The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 19, 2020, 04:49 PM   #1
jimku

Taurus haters?

Is this forum biased against Taurus with moderators browbeating those who post positive things about Taurus? I am asking because if so, I do not belong on this forum and want no part of it.
Old June 19, 2020, 07:39 PM   #2
Dave Chuppa

I’ve had 12 Taurus Revolvers. I like them and miss some that I have sold. I have 2 at this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C9E68D4C-DD06-4F95-8070-B5AEDA3AE382.jpeg (319.6 KB, 88 views)
Old June 19, 2020, 07:40 PM   #3
shoebox1.1

From what I’ve read the ol 66 is a badddd boy and a KEEPER
Old June 19, 2020, 07:42 PM   #4
jfruser

Meh, Taurus has earned the "spotty" reviews its products have earned.

I say this as the owner of a Taurus product that was a drama queen I finally slapped into line as a decent weapon. I am keeping it, but I can not suggest Taurus to other folks.
Old June 19, 2020, 08:11 PM   #5
EIGHTYDUECE

They are not known for the greatest quality control. They are not all bad though. I have owned four of their revolvers and still own two with one being my night stand gun. I regret selling the other two.

My night stand gun. Model 66 w/ 2 1/2" barrel .357 Mag

Model 82 .38 Special

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old June 19, 2020, 08:19 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Not sure it is a particular bias of the moderators. But there are quite a few here with a sever case of TDS. Taurus Derangement Syndrome. A mental disorder brought on because some guns don't have an "accepted" brand name, or are not made in an "accpted" country. It is a disorder closely related to Gun Snobbery. A disorder of it's own that manifests itself in the belief that one must attain a certain financial level before daring to enter the realm of gun ownership.
These ailments tend to flair up with mentions of things like Taurus, Hi-Point, Herritage, Armscore, and Windicator to name a few!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 19, 2020, 08:27 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

The vast majority of Taurus firearms are fine. If not, Taurus wouldn't be in business.
I have a couple and they are great.
Old June 19, 2020, 08:41 PM   #8
biblethumpncop

I have a stainless Taurus 3" 431 .44spl. My friend has a Smith 696 3" .44spl he bought after shooting my 431. The action and trigger on my 431 is slightly smoother and lighter than his 696. The fit and finish is on par with his Smith which cost more than twice what my gun cost.
Old June 19, 2020, 08:42 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Is this forum biased against Taurus with moderators browbeating those who post positive things about Taurus?
Not that I've noticed. If you think a moderator is being unfairly biased, report it. If they are abusing their authority, report it!

But don't confuse a personal opinion with an official policy.
Old June 19, 2020, 08:44 PM   #10
ThomasT

I have owned 10-12 Taurus revolvers and not a single problem with any of them. I sold them because I thought I needed something else. I have owned a couple of the model 66 and model 82 like posted above and about 5 model 85s. I wish I had everyone of them back. Especially the last model 85 I had. My bud has it and he won't sell it back to me. Smart man.

Taurus has had some legitimate complaints. I have seen some pics here of just horrible rifling and chambers. How it got out the door is anyones guess. But if buying a Taurus I would suggest having it in hand so you can give it a good inspection. I'm not sure I would buy one off GB or other online seller without looking at it first. But overall they are quality guns. I like the ones from the late 1980s and 90s with the wood grips. I always thought they were the best.
Old June 19, 2020, 08:46 PM   #11
USSR

Quote:
Is this forum biased against Taurus with moderators browbeating those who post positive things about Taurus?
What kind of question is that? Moderators, like most people, may have their opinions one way or the other about a lot of things, but "browbeating" someone for their choice of firearm. Hardly.

Don
Old June 19, 2020, 09:21 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

You disappeared for 3 years, only to come back to post something like that?
...With no references, examples, or links.

Who's got your goat?
Old June 20, 2020, 05:20 AM   #13
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
They are not known for the greatest quality control. They are not all bad though.
That has always been my problem with them. When I was in the industry, my shop made waves for completely cutting off the brand.

We had good reason. "Out of the box" failure rates were around 20%, and some of the defects were pretty serious. When I had the chance to talk to a Taurus exec, his response was, "we're increasing our customer-service staff." No mention of quality control, which was the issue. We got sick of returning their stuff, so we stopped carrying them all around.

The company absolutely can make a good firearm. If one of their guns works well out of the box, it's a keeper. Our problem was the percentage of guns that didn't.

Quote:
I've never seen that, and if it comes up, please report it.
Old June 20, 2020, 06:02 AM   #14
jetinteriorguy

I’ve owned three Taurus and one Rossi. First was a stainless snub, model 85 stainless snub. Forgot my bore light so didn’t notice the rough bore with bad chatter marks. It did shoot just fine, functioned fine, but no matter what I tried it always shot 3-4” to the left for me so I traded it off. Next was a PT111G2, and once again no bore light with and it also had a rough bore, but it functioned fine. It was a bad fit for me and I just never was able to shoot it as accurately as I find acceptable, not the guns fault. I really liked a lot of things about it but just didn’t work for me so I sold it. Last but not least was a nice older Rossi revolver, don’t remember the model number. It held six rounds with a three inch barrel and was a nice gun. This one had nice rifling and really fit me. It shot very accurately and I really liked it, when it actually functioned which was probably one in 30 cylinders full of ammo. So I contacted Taurus and they emailed me a return label since it was included in a safety recall. After about three months they contacted me saying it couldn’t be fixed since they no longer supported that model and the would replace it with literally the cheapest snub they make with a five shot capacity. I called to see if they would just give me credit instead but no go. So I figured what the heck and accepted the deal, beats a stick in the eye. After nine months of nothing I contacted them as to why I never received the firearm, they were out of stock and said if I would accept a Poly Protector instead they could ship one. Three weeks later it showed up and I had to fork out $30.00 for the transfer. Then finally another four months later I received a check for $50.00 to compensate for my troubles. So essentially a year and a half later I have a gun I’m still trying to like but not too tickled with that also has a rough bore. Accuracy wise it’s just ok, but the trigger pull is horrendous and no one from Taurus can seem to give me an answer about what springs would fit so I can get lighter ones. So in a long winded way their CS is horrendous, but it could have been worse I could have ended up with nothing considering I bought a used gun that didn’t work.
Old June 20, 2020, 09:42 AM   #15
Zzeke

