The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 15, 2018, 05:19 AM   #1
chasep255

Martini Henry stock cup spring frozen.

I just picked up an Enfield Martini Henry MKIV which was from Nepal. It is in really great condition with only one problem so far which is the spring on the stock cup. It will no move. To close the level I need to give it a firm wack and to open it back up I need to flip the gun upside down and pull really hard. For those of you not familiar with the part I am talking about take a look at these links.

http://www.martinihenry.org/image/ca...up-500x700.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....rL._SY463_.jpg

https://cdn7.bigcommerce.com/s-1ah1x...=2&imbypass=on

I tried soaking the exposed part of the spring in PB Blaster overnight and it still will not budge. I am currently trying to see if some Hoppes 9 solvent will help. Does anyone have and advice for fixing it? I think I have three options.

I can continue to try penetrating oils and see if eventually that works. I might also try to use Kroil since I have heard good things about it. Anything better I might try?

I can grind off/down the end of the spring. I am not sure if I even really need the spring there.

I can try to remove the stock cup from the stock and fix it. Anyone know how to do this?
Old April 15, 2018, 12:35 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

All you accomplish with a bunch of penetrating oil is to cause oil softening of the surrounding wood. The problem is the "knob" on the end of the lever. It snaps into place to keep the lever in the closed position and needs to be gently trimmed to allow that to happen. Bear in mind that most if not all of those guns from Nepal were manufactured in small shops by native gunsmiths using whatever metals were at hand. Gotta admit they were quite talented at making copies but keep in mind that they are NOT the same rifles as factory made in England. GW
Old April 15, 2018, 02:07 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Bear in mind that most if not all of those guns from Nepal were manufactured in small shops by native gunsmiths using whatever metals were at hand. Gotta admit they were quite talented at making copies but keep in mind that they are NOT the same rifles as factory made in England. GW
IMA has been very good at sorting British rifles from Gahendras, from Nepalese Francottes, from Khyber Pass type stuff. And if there's any doubt about questionable markings or proofs, they assume the worst.

If they say it's a British rifle, odds are that it's a British rifle.
Old April 15, 2018, 02:48 PM   #4
chasep255

I ended up just grinding down the notch a bit and now it is good. Thanks for the advice.

Tags
henry , martini , spring , stuck