The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 7, 2015, 12:16 PM   #1
ZVP

The New West?

Thank goodness, it appears that gunmakers and gun nuts alike are keeping it alive!
Manufacturers have introduced some fine new Henry Models Ruger let out a new "short" Bearcat and Uberti just had a write-up in Gunslingers new Magazine about their new full size ModelP in 12 shot .22 LR!
Can all this signal a change in opinion from the Rules Folks at the CAS groups to develop a sub category for the .22LR?
With full caliber guns all topping well over $600, mostly $700+ and up and rifles costing over a grand, maybe it's time to let the lowly .22 in? Sure would be neat to get started relatively inexpensively and upgrade later!
The RF is still out there, a little harder to find and much higher to buy, Often times with restrictions of 3 boxes but it's still out there!
Heck just for th love of the Old West these many new offerings will give an alternative to bullet spraying, jamming, Striker fired semi autos.
Just to be able to slow it down and enjoy shooting again would be neat!
I did it another way, I went to Black Powder shooting and the slow down sure is nice! You handle, spend time loading and generally get more fun out of your Guns instead of constantly stuffing magazines full with nothing to show from it but a sore thumb!
I sure hope I am reading this movement correctly! The shooting world does need to slow down and ejoy it all more!
JMHO
ZVP
Old January 7, 2015, 05:29 PM   #2
FrontierGander

inexpensive my rear end! 22's cost more than my mosin nagant ammo and a heck of a lot harder to find.
Old January 7, 2015, 06:18 PM   #3
Model12Win

^ +1

Mosins FTW!

But, I'm glad there are still many companies making "Old West" style firearms. The one I really like are the authentic reproductions made by the like of Uberti, Pedersoli, and others that "make em' like the used to". The new style Rugers are cool, but inauthentic. Same with some other companies.
Old January 7, 2015, 06:41 PM   #4
BerdanSS

I've got about a 5 gallon bucket worth of loose .22 lr. I shoot 'em fast enough since all but one of my .22s are bolt actions. (some of those are single shots.
I'm really starting to eye a brace of those Uberti Stallions. Man those look slick

Wish someone would come out with a .22 1860 Henry
Old January 7, 2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Texas Reb

I've given up on 22 shells. they used to be a dollar a box and were everywhere. Now you can't find them and when you do, places gouge you. I simply refuse to pay 7 bucks a box for 22. I have a new 10/22 that I bought a little over a year ago on a whim. At the time, I was unaware that 22 shells were hard to find. I'm not cheap, I just hate to be gouged.
Old January 7, 2015, 07:56 PM   #6
FrontierGander

only $7!!! They are $10 for a box of 50 here.
Old January 7, 2015, 08:14 PM   #7
Texas Reb

I haven't priced any in over a year.
Old January 7, 2015, 09:49 PM   #8
B.L.E.

The .22 rimfire situation seems to be getting better, my local gunstore frequently has it in stock, at pre-panic prices.
Now if I could only buy Red Dot or any suitable smokeless powder for my shotgun.
Old January 7, 2015, 11:26 PM   #9
denster

.22 is rapidly becoming available. At least online. Midway has plenty of bricks of CCI standard velocity at $39.95ea. KY Guns has mini-mags 9.99/hundred with a twenty five box limit.
Old January 8, 2015, 09:59 AM   #10
aarondhgraham

The Stallion is not full size,,,

Be aware of the size difference between the two,,,
I almost ordered a Stallion before I knew about the frame size.

The Stallion is smaller than a true SAA reproduction,,,
The Cattleman is the same size frame as a true SAA reproduction.

I did get my hands on a Stallion,,,
It's about the same as my Colt Frontier Scout.

I recently (Nov 14) purchased an Uberti Cattleman in .22 LR (6-shot) through Taylor's & Co.
Mine is the same size and shape as my Interarms Dakota in .357 Magnum.

The .22 Uberti is the top pistol,,,
The .357 Dakota is the bottom gun.

I've only been able to get to the range with it one time,,,
But it ran 8 cylinders of Remington without a hitch,,,
I put all of the shots in a 6" circle at 25 yards,,,
Not Annie Oakley shooting but good for me.