I had a Taurus model 66 stainless 4" .357 that I really liked. It was "well used" when I got it, but it functioned flawlessly. In single action, the trigger would break if you lightly blew on it! It really was TOO light, if you can believe that.
Old June 20, 2020, 10:38 AM   #16
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
You disappeared for 3 years, only to come back to post something like that?
...With no references, examples, or links.

Who's got your goat?
Mentioning Taurus is enough to generate the sort of long and heated thread we see here.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 20, 2020, 10:43 AM   #17
Onward Allusion

Maybe back in the day but I think more on this forum have become significantly more knowledgeable with Taurus firearms.

Although I personally don't own any Taurus semi-autos, except for a Taurus 25, I still own a half dozen of their revolvers. Over the years, I've had a couple of dozen. Each one functioned reliability. Accuracy on par with my S&W's and Rugers. The only things that stood out were the rougher tool cuts, tool marks, & thin finish on blued pieces.

These days, I am tempted to pick up a G3 but am willing to wait until gun prices in general come back down some.
Old June 20, 2020, 11:05 AM   #18
MillCreek

^^^I am reading some interesting things about the new G3C. But to keep to the point of the thread, I own several Taurus revolvers all bought in the 90's and 2000's, and none of them have given me any trouble. The cylinder release on my Poly Protectors is very tight, and I hope it will eventually loosen up. If they came out again with some of the Total Titanium snub nose models, I would snatch some of them up.

I don't think I have noticed moderator bias, per se, but it can sometimes be difficult to separate out statements made in their role as a member of this board vs. statements made in their role as a moderator of this board.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old June 20, 2020, 11:32 AM   #19
Double K

Personally never known a single person that had trouble with them but many gunshop owners say they get quite a few back with issues.
Smith&Wessons have gotten so expensive the last few years Taurus should be able to compete in the marketplace if their quality control gets better.
Always wanted a 22mag revolver, the 992 is pretty heavy even in 4", if they made a small frame 4" with adjustable sight I'd probably buy one.
Anyone here have a 992?
Old June 20, 2020, 11:38 AM   #20
Dan-O

I’ve had more issues with SW revos lately, and one of them was a PC to boot.
Old June 20, 2020, 12:21 PM   #21
Mike38

Quote:
Is this forum biased against Taurus with moderators browbeating those who post positive things about Taurus? I am asking because if so, I do not belong on this forum and want no part of it.
Not at all. You can count on a moderator to step in if you post deeply political opinions, racist comments, or what they call drive by posts. Other then that, join in and have fun.

I have a Taurus Model 83 - .38Spcl. Bought at an auction for $210. It is what it is. An inexpesive revolver that goes bang each and every time I press the trigger. Good accuracy too boot.
Old June 20, 2020, 12:30 PM   #22
armabill

I've only had 2 Taurus revolvers. One misfired because of firing pin not hitting the primer hard enough and the other one had a bent barrel.

Taurus replaced the barrel but I fixed the other problem myself.

As of now, I don't own any Taurus products.
Old June 20, 2020, 12:35 PM   #23
Bayou

I've only got one Taurus Tracker - year 2000 or so - model 970 in 22lr. After some polishing and changing springs, it sports a 2 3/4 pound trigger break and an action as smooth as a Colt Diamondback against which I compared it side-by-side. This thing is now a contender.

Pic :

Bayou

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"

Last edited by Bayou; June 20, 2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old June 20, 2020, 02:18 PM   #24
KyJim

I've owned two Taurus handguns. The first was a PT-92 many years ago that never failed to function. I traded it because I could not find thin grips for it and I have small hands. I also bought a used .38 spl revolver (not sure of the model). I liked it because it had a nice trigger pull. Then I shot it and discovered about every third or fourth round failed to fire due to light strikes. I'm sure somebody trying to do a cheap "trigger job" had put in a spring that was too light. I got rid of it, too.

So, I don't have anything specifically against Taurus. I have simply gravitated to other brands over the years. The biggest complaint I see about Taurus on this and other forums is the quality control/customer service issue. I haven't seen any moderator "brow beat" anybody over anything. That doesn't mean they won't disagree with somebody. If you can't take some disagreement, you're only hurting yourself.
Old June 20, 2020, 04:03 PM   #25
dmattaponi

Taurus haters?

I’m not a Taurus hater, but after owning 7 Taurus handguns, I no longer purchase Taurus guns. I tried very hard to like them, but got tired of buying new guns and having to send them back for repairs...and waiting months for their return. Now, these experiences were all pre 2008, so maybe they’ve improved. In my experience it’s the Taurus fans who making accusations...like calling someone a Taurus hater because of an honest response, etc. if you like Taurus and they work for you, that great. Have at em.

Taurus guns owned..,
850 x 2
Pt111

The 94 and 605 were great. The 905, one of the 850s and the PT111 malfunctioned and/or broke the first time out. The 85 also had problems, but I had a friend who was willing to work on it, so he took it off my hands. Years later he still has problems with it, but keeps it as a range gun for some reason. One of the 850 was also good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by dmattaponi; June 20, 2020 at 04:14 PM.
Closed Thread