The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 4, 2023, 02:34 AM   #1
Tejicano

Para Military Training - Pricing

I believe my question might be something which has not been asked here before.

A company I have been affiliated with is asking me to put together a group of former US military to be trainers for an offshore Private Military Corporation (PMC). (I've got a pretty good network to source these trainers) This PMC would be based in a nation which is friendly to the US and to US interests so I see no state department nor DOD conflict with this project.

The courses would cover everything from basic firearms handling to advanced urban tactical team movements with long arms including vehicles. This is quite different from the usual Front Site/Thunder Ranch scenario which is mainly focused on individual self defense.

My issue; I need to develop the pricing/costs for what to charge the clients and what to pay the instructors. Can anybody point me to a professional school that teaches real world, para-military training like this?
Old April 4, 2023, 04:06 PM   #2
Sharkbite

That would seem to me to be the very definition of an ITAR violation without State Dept approval. ITAR covers not just equipment, but intellectual property as well. Training falls under that.
Might want to look a little deeper into the legal aspects.
Old April 4, 2023, 09:26 PM   #3
Tejicano

I might be inclined to agree if this involved either a) export of technology and/or munitions, or b) export of anything from the US.

In this case all these activities are primary military methods used by any professional military - nothing specific nor unique to US military doctrine - and this training would all happen outside the US. In fact, the details of the training program would be defined by foreign military SME's so there really isn't any US military/defense-related content to be "exported".

All I am looking for is a place that provides this type of training just to see what the going market rate would be.
Old April 5, 2023, 01:19 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

It may not be an issue, but it might be wise to look into it a bit more.

https://www.tradecompliance.pitt.edu...-services-itar

Export of Defense Articles and Services (ITAR)

Defense Service means providing assistance, including training, to a foreign person, whether in the United States or abroad in the design, manufacture, installation, repair, or operation of a defense article, as well as providing technical data.
Old April 5, 2023, 07:40 AM   #5
stuckinthe60s

blackwater inc...aka: z.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old April 5, 2023, 05:11 PM   #6
shafter

I think you're going to run into a lot of competition nowadays with the market flooded with GWOT veterans who really know their stuff.

If you have to ask on a generic firearms forum for names of companies you can window shop you might want to consider your connections to this industry and the feasibility of your project. Not intending this as a dig but this isn't a field I'd want to mess around in as an amateur.
Old April 5, 2023, 06:45 PM   #7
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter View Post
I think you're going to run into a lot of competition nowadays with the market flooded with GWOT veterans who really know their stuff.

If you have to ask on a generic firearms forum for names of companies you can window shop you might want to consider your connections to this industry and the feasibility of your project. Not intending this as a dig but this isn't a field I'd want to mess around in as an amateur.

+1.
Old April 6, 2023, 12:44 PM   #8
Electrod47

Mercenary's don't come cheap.
Old May 19, 2023, 06:08 PM   #9
Mannlicher

Might also check State laws. In many States, paramilitary/militia training is illegal. It's that way in FL and has been for probably 40 years.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 19, 2023, 08:54 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Might also check State laws. In many States, paramilitary/militia training is illegal. It's that way in FL and has been for probably 40 years.
See post #3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejicano
... this training would all happen outside the US.
Also, as in my state, paramilitary training is NOT illegal across the board in Florida. It is illegal only when

Quote:
(3)(a) Whoever teaches or demonstrates to any other person the use, application, or making of any firearm, destructive device, or technique capable of causing injury or death to persons, knowing or having reason to know or intending that the same will be unlawfully employed for use in, or in furtherance of, a civil disorder within the United States, is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
(b) Whoever assembles with one or more persons for the purpose of training with, practicing with, or being instructed in the use of any firearm, destructive device, or technique capable of causing injury or death to persons, intending to unlawfully employ the same for use in, or in furtherance of, a civil disorder within the United States, is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/790.29
Jeepaholic