The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 3, 2014, 02:27 PM   #1
campingnights

Howell cylinder conversion

I am thinking of a Howell conversion cylinder for my Pietta Remington Sheriff percussion revolver. There are too many various opinions on the net, but very little from folks that actually bought and used them. Particularly on what is safe to use in them. Past all the legal BS, I have half a box of lead 45 long colt cartridges and cannot find a definitive answer if standard 45 long colt is safe to shoot? Logically the factory ammo is designed to be safe to shoot in any revolver chambered for it. Is this conversion cylinder insufficient strength wise, or something? I tend to think it would be OK, but I would like to hear from someone who has actually done it (and still has a right hand). I am also curious if the firing pin plate can be easily cleaned as I would be setting up for blackpowder cartridges. Thanks

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old October 3, 2014, 03:15 PM   #2
TemboTusk

I have had no trouble shooting both Black Powder, Winchester cowboy ammo, and my own Trail Boss hand loads on the heavy side. The cylinder itself is very robust.

The firing pin is easily cleaned with soap and water, rinse and spayed with WD-40 to displace the water. Drop of oil of choice and done.

Since the conversion, I shoot my Colt 1851, Walker and Dragoon so much more now.

Don't tell anybody, but I even shoot light Trail Boss loads with my brass frame 1851.
Prettiest revolver out there!!

www.TemboTusk.com
Old October 3, 2014, 04:53 PM   #3
Bishop Creek

I have owned both the Howell (R&D) conversion cylinder and Kirst model for over a decade. Both are very stout and clean up easily after shooting black powder. I have only fired smokeless "Cowboy" loads like those made by Ultramax (per manufacturers recommendations) and hand loaded black powder cartridges with them and have had no trouble. I have read that they are manufactured with stronger steel than the Italian revolvers that they are used in.
Old October 3, 2014, 05:03 PM   #4
Jim Watson

One or both of the main converters says they use 4150 steel which is a fine modern material. Unless the design makes the walls paper thin (bolt notches?) they ought to hold any standard load.

Be advised, there is no pressure standard for "cowboy loads." They usually have lighter bullets at lower velocity than standard so as to reduce recoil for the tenderfeet. That does not necessarily mean they develop lower pressure. Like cheap shotshells, they might have a light charge of very fast powder putting up the full 13000 CUP. They might not, but there is no way of knowing for sure.
Old October 3, 2014, 11:34 PM   #5
campingnights

Thanks guys! I appreciate hearing from someone who actually used one. Didn't intend to order one yet, but then I figured better to get one from Midway now, while they are on clearence. There a bit over $130 right now. Should be fun. All the stink, smoke, and thud of black powder, but without fumbling powder/wads/balls/caps and such.

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old October 3, 2014, 11:39 PM   #6
campingnights

The deed is done. My conversion cylinder is on the way.

Old October 3, 2014, 11:45 PM   #7
TemboTusk

Good for you! You'll never look back!

www.TemboTusk.com
Old October 4, 2014, 01:21 AM   #8
Bishop Creek

You'll love it. If it is for a .45 try loading a .451 round ball into a .45 Long Colt or .45 Schofield case filled with black powder and a cartridge card or a piece of beeswax/Crisco combo melted together and cut with an empty .45 case under the ball. Works great!
Old October 9, 2014, 06:21 PM   #9
campingnights

Got my conversion cylinder today. Seems to drop right in and all the positions are indexing properly. Looks good. I'm real happy with it and looking forward to my 45 ammo being delivered soon. Might take awhile to reload, but I'm not so much in a hurry anyway.

Old October 9, 2014, 06:41 PM   #10
noelf2

Which ammo did you go with?
Old October 9, 2014, 08:28 PM   #11
Tidewater_Kid

If possible, please post pictures!

TK
Old October 9, 2014, 09:48 PM   #12
campingnights

Noelf, I went with Bone Orchard 45 long colt. Selway Armory had them for $25 a box. Its "smokey" ammo, whatever that is. Pretty decent price actually.

Tidewater, I'll see if I can get a decent pic.

Old October 26, 2014, 09:52 PM   #13
campingnights

Had a beautiful fall day at the range with my eldest son and grandson. Colors, leaves drifting down, surely heaven must look something like this. I had thought the conversion cylinder would be awkward to use, but it wasn't. Little finagling to get it back in after each reload, but still less awkward than loose powder, patch and ball. I'm a convert, it's the best ofboth worlds. The Bone Orchard "smokey" ammo did not seem much more smokey than regular ammo. Soon as I can get dies and large pistol primers I will surely be reloading long colt black powder cartridges. A great day

Old October 27, 2014, 12:08 AM   #14
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

So which cylinder did you buy? The six shot 45 Colt cylinder that Taylors markets or the 5 shot 45 Colt cylinder that Ken Howell is selling these days from his Old West Conversions company.

You might want to take a look at this thread, which has been running at The High Road for a few days now.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=763885
Old October 27, 2014, 05:03 AM   #15
campingnights

I have the 6 shot marked Taylors on the box. Accurscy is better than me, it shoots right where I aim it (not necessarily where I want to hit it). A bit low at 25 yards, but I didn't bring a file with me yesterday. Really bucked with the old 20 plus year factory ammo I burned, the Bone Orchard was much more pleasant to shoot however. The cylindar is extremely strong as one of my old factory smokeless rounds split its case. I only noticed as the case was harder to push out. Only one round did that, figure must have been a weak spot on the case. Fun, Safe, Easy to use, can't ask for more. The high road link was quite interrsting, thanks

Old October 27, 2014, 08:49 AM   #16
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy Again

I have two Remmies fitted with the same cylinder. Those cylinders are specifically rated for Cowboy Loads! I would be leery of shooting standard factory loads in them. Particularly if one split a case!

Never heard of Bone Orchard before. Looked them up on the web. As long as they are mild Cowboy loads they should be fine in your R&D cylinder. Dunno about "smokey powder to give our shooters the authentic sight, smell, and feel of yesteryear." Sounds like a lot of hooey to me. Real Black Powder was the 'authentic' load when the 45 Colt was invented in 1873. Real Black Powder produces lots of smoke and sulfur smell, the real 'feel of yesteryear'.
Old October 28, 2014, 04:19 AM   #17
campingnights

Hey Driftwood, based on burning a box of Bone Orchard ammo, it IS a bunch of hooey. Didn't seem all that "smokey" to me. I agree there is just nothing like black powder. That's what these casings will be reloaded with, eventually. Happy trails

Old January 12, 2015, 01:02 PM   #18
campingnights

Its been a few months and I have had time to thoughly try out the conversion cylindar in my Remmy. I got to say that there is no thought of going back to loose powder and ball. I'm comfortable with putting the cylindar in and out and have found the converted Remmy completely reliable. It has become my favorite gun. Kinda wish I hadn't bought the 357 Cimarron Frontier (a big mistake) and had got another Remmy conversion while they were still cheap. Oh well hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it?

Thanks guys for all the input, just wanted to say it is appreciated.

Old January 12, 2015, 09:59 PM   #19
Tidewater_Kid

Glad you are enjoying your revolver. I really like mine. I use Trail Boss and light bullets. I have fired it with loose powder and balls just to say I did it. I want to get a conversion cylinder for my 1860 now.

TK
Old January 13, 2015, 09:05 AM   #20
noelf2

Quote:
Kinda wish I hadn't bought the 357 Cimarron Frontier (a big mistake) and had got another Remmy conversion while they were still cheap.
They'll be cheap again, just keep an eye out.