be acutely aware that in the course of a letter's travels through the postal system it would be handled by those who were.

A letter from Houses Springs, Missouri to the gold fiekds would travel through St. Louis before reaching New Orleans. At either place, it's certainly possible that its contents would be examined before being sent on to the nominally neutral destination. With that in mind, according to what I've read, discretion was the better part of valor. If you didn't mention anything about politics or war, you didn't have to worry about saying the wrong thing.

There was no official censorship for mail heading west, as far as I can tell, but there were certainly prying eyes.

I still have a great many letters to sort through and scan and it's slow going due to my abysmal filing system, so it's possible that other answers lie in them. It's certainly something that I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for.

As for mining, after the brothers reunited in the gold field, they realized the opportunities that the retail business presented and pooled their capital to open a supply store. They were quite successful at that. It's possible that earlier letters went into some detail about mining - at some point I'll find out.
Old January 18, 2011, 04:41 PM   #39
Hardcase

Back and forth in time we go. In 1829, my great-great-great-great grandfather had been in the US for about 12 years. He had left Wales for Baltimore because the ironworking opportunities in the old country had dried up. He found work at a foundry there, then moved around a bit, finally settling in Wheeling, Virginia (West Virginia was still some time in the future).

I don't know if you could say that he had a successful career as an ironworker - eventually, he moved the family to Houses Springs, Missouri, which may actually be part of St. Louis now.

At any rate, one of his friends, a Mr. Reeders, who lived in Jeffersonville, Kentucky discovered a fine business opportunity and attempted to persuade Christopher to join him. As far as I know, nothing came of it, probably because Christopher never had much money.

21 June 1829 - Jeffersonville

C. Cooper,
Dear Sir,

A prospect appearing at length to open for you to make your fortune without the intolerable bodily labor that you at present perform, and I should be heartily glad to take a wing of it with you.

The following advertisement has just appeared in the Public Advertiser.

The Louisville Foundry
Will be rented by private contract, and pssession given on the 1st day of Aug for a term of seven years in the following manner: The whole will be rented till the first day of May 1831, five sixths till the first day of Jan'y 1833, and two thirds till the first day of Aug 1836. the whole to be rented for a certain time, and the same proportion of rent to be paid till the expiration of the lease. It contains a Cupola that will melt as much Iron as will make a casting of 26 Cwt. The Steam Engine that blows the bellows has lately undergone a thorough repair, and is now in excellent order. A new and commodious black-smith's shop has been put up on the premises this spring; and there are also two pattern shops with an extensive assortment of valuable patterns. The superior advantage which this old Establishment possesses, are so well known that it is not necessary to make any comment. It is sufficient to say that it is well worthy the attention of any man of talent, who wishes to embark in this business.

Either of the subscribers will be at all times ready to show the premises, and to receive offers from those willing to rent.

Jacob Kesser
Jos. Middleton, Guardian of Arek, Geo and Wm. Prentice

The business having been very profitable in the hands of the late David Prentice, and Doctor Middleton, his son in law, a very just and reasonable man, I think that prospect a very fair one, and that you ought to come down and view the property without loss of time; especially as there is no opposition nor likely to be any for some time. The situation of the Foundry is good - as it fronts the river a little below the Steam boat landing place.

Hoping to see you very soon, with the respects of my Parents and self to you and Mrs. Cooper. I remain

Ever, Dear Sir,

Yours,

E. Reeders

NB I observe in the advertisement some omissions; particularly a turning & boaring lathe.

The letter was addressed to:

Mr. Christopher Cooper
Iron Founder
Wheeling
Vg.

As an interesting aside, the Louisville Foundry produced the first steam engine ever made in Louisville. It was made for a cotton mill.
Old January 18, 2011, 10:56 PM   #40
Hardcase

Just got off the phone with my dad who reminded me that up at the mountain house, there is a stack of Harper's Weeklies tucked away in a cupboard.

