The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 4, 2018, 04:33 PM   #1
Romulus

Remington authorized repair center

Good day, all ye excellent members of this forum.

Years ago, after my 870P failed after a measly 50 rounds, I took it to a local repair shop, the now thankfully deceased Gander Mountain. The ejector spring had come loose. The repair shop re-peened the existing rivet, while taking little care to protect the polished blue finish. I can live with the damage to the finish (fairly minor however noticeable,) but am concerned about the quality of the repair as I learn more about this shotgun. I would assume that the existing rivet was re-cut and not replaced. Do any of you have good recommendations with authorized repair centers (e.g. Ahlman's?) that could inspect the quality of repair, so that I can sleep easier that the ejector spring will hold? And if a new ejector spring rivet is required, that the repair center would do a good refinish job after installation of said rivet?

I thank in advance everyone who offers their recommendation, experience and advice.

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old March 6, 2018, 12:36 PM   #2
johnwilliamson062

Why not just send it back to Remington?
Sales are slow right now. Most manufacturers service will probably be pretty good.
Old March 6, 2018, 02:08 PM   #3
Romulus

John, thank you kindly for your response. I hesitate to send it back to Remington as they appear to be entering bankruptcy, and over the years I have read nightmares about people sending in firearms and the bankrupt company failing to return items within their care. Thanks again,
Rom

Old March 6, 2018, 02:22 PM   #4
Fishbed77

Quote:
John, thank you kindly for your response. I hesitate to send it back to Remington as they appear to be entering bankruptcy, and over the years I have read nightmares about people sending in firearms and the bankrupt company failing to return items within their care. Thanks again,
Rom
Bankruptcy doesn't mean they are out of business. It means (in very simplified terms) that they are restructuring in order to stay in business and enter into a debt repayment plan.

If anything, Remington would want to maintain strong customer service during this time in order to show potential investors the viability of their business.
Old March 6, 2018, 02:57 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Go here. You want Consumer Services/Parts & Service. If the Gander Mountain was an Authorized Repair shop you might still be under warrantee.
https://www.remington.com/contact-us
Old March 6, 2018, 07:52 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

When I was growing up my father took our little electric chainsaw to the local dealer to be serviced. Later that week a tornado hit, leveled the building and took the chainsaw who knows where. The owner was retirement age, the business wasn't very profitable at that point, so he declared bankruptcy and closed the doors. I was 18 before I had regular access to a chainsaw again. So I can sympathize with your concerns.
Not the same as Remington's bankruptcy though. They are restructuring. Screwing their old debtees and looking for a new sucker. Bad things, like voiding old warranties, can happen in this process, but it usually takes some time. Remington just filed so it will be months before much of anything really changes. Should have your gun back before that.
Old March 9, 2018, 07:29 PM   #7
jmr40

Shoot it. You said the repair was done years ago and it still hasn't broke. Probably never will and it is a simple repair job if it does.

Winston Churchill
Old March 11, 2018, 02:47 PM   #8
Romulus

I just wanted again to thank all respondents. I will ask Remington for a shipping label and send to Ilion. I couldn't be more grateful for everyone's input. Thanks to all and best,
Rom

Old March 24, 2018, 11:19 PM   #9
Virginian

You do realize that the ejector spring is not even necessary as long as you cycle the pump with some vigor don't you ? The step on the ejector will still kick the empty out.
Old March 26, 2018, 03:40 PM   #10
FITASC

Do you not have any regular (actual) gunsmiths where you live? Any decent smith can fix a Remington with their eyes closed
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa