The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2006, 06:48 PM   #1
flycaster

O.K.- enough complaints about the Glock grip angle

We have all read about the "unnatural" grip angle of the Glock pistols. Personally, I have no problem with it, but that's just me. To my point: while scores complain about the Glock grip angle, almost as many praise the feel of the CZ grip (me among them). Lots of people feel that the CZ points well, indeed. So- I compared the angles of a Glock 19, a 1911, and a CZ-85. Guess what? The CZ grip angle is rather more severe than the Glock's. Yes, I know everyone has their own personal tastes, but why complain about the less extreme, and praise the more extreme? Just askin, ya know!

Chuck
Old September 6, 2006, 06:52 PM   #2
Love&Hate12

It fits me like a glove.
Old September 6, 2006, 07:00 PM   #3
JIH

Everyone's hand/wrist/arm is different. I love CZs, XDs, SIGs, and H&Ks because the angle works for me. S&Ws, Glocks, and 1911s, on the other hand, I just don't shoot well. That doesn't make them bad guns... they're great guns... for other people.
Old September 6, 2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

I have large, thick hands and my Glock 22 fits like it was made for me.... Best fitting hand gun I've ever shot.
Old September 6, 2006, 08:49 PM   #5
10milg29

I think the "unnatural" grip angle card has been played a few times too many. I have no problem tearing the center ring out of my targets. None of my Glocks has EVER failed me which is more than I can say of other brands. I find the Glock reliability unmatched by the H&K's/Sigs/S&W's I've owned over the years. Not to say I don't appreciate them as they all are fine firearms.
Old September 6, 2006, 08:56 PM   #6
snscott

The first time I held a Glock (21), I did not even know about the grip angle controversy, and guess what? I didn't notice anything odd when I held it. I wonder how much of it is "preconceived"?
Old September 6, 2006, 09:07 PM   #7
EIGHTYDUECE

The CZ grip angle is not as severe as the Glock.

The CZ-75B is the same grip angle as a 1911. I own both and just did a check to make sure after hearing your statement.

I have no problem with the Glock at all even though I mainly shoot my Sig 226, Colt 1991A1 and CZ-75B.

I even shoot my Makarov and CZ-52s with no ill effect and they have grip angles that go extreme (mainly the CZ-52) in the other direction.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old September 6, 2006, 09:09 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

Quote:
The CZ grip angle is rather more severe than the Glock's.
Unfortunately, I believe that is a factually incorrect statement, and since it's your only premise, then we're back to square one, it would seem. Glocks blow.
Old September 6, 2006, 09:25 PM   #9
Majic

Quote:
So- I compared the angles of a Glock 19, a 1911, and a CZ-85.
Exactly how did you compare the 3 pistols to arrive at your conclusion?
Old September 6, 2006, 09:31 PM   #10
BobK

Another useless Glock thread.

Glocknazi's unite!!:barf:
Old September 6, 2006, 09:33 PM   #11
Topthis

Owning several of the guns that have been mentioned in this thread and being one that has a small issue with the Angle thingy...when I read that the CZ has a greater angle than the Glock, I immediately said No Friggin Way...but just to be sure, I took em out and held them next to each other...now I can positively say...No Friggin Way!! LoL!! Just outta curiosity, what makes you say that the CZ has a greater angle??
Old September 6, 2006, 09:58 PM   #12
Bonstrosity

I at first thought the glock grip angle wasn't very good so I bought an xd b/c of their ergos. I then shot a glock and knew I had to trade my xd for one. I think people sit and try to find things wrong w/ the glock and the grip being one of them, but if you just pick it up and shoot it'll fit just fine and shoot where you want it to.
Old September 6, 2006, 10:31 PM   #13
Destructo6

HK/SIG/1911/CZ all have grip angles that I find point naturally.

Glocks require me to bend my wrist oddly. It shoot well for me, but it didn't feel natural. If it works for you, have at it.

Keep all of them clean.
Old September 6, 2006, 10:57 PM   #14
Ralph2

I have a Glock a Sig and a CZ and don't find myself doing anything unnatural or holding at an odd angle. Now a Steyer.........

As Jimi said, "Scuse' me while I shoot the sky" or something like that.
Old September 7, 2006, 12:11 AM   #15
croyance

People complain about things they don't like. Welcome to the internet. Wait until you discover blogs. Then you will really see complaining, though some are quite funny and witty about it.
For an American that didn't grow up on Colt Woodsman's or Ruger .22LRs, the grip angle can be un-natural. But many adjust to it. Natural is what you are used to.
Unless you see the CZ-75 as having come completely around and back to its present location, it isn't more extreme than a Glock. Maybe you have a radically different hold.
Old September 7, 2006, 01:43 AM   #16
mete

I have always been a strong proponent of having a gun that fits and points well. It's much better ,especially for SD shooting . With some you have an option - the straight or curved mainspring housing of the 1911 and now I applaude the HK P2000 and S&W M-P for their interchangeable backstraps !!!
Old September 7, 2006, 02:00 AM   #17
Onebum

is there more to it than the angle?

glocks, I don't like 'em so the angle doesn't matter to me, but folks mention it plenty. I do have a thought/question about the comparison though.