I'll be up there shoveling snow the first weekend in February, so I'll take a look at them. I'm not sure how far back they go, but I do remember the "tag" under the title: "The Journal of Civilization".
Old January 24, 2011, 02:58 PM   #41
Hardcase

From the Idaho World (Idaho's oldest, continuously published newspaper, by the way) from sometime in November 1902:

One of the most attractive weddings that ever took place here was that of Miss Madie Cooper, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank H. Cooper, and Mr. Wm. J. McNeil, of Idaho City.

The ceremony was performed by Probate Judge Hart at the residence of the bride's parents. The bride was escorted into the parlor by her father, followed by Mrs. Cooper and Mr. McNeil.

The bride was beautifully attired in a pearl gray gown, a pretty wreath of orange blossoms in her hair, in her hand a cluster of roses. Miss Essie Cooper, sister of the bride, was bridesmaid and looked charming.

Will Cooper, the bride's oldest brother, filled the bill as best man to perfection. The number of invited guests was large, and they passed an enjoyable afternoon; in fact so much so that were a stranger to enter the room he would think that everybody had just been married.

It is said that the bride received more presents and of greater value than any young lady ever married here, which to enumerate would occupy too much of your valuable space.

The wedding repast was served in the dining room, and surely it was a feast fit for the gods. Late in the afternoon the guests bade the bride and groom “by by," at the same time wishing them a long life of prosperity and happiness.

Mr. and Mrs. McNeil will make their home near Idaho City.

Since the wedding, bachelors who have withstood the charms and fascinations of the fair sex for years are trembling in their boots and feelingly asking themselves, "Who'll be next?"

----

Still in business after 164 years...just not as prosaic as a hundred and ten years ago. Madie (Mary) and Frank McNeil were my great grandparents. Madie's father William was the nephew of the Frank, Henry and William Coopers who have been mentioned in the previous letters.

So you can see that sometimes it's a little tough to keep track of who is whom. There are a bunch of Christophers, Henrys and Williams through the generations and it's painfully easy to get one generation mixed up with the other.
Old January 24, 2011, 11:32 PM   #42
Hardcase

These days, if we need a certified copy of a government document, like a marriage license or birth certificate, we just trundle down to the county clerk's office, have it printed up and notarized and we're done. How much easier can it be?

Turn on the way-back machine, Sherman. Now it's 1839 and you need a copy of your naturalization papers. As it happens, you were naturalized in Virginia, but you live in Missouri now. I guess that you can't get on the Internet and fill out a form, right? And the Xerox machine is well over a hundred years away anyhow.

So, you send a letter to a friend or relative in Virginia and ask him to run over to the county clerk's office to have the clerk write out a certified copy of your document. By hand. And that's what happened on March 28, 1839.

At the end of the document, the clerk certifies that he is who he says he is and the document is what it says it is, then he affixes the seal of the county. Then, the circuit court judge certifies that the clerk is who he says he is and that he can do what he says that he did.

The bill was $1.87: 50 cents for the copying and $1.37 for the seal.
Old January 27, 2011, 12:22 PM   #43
Hardcase

Joseph Cooper was my great great great grandfather's brother. He was a glass cutter, working in Cincinnati, Ohio. Ann Finagin, the woman to whom he was writing, was their oldest sister.

Letters like this are a testament to the fact that cities in the "western" states of 1849 were not the metropolises that they are today. It was addressed simply: Mrs. Ann Finagin, St. Louis Mo.

At the time, there were about 115,000 people living in Cincinnati. St. Louis had a population of around 78,000 (not a tiny place, but definitely not what it is today.) In comparison, New York City was pushing 700,000.

Cincinnati, April 9th 1849

Dear Sister,

I receivd your letter last Wednesday. I promised to send you some cake and the particulars of the wedding but I kept putting of writing from day to day expecting I would get a letter from you before I wrote. I have not wrote to Mother yet but I will write to her to day. We have been married four week last Wednsday. 7th March we was married at the house by the Rev Mr. Jewell. I had Mr. Flin for grommsman and Mary had Augusta Shields for Brides maid. We had a very pleasant time. Shines and Mrs. Shines, Susan Tompson, Mr. and Mrs. Cook, Mr. Webb and Family, George Finagin, Sammy and Charley Hodgkins, Mrs. Shields, Mrs. Alexander, Mrs. Stickney, Mrs. Fithian, Mr. Huner, Mrs. Harrison, James Leslie. the house was pritty well filled. We had a good supper and brok up about one o clock. Everything passed of very agreeable. The room was to small or we would had some danceing.

