The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old September 12, 2010, 08:11 PM   #76
Zak Smith

Yes, but you can't call into NICS unless you're filling out a 4473. Since a 4473 is not required, and in fact cannot be done in this case since the transferee is not present, a NICS check cannot be done.

ETA: I agree that the gunsmith/manufacturer can ship it directly back to the owner; however, he cannot do a NICS check before shipping it as you suggested.
Old September 12, 2010, 08:49 PM   #77
ZeroJunk

Quote:
however, he cannot do a NICS check before shipping it as you suggested.
Wasn't me if that was directed at me.

478.147 actually directs you to that "provided" by 478.124

As near as I can tell some are trying to make this more complicated than it is. Ship the rifle back, let the maufacturer do whatever, and they will either send you back a new or repaired rifle, or tell you the problem is somewhere else and send it back as it is.

If somebody can show where the law has changed that is fine, but ATF has not changed their website.

Quote:
478.147 Return of firearm.
A person not otherwise prohibited by Federal, State or local law may ship a firearm to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer for any lawful purpose, and, notwithstanding any other provision of this part, the licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer may return in interstate or foreign commerce to that person the firearm or a replacement firearm of the same kind and type.
Quote:
Form 4473: Provided, That a firearms transaction record, Form 4473, shall not be required to record the disposition made of a firearm delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing when such firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received.
Old September 12, 2010, 08:53 PM   #78
Zak Smith

Sorry, my bad. I thought that was a follow-up to my response to Powderman's post.
Old September 12, 2010, 09:03 PM   #79
Powderman

It was, and I stand corrected.

The only time the repaired firearm has to come back to an FFL is if the serial number changes on the original firearm. As in, they have to replace the receiver with a new receiver with a different serial.
Old September 12, 2010, 09:13 PM   #80
ZeroJunk

Quote:
The only time the repaired firearm has to come back to an FFL is if the serial number changes on the original firearm. As in, they have to replace the receiver with a new receiver with a different serial.

I'm not sure that is even the case. I have friend who had a problem with a BAR and Browning sent a new one straight to him.

The statutes say replacements as well in both instances.
Old September 12, 2010, 09:18 PM   #81
Powderman

Yes, but if I'm not mistaken, the serial number must be the same.

I sent my Model 29 in to Smith and Wesson for an overhaul. While it was there, they managed to crack the frame.

They found a frame from a 29-2 and rebuilt the gun inside that frame, and re-serialed it with the same serial number. Cost for the overhaul, plus parts and a master re-blue? $200.00. Cost for the frame? Zero.
Old September 12, 2010, 10:11 PM   #82
krinko

Further ACR firing tests with commercial ammunition have resulted in no slam fires whatsoever.

Ammunition used this afternoon---

I started with the Hornady, Lot #3100429---two in the magazine, just in case---and was mildly disappointed when it worked normally.
Fired twenty Hornady, twenty Winchester, twenty reloads done with thin Remington primers, twenty Remmy PSP, twenty Fiocchi and none of the PPU---since I had already run that through the rifle. As stated above, no problems.
So the proposition that the ACR is dangerous with commercial ammunition can be dismissed, can't it?

Shouldn't the OPs rifle fire a little bit more--before it goes anywhere?
-----krinko
Old September 12, 2010, 10:25 PM   #83
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Reading through all this, it looks like to me that Post #61 was about as good as it gets.

Enough. Deal with Bushmaster and then post the results in a new thread. We don't need more drama, here...
Closed Thread

Tags
acr , bushmaster , slam fire