The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 9, 2018, 03:48 AM   #51
armoredman

Same ammo in all mags, regardless.
Quote:
"...loading the last magazine with..." If you can't fix whatever mess you got into with one mag, you're in waaaay over your head. A second or third mag is not going to make any difference.
You are not going into combat. Nor are you fighting crime.
"...quality ammunition that Law Enforcement carries..." Ammo is sold to 'em by the highest bidder. Isn't necessarily "quality". Most cops never practice with or even fire their issue firearm
Maybe in Canada, amigo, but down here in the States some LEOs actually enjoy shooting and do practice. I also see local LE carrying pretty darn good ammo, not lowest bidder junk - if that was true we'd all be carrying Lester's Cheapest Ammo. I always carry a spare magazine, just in case of malfunctions. I hope I never have to fire a round, and so far, so good.
Old February 9, 2018, 05:39 PM   #52
BIGR

Quote:
Same ammo in all mags, regardless.
Quote:
"...loading the last magazine with..." If you can't fix whatever mess you got into with one mag, you're in waaaay over your head. A second or third mag is not going to make any difference.
You are not going into combat. Nor are you fighting crime.
"...quality ammunition that Law Enforcement carries..." Ammo is sold to 'em by the highest bidder. Isn't necessarily "quality". Most cops never practice with or even fire their issue firearm
Maybe in Canada, amigo, but down here in the States some LEOs actually enjoy shooting and do practice. I also see local LE carrying pretty darn good ammo, not lowest bidder junk - if that was true we'd all be carrying Lester's Cheapest Ammo. I always carry a spare magazine, just in case of malfunctions. I hope I never have to fire a round, and so far, so good.
Not where I am from, Law Enforcement in my state has to do a yearly qualification to meet training and standards. Also through out the year they practice with their duty weapon and I know several of the them carry Speer Gold Dot which is nothing to laugh at. It has preformed very well in actual shootings and you can TAKE THAT TO THE BANK AS THEY SAY.
Old February 10, 2018, 03:08 AM   #53
armoredman

I'm assuming you were responding to the guy I quoted?
Old February 10, 2018, 08:31 AM   #54
BIGR

Yes armoredman, I was responding to the information that the person was referring to, about no practice and cheapest ammo. Your quote just got caught up in it, sorry for any confusion, no jabs against you.

I don't know of any Law Enforcement department in my state that would even tolerate, no qualification and no practice. Yearly qualification is required by training and standards. An Officer must qualify with whatever gun they carry on duty, be it a pistol, rifle, shotgun and even your back up pistols.

And yes there could be some Departments that don't even require practice, but maybe just qualify, I am sure there are more lax departments through the US. Then on the other hand I'M sure some Officers practice on a regular basis, even on their own time because they want to stay proficient with their duty weapon.
Old February 10, 2018, 10:51 AM   #55
Bartholomew Roberts

Yes, although once upon a time I used to carry two glasers in the top of the magazine. Since receiving more training and seeing some actual shooting investigations, my pistols are all loaded with JHP that meets the FBI standards. Given the role of the pistol, I think mix and match ammo is generally a mediocre idea. With a long gun, you have to give a little more thought to ammo selection and I might keep some mags of different ammo.
Old February 10, 2018, 06:21 PM   #56
briandg

I can guarantee without any equivocation that if and when I wind up in a life and death situation and I have started to shoot, thinking about what bullet is in my pistol will be the very last thing that I have time and energy to do.

I have set a standard round. I practice with similar rounds. I will have myself tuned to using the same round that I practice with when I have to use it for real.

KISS. I have to remind myself that on an everyday basis.
Old February 12, 2018, 03:31 PM   #57
Tactical Jackalope

Updated:

I've swapped over all the guns to Federal HST 124gr in 9mm and 230gr in 45ACP.
Old February 12, 2018, 03:59 PM   #58
BIGR

Quote:
I've swapped over all the guns to Federal HST 124gr in 9mm and 230gr in 45ACP.

Do you guys like the Federal HST? Mainly been a Speer Gold Dot person myself, always open to suggestions.
Old February 12, 2018, 04:03 PM   #59
Lohman446

Quote:
Do you guys like the Federal HST? Mainly been a Speer Gold Dot person myself, always open to suggestions.
Despite starting this thread I'm a fan of high quality consistent ammunition. I happen to have chosen the HST but I don't think either of the choices is wrong.

My one exception is I keep a magazine of Underwood extreme penetrator for my P938 which I carry when I am out jogging because I am more concerned about meeting a woodland creature and needing the ability to penetrate than I am with meeting a two legged predator.
Old February 14, 2018, 07:07 PM   #60
RETG

All magazines for all guns? NO, I do not load them the same.

My two around town weapons; H&K P30SK and a Beretta PX4 9mm have all their mags loaded with Winchester PDX1 JHP ammo. And I very seldom take a spare mag when carrying any of these guns. However, these are also the two guns I have loaded at all times when in the house. One on a table that goes into the bedroom with me at night; the other....well it's somewhere in the house believe me.

However, I have a Beretta PX4, .40 cal that I travel with when I go camping. I have five mags, two are loaded with Winchester PDX 1 JHP, the other three are loaded with 200 gr. Buffalo Bore HC-FN ammo.

I travel from home to the camp site with the Beretta loaded with JHP; however, when I get to the camp site, the JHP mag is removed and replaced with one of the Buffalo bore mags, and the other two Buffalo bore mags are in a double, horizontal mag pouch on my belt. This is what I normally hike with; although depending on different areas, I might also have a .44 mag strapped to my chest.

I will switch back to the JHP mag when I go into town, to visit someone or heading home, and when returning to the campsite, swap back to the Buffalo Bore mag. (At all times, there is a JHP in the chamber that I just leave in there rather than swap out rounds from the chamber.)

The Buffalo Bore is a better defensive round against four-legged critters.
Old March 6, 2018, 11:28 PM   #61
CCCLVII

I admit that have have been known to carry the first 1-2 rounds as shot shells when in snake country.