The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 8, 2007, 12:26 AM   #1
Camguy

Locking up a suppressor

I'm saving to buy an SWR Trident. I know part of the process is for a LEO to visit your home to make sure the can is secured adequately. I've got the deadbolts on the doors, secure windows, etc. Will locking it in a drawer in my home office be enough, or do I have to get an actual gunsafe? I mean, no one can get into the drawer without an axe, but if anyone can tell me if my local LEO will be satisfied with this I'd apprecitae it.
Old November 8, 2007, 12:32 AM   #2
Zak Smith

There is no requirement for any type of inspection.
Old November 8, 2007, 12:38 AM   #3
Camguy

Well, that's news to me. Are you sure? I spoke to a fellow at the range with one for his Walther, and he said that was the deal, and I thought I'd read that somewhere in my research. Hey, if it's on the internet it must be true, right?
Old November 8, 2007, 12:45 AM   #4
Zak Smith

For an FFL, there is a premises inspection.

For simply an NFA item on a Form 1 or Form 4, you don't even technically need CLEO signoff if you do a corporate transfer.
Old November 8, 2007, 01:09 AM   #5
Camguy

Thanks a bunch. I'm definitely looking into the trust transfer deal, even though my can guy said the CLEO would be no sweat here in Arlingon VA.
Thanks again. I'm glad I'm not the only nut on this forum at 1:00 am!
Old November 8, 2007, 01:13 AM   #6
fspic

That type of inspection process (for firearms generally) sounds like something they would have in England for instance. Your problem involving possession is not to wander off into a state where they are banned and be found with it in your possession without being in a "traveling through" situation. They are banned in Illinois but I've wondered if I could own one in Wisconsin (if kept there).
Old November 8, 2007, 01:27 AM   #7
Camguy

Well, good enough then. Certainly as a "Senior Member" I can assume you know whereof you speak.
Again, thanks for the help.
Old November 8, 2007, 03:10 AM   #8
Camguy

fspic, thanks for your info as well. This is a teriffic forum.
Old November 8, 2007, 12:13 PM   #9
MisterPX

VA may have state laws dealing with an "inspection", though there isn't one federally.
Old November 8, 2007, 05:10 PM   #10
82ndtrooper

I've had a couple of suppressors transferred through the process into my possession and this is the first I've heard of any type "in house" inspection by a Chief of law Enforcement or County Sheriff.

Who told you this ? Your Chief of Police ? your Sheriff ? If that's the case, then he or she is stepping over a line of his or her authority for NFA type transfers.

I'd ask some different questions and see I couldn't back them into a corner with admitting that the inspection is just of their own making.

But, then again I'm clever like that and I can hold my own with any of these LEO types here in my AO.
Old November 8, 2007, 06:38 PM   #11
David Hineline

Any NFA dealer could answer all your questions

John Appleton Co, Inc. / The Gun Shop at Front Royal

Specialties: Class 3
28 East Jackson Street
Front Royal, VA 22630
Phone: (540) 635-0455 Tuesday through Saturday, 10-5 Eastern
E-mail: [email protected]
http://www.erols.com/apple1co/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Battlefield Sports Ltd.
Attn: John K. Brown
Specialties: Class 3
4451 Brookfield Corporate Drive
Chantilly, VA 20151
Phone: (703) 263-7676
FAX: (703) 753-9246
Homepage: N/A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D & R Arms
Specialties: Class 2
3008 Tyre Neck Road
Portsmouth, VA 23703
Phone: (757) 483-6948
FAX: (757) 484-4543
Homepage: N/A

International Police Supply
Specialties: Class 3 Sales, Tactical Training.
International Police Supply
Woodbridge, VA 22192
http://www.internationalpolicesupply.net
Old November 9, 2007, 12:41 AM   #12
Camguy

As always, I'm grateful for all the terrific advice. 82ndtrooper, it was the guy with the can I talked to at the range who told me that. I'll ask the FFL guy I'll buy it through about that.
Old November 9, 2007, 06:31 PM   #13
JMC

Quote:
I'm saving to buy an SWR Trident. I know part of the process is for a LEO to visit your home to make sure the can is secured adequately. I've got the deadbolts on the doors, secure windows, etc. Will locking it in a drawer in my home office be enough, or do I have to get an actual gunsafe? I mean, no one can get into the drawer without an axe, but if anyone can tell me if my local LEO will be satisfied with this I'd apprecitae it.
Total misinformation.

While true that the suppressor has to be secured when not in use, and only available to you, no one is going to come knocking on your door to see where you secured it.
My Sheriff asks each time I interview with him before he signs my Form 4, how I'm going to secure it. I give him the same exact answer and he is pleased and signs off on the Form 4.
Old November 10, 2007, 12:45 AM   #14
raymond-

MisterPX has the right idea. Though it's easy for folks to chime in to say "BS"
they do so from their own perspective...and from a state other than VA.
What is factual many local laws *do* have restrictions on the ownership
of Title 2 firearms. It would be prudent for Camguy to check out the specifics
...and start by contacting a C2 or C3 who should have insight into the ideo-
syncracies and hoops set up by Virginia.
Old November 17, 2007, 01:58 PM   #15
GLP Standard

I think maybe what happened was you misunderstood him, or he has the wrong idea thus giving you misinformation. Im not 100% sure because I am not one myself, and dont know anyone who is. This is just something I read on the internet, but Im pretty sure that when you have a Class III license, ATF requires access to all your title 2 firearms. This means an agent can knock on your door, anytime, day or night and request to look at your weapons. Perhaps this is what he was thinking of? Someone up there ^ said that this is also true for FFL Dealers, but I didnt know it was true for them as well.
Old November 17, 2007, 02:22 PM   #16
VUPDblue

Quote:
I think maybe what happened was you misunderstood him, or he has the wrong idea thus giving you misinformation. Im not 100% sure because I am not one myself, and dont know anyone who is. This is just something I read on the internet, but Im pretty sure that when you have a Class III license, ATF requires access to all your title 2 firearms. This means an agent can knock on your door, anytime, day or night and request to look at your weapons. Perhaps this is what he was thinking of? Someone up there ^ said that this is also true for FFL Dealers, but I didnt know it was true for them as well.
Only Class3 FFL/SOT dealers are subject to inspection from ATF. Individuals who legally own NFA items are NOT subject to random inspections. This is probably the single largest misconception of NFA laws. I think that this would also be the #1 reason why most people think NFA items are unobtainable. They fall victim the the myth that ATF can invade your privacy any time they wish just because you own NFA items. This is totally not true. Without a warrant, ATF has no buisness coming to your home to 'inspect' your weapons. If one would actually dedicate a few extra brain waves to that scenario, one would come to the logical conclusion of: " why on earth would ATF knock on my door at random just to make sure that the M16 I paid $10,000 for is still there..."