The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 9, 2002, 01:26 PM   #1
Aragorn

dunno if it belongs here but- can you help a newbee on self defence technique

using knife and flashlight- here is what i edc-
a rreally bright surefire- 9v - 200lum or 105lum
a really sharp knife (along the lines of a crawford casper or m16 03 ) that is a fast opener

i am 19 and guns are out of the question- i may be able to get a pistol to edc for defence purposes but i wont lie- i couldnt shoot someone - the end resulult would be them taking the gun from me and killing me.

OC spray - nadda- i fear it will go off and get me on accident. besides it serves no other purpose and most times is dead weight.

i have a tall and fairly thin build and dont know how i might fair against a big attacker- so advise me please.
Old June 9, 2002, 01:46 PM   #2
Gunter

I hope you realize that sticking someone with a knife is a very much more personal thing than shooting them. Do you have prior experience with knives? Anything to do with hunting?

Otherwise, take a knife class from Andy Stanford at OPS or other knowledgable instructor.

Also remember the rule "don't take a knife to a gun fight".
Old June 9, 2002, 05:25 PM   #3
Halffast

Gunter said it. If you couldn't shoot someone that is trying to harm you, you are not going to be able to cut or stab them. I would buy a good pair of Nikes and practice my running. You may want to consider a good unarmed SD course or a MMA class.

David

Shameless Personal Plug - Read "Lights Out" A SHTF Novel in progress, by me.

Molon Labe!
Old June 9, 2002, 06:37 PM   #4
David Blinder

Before taking any measures, it sounds like you need some help with mindset. You say you couldn't shoot someone but you don't say why you couldn't. Is your life worth less than an attackers? Wouldn't your death or serious injury cause pain to someone? Give some serious thought to what you think is worth fighting (or killing) for. If you decide the answer is nothing, then learn to be a good victim.