The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 21, 2018, 08:37 PM   #1
5pins

Sig Sauer 10mm 180gr V-Crown in Clear Ballistics Gel

Test Gun: Delta Elite
Barrel length: 5 inches.
Ammunition: Sig Sauer 10mm 180gr V-Crown.
Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: PACT 1 XP with inferred sky screens.
Five shot velocity average: 1189fps
Gel Temperature 72 degrees.

I have tested the Sig V-Crown several times and have been less than impressed with their performance. So it was with some hesitation that I pick up a box of 10mm and .357 sig when I had the opportunity. In fact, after the .357 Magnum test, I had decided to not to try them anymore. But I decided to give them one more chance while at the same time not expecting much.

I got a five-round average velocity of 1189fps with a high of 1205 and a low of 1176fps.

Round one in the Clear gel had a velocity of 1222fps and penetrated to 18 inches. The expansion was .71 inches and a recovered weight of 177.3 grains. Round two's velocity was 1186fps and penetrated to 16.5 inches. The expansion was also .17 inches and the recovered weight was 177.6 grains.

The V-Crowns seem to have problems with the clothing test and wile not a complete failer the results were mixed. The first round's velocity was not recorded with the chronograph. It penetrated to 25 inches with a recovered diameter of .61 inches and weighted 177.8 grains. The velocity of the second round 1206fps and it penetrated to 19.5 inches. Recovered weight was 177.1 grains and the diameter was .65 inches.