The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 4, 2018, 07:25 PM   #1
9mm

Help me ID this 10/22 I saw at field and stream tonight

I had to go there for unrelated reasons and decided to browse the firearms. I saw a 10/22 in flat dark earth with a American Ruger style stock removable cheek weld. It had a fixed bird cage flash "welded" with no threads under it according to the sales man.

It was only $279.99... I looked on Rugers website and searched the web, couldn't find anything on this ghost gun.

Could anyone help me out? I seem to think that the bird cage is removable and you can thread something on, the sales man said you can't..
Old April 4, 2018, 07:47 PM   #2
Pahoo

Take a look

Check this page and see if can find what you have described. It's likely to be a Distributor Exclusive. ....

https://ruger.com/products/1022Tactical/models.html

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; April 4, 2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old April 4, 2018, 08:33 PM   #3
9mm

Not listed there, its a flat dark earth color.
Old April 5, 2018, 07:19 AM   #4
Mobuck

Don't know about the stock but seriously doubt the "welded" FH unless it's to meet some dufus local regulations. The only real reason it would be welded would be to make the barrel legal length.
We have one of the "tatti-cool" versions with a gray(ish) stock color.
Old April 5, 2018, 09:57 AM   #5
jmr40

Sounds like a special run of the Tactical rifle made just for them. Ruger will make special versions for dealers who will buy a minimum number of guns. These are often not cataloged or put on the website.

Sales people are often wrong. I'm betting the flash hider comes off.

Winston Churchill
Old April 5, 2018, 10:35 AM   #6
Pahoo

Look for a Crush-Washer

Quote:
Sales people are often wrong. I'm betting the flash hider comes off.
Same here and sure would be nice to see a picture of this. .....

9mm,
Are you actually seeing a beaded weld? can you see a crush washer between the bird-cage and the end of the barrel. All the 10/22 Ruger barrels that I have seen, are threaded and held tight by a crush-washer. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 9, 2018, 03:35 PM   #7
Venom1956

Ive got that barrel laying around here somewhere its not welded its threaded.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old April 9, 2018, 07:21 PM   #8
Pahoo

Not welded

9mm,
Been ruminating on this for a couple of days and I see no practical reason to have a welded Hider or anything as It just doesn't make any sense. By being welded you give up any future options not to mention that production wise, it would be a big mistake. .....

Too many gun-counter guys, don't like to be second guessed. ....

Be Safe !!!