We did not invite the Wightmans or Shells. Leslie dont appear to like the Wightmans much ever since they went on that Picnic. I should like to have the Shells, but we intended at first to have it take place privately with nobody but Flin and Augusta as it would be of less expense but Mr. Leslie invited Mr. Cooks and had to have Mary Fithian and if the next hadnt been invited they wouldnt of liken it.

We are boarding at Leslies. They will move out in the country about the first week in May and then we will go to house keeping. I like all of Leslies very well in fact better than I expected to for I youst to think Mrs. Leslie would be cross and ill tempered with anybody that lived with her but have not found her as yet. As for Mary I think we will live very agreeable together. We have been married more than a month and I find no reason to regret it yet.

Page 2

James Leslie died last Wednsday night half past ten oclock. He went down on the steamer Moro Castle the day after we was married. Took sick in New Orleans. Was sick all the way up. No Doctor on the boat. Over ten days coming up and was very bad when he got here with the inflamation of the bowels. He got here Saturday and died Wendsday. they put him in a vault out at Corninsville on Thursday. I sat up with him all Monday and Tuesday night and Wennsday night they thought he was getting better and I laid down and thought I would have a good sleep but I hant bee asleep over half a hour be Mary wokened me up and told me Jim was adiing. They all take it very hard as Jim was the pet of the family. He appeared to know he was going to die. He told them so on the boat but I suppose they laughed at him. I told his mother it was no yues to send for a doctor, he was going to die. He said he felt like as if he was going to die and we couldin make him believe otherwise.

George is now carrying papers to get his money from Easton and bought a route of the Daily Nonpariel. He gave 20 Dollar for the route. There is over 180 subscripers. Besides carrying weeklies, he makes 5 or 6 Dollar a week. He been carrying papers for four or five weeks. I see him every day. I take a paper from him. His hand is perfectly well but is stiff. He cant yous any of his fingers. His hand looks a great deal better. The swelling in the palm of his hand is a going down. I have not seen Mary for two or three week but george says they are all well. I told George that you sent a letter to Mary. He said she did not get it yet, perhaps it is in the Post Office yet.

Mr. Phillips has not been doing anything for the last two month. Seen the Battons yesterday.

Page 3

The youngest child has been very sick but is getting better. They told me Old Mr. Gowers had Poisend himselve by taking arsenick. he was drinking and his wife left him for two or three days when Bill Gowers to see him and asked him if he wanted to send word to his mother. When he tol him he poisend himself. You needent say anything to Mr. Shell about it. I dont know whether it [illegible] or not. Ive not been to Shell since we married. Ill go this week and se them.

I seen Mrs. Alexander yesterday. She was at Leslies. I se the Shieldses sometimes but have not seen the Wightmans for four or five weeks.

Coulters wife Susan is dead. She died about 3 week ago with the dropsy.

Tell Mr. Finagin Im trying to get some Chimneys out of Old Jukes but have not got any yet. I was there this morning. He promised to make some this week but I dont know when he will. He has been promising to make them for a long time but is all way making excuses. He is only been working one Pot all winter and been sick part of the time and making green glass. It aint no ues trying to get any money for I could not get any out of him when he already owd me 4 or 5 Dollar. Soon as I can get this he [illegible] them round or perhaps I can get some Ale glass out of him and cut them if you think Mr. Finagin could sell them as well or some of each. Thats partly the reason why I didnt write before. I wanted to kno wwhen I could get any thing from Old Jukes so I could let you know. It is as uncertain now as it was before.

My business has been very dul this winter and I hoped it would be better in spring but it aint much better yet. If I could find any thing else to do I would do it but I have to keep at it till I can find something else to get at.

Mary got your letter. It had been laing in the Post Office for six weeks. They always send Leslies letters to the Teatre and mine all comes to the Shop and I didnt think of going to the office till I saw it advertised.

