The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 4, 2023, 07:59 PM   #1
Geezerbiker

Anybody here make their own silencer?

I plan to file the paper work with the BATF and pay the tax so I can make my own silencer. I can manage the bux for the tax stamp but the cost of a new silencer is just a bit out of my budget right now.

So anyone know what forms I need to download to get this started?

If I end up needing to get a lathe, I can use it for other projects and it will be money better spent in the long run.

Tony
Old September 5, 2023, 09:05 AM   #2
taylorce1

I don't know if things have been figured out but last year the ATF denied a lot of Form 1 silencers. There are several articles out on the subject. I'd do a little more research before running out to buy a lathe.

If you just want to try an affordable suppressor look at Witt Tool and Machine, you can buy a suppressor with stamp for around $500. A decent lathe, with attachments, measuring tools, consumables, and practice stock is going to alow you to buy several suppressors and stamps.
Old September 9, 2023, 12:26 PM   #3
Geezerbiker

Whitt Machine products are a game changer. Previously I was looking at a minimum of 750 bux for a silencer but they have a really nice looking one for $299. I can swing that with in a year but it would have taken me a few to save up for something else.

I still want a lathe for other projects (motorcycle related) but it like other bucket list items can wait...

Tony
Old September 10, 2023, 11:36 AM   #4
Ricklin

Things are a Changin

My favorite fun store is a class three dealer, I have been getting the itch of late. I'd like to add a can to my favorite .22 rifle and pistol.
500 bucks + or - a bit will buy a can and a tax stamp "nowadays" the manufacturer's and dealers seem to focus around the 500 dollar mark.
My shop advised one of the online companies to set up my trust, he printed me a little cheat sheet as to the steps and forms.
My Ruger Mk. 3 and my Walther bullpup will be wearing a can.
Old September 10, 2023, 02:39 PM   #5
smee78

I believe a 22-can is one of the best cans you can buy. They can be used on a ton of weapons and they really are "movie quiet". I get a big smile every time I take mine out and is a great tool to get new shooters into shooting without developing a flench when learning the basics.
Old September 15, 2023, 10:04 PM   #6
taylorce1

Get the .30 cal can, it'll work rimfire on up.
Old September 16, 2023, 08:56 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

*If user-serviceable and maintained.

If not, it'll work for about 1,200 rounds of rimfire, and then either just stop working, or blow some chunks loose, cause a baffle strike, and be junk.
Old September 19, 2023, 08:43 AM   #8
taylorce1

@FrankenMauser,

I will not buy another rimfire suppressor, they are just a PITA to clean. I'll buy another .22 cal suppressor rated for full auto .223/5.56 to use on my rimfires. After shooting around 1K rimfire just swap it to my AR and dump 20-30 rounds through it rapid fire. That will clean the carbon and lube buildup right from the can, faster and easier than other methods I've tried.
Old September 21, 2023, 10:04 AM   #9
dogtown tom

Quote:
taylorce1 @FrankenMauser,

I will not buy another rimfire suppressor, they are just a PITA to clean. I'll buy another .22 cal suppressor rated for full auto .223/5.56 to use on my rimfires. After shooting around 1K rimfire just swap it to my AR and dump 20-30 rounds through it rapid fire. That will clean the carbon and lube buildup right from the can, faster and easier than other methods I've tried.
Says who?
I've yet to meet a silencer company that thinks thats a good idea.
Centerfire cans are usually sealed because centerfire rounds are so high pressure that carbon gets blown out and copper deposits are minimal. They don't make centerfire sealed cans for people to misuse with rimfire.

Rimfire? Not just a low pressure round, but carbon doesn't get blown out, you have soft lead accumulating inside as well. Think a mag dump is going to blow out that crud? Wishful thinking and you'll then go online researching "The Dip".

I think its nuts to make rimfire through a centerfire can a regular habit.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old September 22, 2023, 11:55 AM   #10
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom
Says who?
You're right bad info on my part, I should have been more specific. I was recently at a silencer shoot, guy was promoting Griffin Optimus Micro. It's technically a rimfire suppressor that properly configured can handle up to .22-250.

He was showing a dirty suppressor, reassembled dirty, then doing a mag dump out of an AR. He then took it apart and the majority of the crud was gone. It was still a user serviable suppressor not sealed.