The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 26, 2018, 06:34 AM   #1
tsillik

Hand gun storage ?

Does anybody use cigar boxes for storing your handguns in ? They look to be about the right size, and you could stack them on top of each other. terry
Old November 26, 2018, 08:30 AM   #2
Screwball

I don’t, but just something to watch out for... guns weigh more than cigars. Depending on numbers, stacking may cause the bottom boxes to crush, and possibly cause the stack to fall.

Your mileage may vary, but if I have guns without cases, either I get a soft case or jump on eBay and find a cheap factory one. My S&W 1006 fit into that category... and the case I found was like $10, and matched the ones for my two M&Ps and 642-1. Most manufacturers make their cases so they fit while stacking.
Old November 26, 2018, 08:38 AM   #3
USNRet93

ebay lists a ton of factory handgun cases, some as low as $3..Glock..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 26, 2018, 10:21 AM   #4
Reloadron

I just use racks like this for handgun storage in my safe. They sit on the upper shelves in my safe and any handguns I have the boxes for lay on the top of the safe. There is a wide variety of similar racks to be had, my link is merely an example. The safe has great temperature and humidity control so they just sit in there. Less space than stacking boxes and right now safe space is at a premium and I need another safe.

Ron
Old November 26, 2018, 10:32 AM   #5
FITASC

^ Yep, so do I and each is in a silicone sock
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 26, 2018, 11:29 AM   #6
Reloadron

Nice added touch with the silicon socks.

Ron
Old November 26, 2018, 03:43 PM   #7
Dufus

My Granny stored her handy dandy 38 S&W in a cigar box for prolly close to 20 years before her passing. It stayed by her side and bed all those years with no problems at all.
Old November 26, 2018, 06:25 PM   #8
Drm50

I have a couple dozen cigar boxes that I store gun parts in. If you don't keep the
little nail that holds lid shut in place the boxes with crush out if stacked on each other. Just keeping a pistol in cigar box would be OK as long as not stacked up.
I bought some guns this summer that had been on ongoing thing for 3 or 4 years. Guy inherited the guns wanted to sell them and just was to lazy to bring
them up. All guns were stored in hard cases with the egg carton foam linings.
These guns " were" in top condition when he got them. When he brought them
up the top sides looked like a new gun, bottom sides of all were rusted and had
places they pitted. Guns should be stored in cases that can breathe if you live in
a climate that has big temperature & humidity swings. Tight plastic cases will
premote condensation under these conditions. Can provide a nasty surprise if
you aren't careful.
Old November 26, 2018, 07:23 PM   #9
tsillik

I see what you mean on the carboard boxes, but the store I have talked to also has wooden ones, which shouldn't crush. terry
Old November 26, 2018, 08:29 PM   #10
Cosmodragoon

Factory cases are often good but some manufacturers make them with goofy shapes or contours that don't stack well. It also isn't always an option when buying guns on the used market. Cigar boxes vary in construction but some of the sturdier wooden ones could work. Some guns actually come in cardboard and every once in a while, you might come across a sturdy cardboard box that is the perfect size for whatever gun. That can work so long as you aren't stacking them to some ridiculous height or stacking cases of ammo on top of them. I actually store my gun cases like books on a book shelf so some of these concerns don't affect me.

The bottom line is that any gun should be periodically checked, cleaned, and lubricated. If you have multiple handguns, consider putting yourself on a maintenance schedule for them. It can be a regular rotation or a big cleaning and lubrication party. Whatever it is, just do it.
Old November 27, 2018, 08:01 AM   #11
Reloadron

Cosmodragoon:
Quote:
The bottom line is that any gun should be periodically checked, cleaned, and lubricated. If you have multiple handguns, consider putting yourself on a maintenance schedule for them. It can be a regular rotation or a big cleaning and lubrication party. Whatever it is, just do it.
That's it in a nutshell and especially true of guns in a box or package. Every now and then give them a good looking over. Even if just a wipe down with a silicon cloth.

Ron
Old November 28, 2018, 05:11 PM   #12
ChasHam

I recall being advised against storing handguns in holsters or zippered pistol rugs because of rusting. I store mine in thick white cotton sweat socks- unworn of course.

The heel fits nicely over the hammer/rear sight area that eventually wears a hole in the sock but hey, they're cheap. Over time, they absorb a little gun oil, Break Free, WD-40, etc.
Old November 28, 2018, 08:41 PM   #13
osbornk

My handguns sit loose in my little cash/will/ document safe where they stay clean and dry. My long guns are in a locked wormy chestnut gun cabinet where they stay clean and dry (I live in a safe area and don't worry about it). All of my guns still look like new.