The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 6, 2010, 04:29 PM   #26
Allison

Thanks for the welcome, Doc.
Am thinking about stripping the gun, polishing the metal and
browning it. Might look a bit better.
Old November 6, 2010, 07:30 PM   #27
Doc Hoy

Allison

The choice of finish is a matter of personal preference.

As it happens I just came up from the shop where I was working on a barrel I will be putting a finish on. This barrel will be either blued or left white and polished. I have always been partial to white steel and have never seen a browned revolver that I truly admired.

But as I say, it is a very personal opinion.

If your barrel is as poorly finished as mine was, you have a distance to go. I made a jig to hold a barrel in the lathe and then used 100 grit paper to put a good cross hatch on the barrel just like you would do when honing a cylinder of an engine. (The barrel I am working on is from a Leech and Rigdon and therefore is mostly round so putting it in a lathe works.) If you hold the paper still it only makes the barrel worse.

The tool marks in the barrel I am working on are so deep that taking them off required cutting so deep with the paper that it made the barrel markings look bad. So I decided to defarb the barrel completely. I think I am about half finished.
Old November 7, 2010, 09:17 AM   #28
Allison

Doc:

That sounds like a good idea. I stripped my Spiller and Burr and left it in the white and really like the look of it.
Old November 7, 2010, 09:19 AM   #29
Doc Hoy

Allison

I just posted photos of the jig I made up on the "Smithy" forum which I am using in the lathe to smooth the barrel.

Obviously it has very limited value for an octagon barrel, but it sure works good on a round barrel.
Old November 17, 2010, 02:50 PM   #30
bprevolver

FIE, PR, and GB

I posted this same information on a thread that Fingers started but it seems to be appropriate here as well.

That GB marking is one that I have also have been trying to identify for many years. Along with the PR marking it is one of the most elusive markings around. Several have speculated what it is but no actual documentation.

I recently picked up an 1851 Army (Navy but .44cal.) with steel case hardened frame on Gun Broker with three different length barrels, 12”, 7 ½”, and 5”. The barrels all have the same serial number as the revolver. EMF sold these back in the early 1980’s as a set. I have a copy of their ad for this revolver set from an old Gun List, November, 1980. It has the Italian proof marks and the “PR” marking on the butt and that is all. This indicates to me that “PR” was an Italian manufacturer and not an importer/distributor marking.

A while back I ask Boyd Davis, founder of EMF, about this set. He did not remember having it in their inventory but wasn’t surprised that EMF may have offered it. It was part of the “one up man ship" game that all the importers/distributors were involved in, in order to compete in the late 1970’s-80’s. It was EMF and Navy Arms who also offered the 3rd Model Dragoon with the 18” barrel, shoulder stock, and holster.

I had this three barrel set on a list that I keep of items known to exist but did not expect to ever see because of its’ uniqueness and rarity. I thought this of the 18” barrel Dragoons as well but have since run across only five of these in 17yrs. RPRCA has three of these in its collection. Who knows how long it may be before another three barrel set, completely in tact may again appear.
Old November 17, 2010, 03:04 PM   #31
Doc Hoy

BPRevolver

Nice to read your name on the board once more.

Also, I wonder if that DG is actually DGG that was on the ASPs for a while. I never personally examined the authentic marking. Do I remember correctly that in that case, it refered to Gordone (SP?) who I assume was a principle in the manufacturing operation?

Last edited by Doc Hoy; November 17, 2010 at 03:33 PM.