The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 6, 2021, 12:49 PM   #1
stuckinthe60s

any va residents here?

lets talk new stupid laws.
basically, there are no more face to face private transfers of guns as of last june.
fine.
now, in order for me to buy a gun from someone else in va....whats the next step?
im being told that gun dealers cant even do private transfers unless their business is on an authorized state police list of dealers.

who has that list?
getting thru to state police is impossible. (mailbox full) then a hang up.
anyone hear have a link or would cut/paste it here or pm it to me?
lmk

next...set for june 2021, state police require people to submit for a state background check thru them (before) approaching a dealer to do a transfer? true false?
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old March 6, 2021, 05:10 PM   #2
Coppershot

I regret to say I do not know the answers to your questions. We'll see how this plays. As you suggest, compliance is not only unreasonable but also not possible.

It is hard to say where we are at this point. We all want to obey the law though it has become difficult to know what the law requires. There will be some notice (i.e., due process) issues arising out of this.
Old March 6, 2021, 05:45 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Question: Is this an actual law that has passed the legislature and been signed by the governor, or is this proposed legislation that's still going through the process? Citation to section of statute or to bill number(s)?
Jeepaholic
Old March 7, 2021, 07:21 AM   #4
Msauter

Regarding the FTF transfers, the easiest way is to identify a dealer that is convenient to both parties, then call them to ask if they handle FTF transfers and also be sure to ask what they charge for fees, since it varies from place to place. When they passed the law here in VA, I was under the impression they were limited to max $15 fee, but this does not seem to be the case. I have done a FTF transfer at a pawn shop (FFL) that charged a flat $20 fee, and have also done FTF at a gun dealer that charged $15 to the seller and $28 to the buyer. Bad law creates bad results.
Old March 7, 2021, 07:40 AM   #5
MC 1911

Go to VAGT site & they have a list of dealers there. Not the only ones that will do a transfer but it's a start.
Old March 8, 2021, 09:05 AM   #6
GE-Minigun

Both of you go to any dealer you want…you fill out the 4473 and SP-65…dealer makes the call and if you’re approved you both go on your way. Some dealer will log the gun in (not a requirement unless…see below). Dealer can only charge $15 for the call in, however he can charge any additional “admin fee” he wants.

If you’re delayed it gets a little complicated…seller has the choice of either walking with the gun or giving it to the dealer to finish the transfer once the approval comes back. If he walks the transaction is cancelled, if he wants the dealer to handle it from there, the gun will need to be logged in.

There isn’t a dealer only list…some dealers do not want to deal with the hassle of logging in the gun with a delayed response (I’m one of them) I only do FTF if I know the people WILL NOT be delayed…in other words only the customers I already know.

False…why go through two background checks…the FTF is an NICS background check.