No more at present. Give my love to all and write as soon as you get this.

Your affectionate Brother,

Joseph C. Cooper

----

"Dropsy" is now known as edema. Since I'm not a doctor, I don't know how one would die from it, but back then, it seems like just about anything was fatal.

For those who have an interest, there's some fascinating old-timey medical advice on treating dropsy and inflamation of the bowels. It ranges from the humorous to the downright scary. I think that the lesson is that getting sick in the mid-19th century was a pretty dicey affair.

Also, the "chimneys" in the letter are, I believe, glass chimneys for oil lamps and candles.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:24 PM   #44
Hardcase

On a battered and torn scrap of paper, I found these prescriptions for ailments of the time:

1 dram oil of Lemon
1 drop Essence of Camphor
1 drop Essence of Cinnamon
1 drop Essence of Sassafras
1 drop Essence of Peppermint

1/3 Teaspoonful at a dose

Administer three or four times
in case of vomiting
--------------------------------------------------------------------
If cramp'd in arms & legs take 1 oz Cyan pepper, 1 handfull salt.
Put this in as warm water as the patient can bear it. Immediately rub the legs and arms with a cloth and continue rubbing. Apply hot bricks to the feet in a moist cloth. As soon as the patient says ready give him 4 talbe spoonfulls Castor oil in a little brandy with nutmeg. If the bowels are hard and vomiting continues, make a bandage of woolen clothe and apply.

1 oz of Camphor in a Pint of Brandy and moisten the bandage with it.

Burn some bread and put it in water. 9 drops of brandy. Ground Ivy Tea is good.

------------------

I'm not sure who wrote it, but from the condition of the paper and the style of the writing, I suspect that it's more likely from the first half of the 19th century than the second.

Like I said earlier, illness and injury back then were dicey conditions.
Old January 28, 2011, 02:29 PM   #45
orangello

Thank you for sharing this with us!
Old January 28, 2011, 06:26 PM   #46
Ben Towe

I must say, everybody talking about ancestors has gotten me on ancestry.com searching out the family tree. It's rather intriguing. Also, a note about the language of the forefathers; do not assume they spoke as they wrote. If you were to meet me in person you would never guess I wrote this. I do not speak this way. I speak in the dialect of Appalachia with a little deep South thrown in, as most natives of this part of America do. To speak entirely proper English would be, at best, unwieldy in day to day life here. I write as I do because I was taught to and I speak as I do because that's how I was taught to speak. Accents also play a large part as they can make proper word pronunciation difficult, particularly in the South as we tend to soften sharp sounds and speak rhythmically. It can be quite annoying when speaking around people who do not live here, as they tend to attach the label "dumb hillbilly" as soon as you open your mouth.
Old January 30, 2011, 04:13 PM   #47
ironmace

Hardcase, I'm not sure if anyone else has said this but you have there in your letters and photos American History, which at all costs must be preserved.
Old January 30, 2011, 09:17 PM   #48
Hardcase

Quote:
Hardcase, I'm not sure if anyone else has said this but you have there in your letters and photos American History, which at all costs must be preserved.
Very true - I feel like I'm spending a small fortune on archival storage supplies. That stuff is expensive, but the letters and photos are priceless.
Old February 1, 2011, 11:47 PM   #49
Hardcase

In the late 1890s, my great grandfather, William McNeil, was farming with his brother Albert near Garden Valley, Idaho. It's a beautiful spot in the mountains, but it's really more ranch country than farming because the growing season is pretty short. It's possible that they grew hay and perhaps had some cattle.

It was the second homestead for the McNeil boys - the first one was in an area called Round Valley, which was a bit farther north and quite a bit higher in elevation. They didn't last long there, although the cabin they built stood until the late 1960s (I remember seeing it as a boy when we drove up to the lake in the summer).

Anyway, while William and Albert made their living in Garden Valley, they would travel the 25 dusty, mountainous miles through Placerville and Centerville to Idaho City, the seat of Boise County and the nearest town of any size. Around 1900, a pretty girl caught William's eye and he determined to court her. Of course, this was at the close of Victorian times, so these things were done "just so". That meant a fair amount of accompanied meetings and such. As it happened, Idaho City did have a pretty well developed social life, so dances and socials were always going on. The problem for William was getting from Garden Valley to Idaho City.