I'm happy with mine.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 8, 2015, 10:45 AM   #11
Trum4n1208

I'm with Model 12 here. I'm happy that I, as a fairly young fella, still have the chance to shoot these fantastic and elegant weapons, even if they aren't originals. The companies may not be perfect, but I'm still happy as a clam with companies like Uberti, Pietta, and Pedersoli, as their products have brought me a lot of happiness.

I have nothing against the Rugers. If I had to use one to defend my life, I would trust it to do so, and thats about the highest praise you could give a gun, but I don't much love them. I love these guns for the historic aspect, and the Ruger just doesn't have that.
Old January 10, 2015, 10:03 AM   #12
g.willikers

Can[t find .22 ammo, or don't want to pay the new prices?
Lookee here:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Colt_S...ver_Blued/3569
Old January 10, 2015, 01:09 PM   #13
Jbar4Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.L.E.
Now if I could only buy Red Dot or any suitable smokeless powder for my shotgun.
I bought a couple pounds of Red Dot at Sportsman's Warehouse a month back - there was more. They also had an 8 pound jug of Bullseye on the shelf. The Red Dot was $18.99/lb with my veteran's discount and the Bullseye was priced at $129.99.

SASS 47015
Old January 10, 2015, 01:50 PM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

Midway is taking backorders of Remington 1,400 count buckets of 22 LR. $79.99 postage free but if you type in the discount code NEWYEAR, you can get $8 off. I just backordered a bucket yesterday.
Old January 10, 2015, 03:09 PM   #15
ZVP

I'd LOVE to get a .38Spl Stallion! What a perfect " Super Bearcat"!
I love the old Single Actions, especally the C&B Black Powder guns! You handle them a LOT while loading and look at em, inspect the desigh and appreciate the asthetics so much more with them!
OH and the smoke and Fire!!!
Cartrige fed S/A revolvers, the same but clean-up is easier!
I hope the old West stays alive a long, long time to come!
Old January 10, 2015, 05:23 PM   #16
Gaucho Gringo

I just tried and it said no backorders.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old January 10, 2015, 06:34 PM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sorry Gaucho Gringo. I guess they closed it earlier today or late yesterday.
Old January 10, 2015, 09:43 PM   #18
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbar4Ranch
I bought a couple pounds of Red Dot at Sportsman's Warehouse a month back - there was more. They also had an 8 pound jug of Bullseye on the shelf. The Red Dot was $18.99/lb with my veteran's discount and the Bullseye was priced at $129.99.
Good for you, Red Dot and other shotgun powders have for some reason been unobtainium where I live. Cabelas did have a couple of 4 lb jugs of Hi Skor 700X and I bought one of them, it looks like my shotgun will be burning 700X for the next 1600-1700 rounds. Maybe by then, the buying panic will be over and I will be able to buy my choice of shotshell powders, who knows, I might even grow to like 700X.
Old January 13, 2015, 08:28 AM   #19
Magnum Wheel Man

fastest growing segment of my collection... single action revolvers...

in particular, I've really come to love the open top Colt style looks & handling, & just completed a matching pair of Pietta 51 Navies, that were converted to 38 Long Colt ( & they are quickly become a pair of my favorites ) but don't get me wrong... I still love my Ruger's, & there is such a "solid & confident" feel to them...

to go back to the OP's comment about the 12 round 22's... be wary of the high capacity single action 22... I bought a new stainless Ruger Single 10, & I just really did not like it... maybe I envisioned shooting it like a double action, but I found the chamber holes too close, the clicks didn't line up with the chambers, so if I was trying to hurry unloading, so I could reload, I often went just a tiny bit too far, & had to fully rotate the cylinder to pick up a missed empty... ( I'd suspect the 12 rounder would be no better, & even possibly worse )... I ended up converting my Single 10 to center fire, & re-chambered to an 8 shot 257 special ( 22 Hornet cases straightened out, & trimmed to 38 special length, & loaded with .257 bullets )

I'm seeing 22 ammo on the shelf a lot more lately, but I've pretty much distanced myself from the 22 ( I still have many guns chambered in 22, but will likely start trading them off in the future )

but if I were buying a single action 22, it would be a 6 shot, both because it's more traditional, but also because they are easier to load & unload, since the chambers are spaced at a more user friendly distance...

I do have a Henry lever action 22 on my "too buy" list, but I keep bumping it down the list, as I refuse to buy a gun in that caliber, while there is still a "shortage" of ammo in that caliber...