The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 1, 2015, 09:19 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Pedersoli "twice as good" as Ardesa?

As some know I've been looking into BP historical replicas. I've found a shop in Germany that may also be able to supply me with a ML rifle. One is a Pedersoli made Hawken rifle, .54 cal, €500. The other is an Ardesa made "ranger rifle", €229.

I know that people rate Pedersoli but are they so good that I should ignore the Ardesa at over half the price?
NB: I have seen online that Ardesa are sold in the US under the trade name of "Traditions" firearms.

Also does Pedersoli have perhaps better after-sales care or spares such as the 209 cap converter?

It is also worth noting that the Ardesa is .45 cal which is much easier to source lead projectiles for.

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; January 1, 2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old January 1, 2015, 09:32 AM   #2
Hawg

I would say that Pedersoli is a good 20 times better than Ardesa. They're not even in the same league.
Old January 7, 2015, 10:54 PM   #3
ihctractor

Apples to oranges comparison. Try to go to a gun store that stocks both. Once you see and hold them side by side you won't want the Traditions.
Old January 8, 2015, 12:13 PM   #4
Snyper

Quote:
One is a Pedersoli made Hawken rifle, .54 cal, €500.
I'd suggest buying a gun in .50 caliber due to being able to find projectiles and accessories much easier

Pedersoli has a reputation for making fine guns

Traditions is what I consider a cheap "off-brand"
Old January 8, 2015, 06:49 PM   #5
Hawg

I think you'll like the .54 much better than the .50. I know I do.
Old January 8, 2015, 08:36 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I've read and looked at Pedersoli weaponry in pictures and on-line they are very appealing to the eye and as told well built too. But honestly. If you are willing to part with 15-1600.00 as wanted for that Pedersoli. Consider having a US custom rifle builder design a rifle especially for you. No doubt that custom built rifle would be a finely tuned balanced most well fitting and accurate B/P Piece you could ever hope to shoulder. Whether it be a 50 54 or a 58 cal chosen. A rifle of such origin could be {at your discretion} truly a one of a kind.
Old January 8, 2015, 10:51 PM   #7
DennisCA

That's a bit harsh

"Snyper - Traditions is what I consider a cheap "off-brand"

I own two Traditions firearms (a rifle and a pistol) and can tell you there is nothing "cheap" about them. The quality is very good - now is it a Pedersoli? Of course it isn't but for the causal shooter (like me) that can't afford a Pedersoli but can't afford the price tag the Traditions works just fine.
Traditions also has a great warranty and great customer service.

Being that said - IF I had the money (which I don't) I would get a Pedersoli in a New York minute. However I would not hesitate recommend a Traditions product to anyone (which I have all ready).

Last edited by DennisCA; January 9, 2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old January 9, 2015, 02:23 PM   #8
eastbank

i bought a pedersoli blue ridge several years ago, a .50 flintlock used for 300.00 after the owner let me take it for a week end to try it. and the next year i sold two TC flintlocks. the blue ridge uses 7/8" flints and the frizzen is large and is a super sparker, some thing the TC,s weren,t, as i had to always fiddle with the fizzens. oh sure TC would send you a new that pooped out or you could have it rehardened to last a little longer. i have killed eight deer with the pedersoli and have had no problems at all with the frizzen(thats the heart of a rock lock). i do have a renagrade .54 caplock,a .58 big bore caplock and a seneca .45 caplock and they work as caplocks only have to hit the cone(nipple) to set the powder charge off. eastbank.
Old January 10, 2015, 05:17 PM   #9
eastbank

shoot off on the last day of muzzle loader season.

as i had filled my muzzle loading tag the other week i helped drive(no rifle carried) this morning, when we started at daylight it was 6 degrees and when they wanted to stop at 10:00 am it was 16 degrees and we all stopped at the farm to unload the rifles, my rifle had been setting on the porch loaded since daylight as i had loaded it when i had filled my tag last week. i will not mention the names of the other rifles my friends had, but my pedersoli .50 fired eight times with eight pulls of the trigger, the others didn,t make eight shots. we all were allowed to wipe the frizzens and flint off and use a pick to make sure the touch hole was open. the test may have not been quite fair as the others are not realy flintlock shooters, but only want to hunt longer in the seasons. eastbank.