In the summer, it was a fair ride on a horse, but for the hand of a pretty girl it was well worth it. In the winter...well, it snows like there's no tomorrow up there, deeper than a horse's back. But for the hand of a pretty girl...

William made himself a pair of skis out of a couple of planks that he sawed, carved and steamed, then attached some leather bindings to them and, every couple of weeks, skied the 25 miles from Garden Valley to Idaho City.

It must have impressed that pretty girl because she turned out to be my great grandmother Mary and William became my great grandfather. Now, he died before I was born, but I was lucky enough to hear first hand the story of how my great grandfather courted my great grandmother from Nana herself.

Oh, and those skis are still around. They're hanging on the wall of our cabin in central Idaho. I'll snap a picture this weekend.

The family, around 1920.

Front Row: Mary, Bill, William
Back Row: Everett (my grandfather), Dallas
Old February 2, 2011, 10:50 PM   #50
Hardcase

A few posts ago, I transcribed a letter from the Pocket Letter Book of 1852 addressed to George and Edward Cooper. As I mentioned, the boys really disliked farming and were itching to get off the farm in Missouri and head West to join their brothers. Well, they did and George ended up at the Stonewall Mine, just outside of Descanso, California, about 40 miles from Old Town San Diego (which, at the time, was, of course, just San Diego, population: 5,000).

Now, it's interesting to read this letter for a couple of reasons. I guess that the most obvious is that George talks about the "Garden Spot of America" and about how nice the weather in San Diego is.

The other reason is that when I was stationed in San Diego in the Navy, I lived in Alpine, just one exit down the freeway from Descanso. At the time, I had no idea that my great-great-great-great grand uncle had lived there. In fact, I didn't find out until this very evening.

The Stonewall Mine was a hard rock shaft mine, but there's nothing much left now. For those interested, there is an interesting description of an archaeological investigation here.

About all that I know of George Cooper was that he was still working at the mine in 1900 as an "Amalgamator (Gold)" according to the US Census. He would have run the equipment that combined mercury with the gold ore to create an amalgam of gold and mercury, which would be further distilled to recover the gold. He's on my to do list for research.

Stonewall Cal Aug 27th, 74

Dear Brother Chris

I last night received your two letters maild the same date and was really glad to get a letter from you. I had suposed that Frank, Henry, Ed. & myself had several years ago Deeded all our Interests to you. Look over your papers and see if you can not find a Deed. However if not if you will send me the Range Township & Section of the Several pieces of Land, I will send you a Deed. And the $173.75 On Hundred & Seventythree Seventyfive Cents I will give to you.

I have nothing interesting to write or very little that would interest you. This is a nice county to live in but very poor farming county. I have been here five years and farmers have only raised one good crop. It dont rain much and they have no water to irigate with. But there is some splendid land here. The next county above, Los Angeles is called the Garden Spot of America.

But we are waiting for the Texas and Pacific Rail Road to build up the City of San Diego and I don't know of a nicer place to live in. I inclose the weather report for the first eight days in June. That is about as hot as it generally gets in the summer. In the Winter it is never cold. They have no frost or snow. All kinds of Tropical Fruits & Shrubery grows out of doors.

Where I am about 40 miles East of San Diego it snows in the winter sometimes two or three feet. I got a letter from Henry a few days ago. I have not heard from Ed or Frank for sometime and never hear from any of Sister Anns folks. As the Mail will be a long in a few moments I will have to close this.

Give My Love to your Wife & family.

Yours &c, George Cooper

-------------------

The letter is prefaced:

My address is
"Stonewall
San Diego Co
Cal"

as there are several Coopers here in this County. My Name on the Great Register is George A Cooper.

The Post Master at San Diego and in fact most every man in the County knows me by that name.

----------------

The "Great Register" was the Great Register of Voters of San Diego County. Incidentally, the Texas and Pacific never made it to San Diego. As far as I know, it wasn't until 1919 that a direct rail line to the east made it to the city.