That a Glock is the same/similar as CZ's is interesting, but I wonder if there is more to it than just the angle...The SHAPE and the TRIGGER REACH/TRIGGER LOCATION may be what folks are not liking, yet they are blaming the angle. Just a thought...hell, for all I know the trigger may be lined up in the same area as the CZ's ya'll are talking about...it just came to mind so I figured I'd mention it.
Old September 7, 2006, 05:16 AM   #18
BLKLABMAN

I own several Glocks.
Two G17's for USPSA,IPSC
Two G23's for CCW and IDPA.
A G20 and G29

Wife sold her HKP2000SK, and bought two G26's after trying one at a sub match.

We have owned other makes, and prefer Glock.
On the grip angle thing.
We find the grip angle to be perfect. Some do not, and that's fine.
Old September 7, 2006, 06:00 AM   #19
threegun

The reason you hear so much about Glocks "bad" grip angle is because people have nothing else to complain about with the gun. They subconsciously realize that the ugly plastic blocky pistol is superior to their carry gun and should be carrying one, so they need a cop-out reason to reject it. It use to be the "no external safety" excuse but that implies a lack of gun handling skills. Really you only hear about Glocks grip angle..........Glocks grip angle.....what a joke. Every other gun fits like a glove but Glocks grip angle is bad LOL. People have been making excuses for years "my dog ate it", "the train caught me", "the power went out and turned the alarm off" for some it is true for most its a cop-out excuse.
Old September 7, 2006, 07:03 AM   #20
johnbt

"Scuse' me while I shoot the sky" - Thank you!! I needed a chuckle this morning.

The blocky Glock grip just doesn't fit my hand. I've thought about recontouring one, or paying to have it done, but I have enough great guns as it is. It's the blocky grip that's had me referring to them for years as bricks with triggers. That's life folks, no need to get upset.

John
Old September 7, 2006, 08:37 AM   #21
shield20

Nice try, but that's bull 3gun.

The Glock is great gun, but when I hold it naturally it points too high. REALITY - and obviously not just me, but loads of others too. Whether it is the actual angle, or the shape, or WHATEVER - the Glock does NOT point naturally for me like Berettas, SIGs, 1911s, CZs, XDs, Walthers and most others do. More like a standard revolver where you have to consciously bring the front sight down to be on target - not the best choice for CCW with so many other great pistols out there. Glad it works for you, but I avoid it as it would be a poor compromise that offers no saving advantage.
Old September 7, 2006, 08:53 AM   #22
rick_reno

Don't worry, in 2012 Homeland Security will determine that the differences in our hand sizes are THE principle terrorist threat and they'll mandate that our hand sizes must be uniform. The different hand sizes make them unable to fit into their newly developed Simple Hand Identification of Terrorists (****S) machines, which are being placed everywhere people gather in groups greater than two. DHS will deploy emergency mobile surgery clinics and we will all be required to report for hand modification. Handgun grips fitting hands will no longer be an issue because by 2014, after 6 years of the Clinton Presidency the dozen or so handguns that are produced for police will fit everyone - and finally this issue will be put to rest forever.
Old September 7, 2006, 10:25 AM   #23
Majic

No need to get bent out of shape Threegun as the Glock just doesn't fit everyone. No fixed postion gun will as everyone is different and have their own preferences. One of the reasons the 1911 is popular is because you can change out the MSH and trigger to make it fit different perferences. It's not a bash on Glock just that it's grip angle doesn't suit everyone. If you are used to shooting pistols with a grip angle like a 1911 then you pick up a Glock (or any pistol with a similar grip angle) close your eyes and point it on target when you open your eyes it will be pointing high. To many experienced shooters that makes a difference to them and being a Glock fan doesn't change that. The Glock is a good gun, a very good gun in fact, but it's not superior to any other high quality pistol and no everyone shouldn't be carrying one. Everyone should carry what best suits their own personal needs. That's why the market has so many different models.
Old September 7, 2006, 10:31 AM   #24
Moloch

Quote:
Another useless Glock thread.

Glocknazi's unite!!
Damn trollnazi!

However, first time I held a glock and I also didnt know anything about the grip-angle problems, the Glock grip it fits me very well.
I have very large hands and long fingers; the wide grip doesn't make any problems.

But even the extra-large grip of my desert eagle makes no problems.
Old September 7, 2006, 01:29 PM   #25
HorseSoldier

Glocks have things going for them -- pretty good accuracy and quite good reliability for a very acceptable price.

But I do find their grips to feel about like a bad Mardi Gras hang over complete with the discovery that you're laying in an alley in a pool of vomit.

Someone else's vomit.

The grip angle is why I got rid of mine, and why I'm unlikely to buy another. Some people don't mind it, some people find it actually works better for them than a conventional grip angle. I'm personally just not one of either of those groups.

I do think that Glock's dogged loyalty to that wonky grip angle is one of several indicators of their commitment to ignoring what the shooting public wants and such, but that's another topic. I will say that if they ever started building guns for the human hand, I'd likely start buying them